Tuner help

ohiomike

Depending on the year, it will most likely take an SCT tuner. I took my previous 09 FX4 to DTM brian an had it done. Just a fair warning, the ford trucks take...for...ever to program. (30-45min) I still have my SCT X3 an debated on taking it to him again, but nof sure if I want to risk the bigger extended warranty on the 5.0

If its a diesel and you need DEF/DEP deletes or EGR I recommend Gearhead Tunes, or Rudy's.  I've had both, just depends on motor and tuner.  For my 6.4L powerstroke I went with Gearhead and an SCT but that was before the EPA ban.

If it's a gasser, stay local and hit DTM Brian, he's the best in OH as far as I know and I've read up on a lot of forums about that back when I had my F150.  Granted it got stolen before I got it tuned, but yeah.  He did my RC51 when I had it too.

Glad someone started this thread. I have a 2013 ford fx4 Eco. When I first got it I was getting 18-20 city mpg's. Now I hover between 15.5-18. Wtf?? All I have done is k&n drop in filter. Thought about a whole cold air system, but then I will have to get it tuned. What is the best route to go for increasing the mpg's again and keeping/gaining more hp? Also what type of cost should I expect to incur through this?

Edited by Chrome

Glad someone started this thread. I have a 2013 ford fx4 Eco. When I first got it I was getting 18-20 city mpg's. Now I hover between 15.5-18. Wtf?? All I have done is k&n drop in filter. Thought about a whole cold air system, but then I will have to get it tuned. What is the best route to go for increasing the mpg's again and keeping/gaining more hp? Also what type of cost should I expect to incur through this?

High flow intake/air filter does exactly the opposite of increasing gas mileage. It allows more air flow, meaning you burn more fuel, thus creating more horsepower. Your MAF sensor (or whatever your truck has) detects the higher air flow and dumps more fuel to keep the A/F consistent. The only time a K&N might improve mileage is if your old filter was excessively dirty or for some other reason too restrictive. 

High flow intake/air filter does exactly the opposite of increasing gas mileage. It allows more air flow, meaning you burn more fuel, thus creating more horsepower. Your MAF sensor (or whatever your truck has) detects the higher air flow and dumps more fuel to keep the A/F consistent. The only time a K&N might improve mileage is if your old filter was excessively dirty or for some other reason too restrictive.

I'll retract that comment. When I had a 4 banger ford with cold air intake header and full exhaust and a sekret spark plug mod, I was getting 40mpg constantly on the highway. It was rated for 35. I'd get 30 in the city and it was rated for 28

I'll retract that comment. When I had a 4 banger ford with cold air intake header and full exhaust and a sekret spark plug mod, I was getting 40mpg constantly on the highway. It was rated for 35. I'd get 30 in the city and it was rated for 28

Correlation does not equal causation.

What year? My guess is your truck had speed density, not MAF. You were probably running lean. 

2006. I

Correlation does not equal causation.

What year? My guess is your truck had speed density, not MAF. You were probably running lean. 

2006 Focus witha MAF sensor. I was running 1 step colder copper core spark plugs with a grove cut into electrode gapped ultra wide, .055" when factory spec called for .040" non adjustable iridium plug. Don't think I was running lean, I bought it new and had all mods done by 1,500 miles on engine, ran engine to 180,000 miles before sold it last year and never had an ounce of trouble. Infact the only thing that ever broke on the car in the entire 8 years I owned it was the shift tower on the back of the transmission, which wasn't bad because the clutch had not been replaced at this point and was down to the last couple thousand miles of usable life, so all it cost me extra to do was the cost of the part.

Edited by zx3vfr

I have my SCT X3 for sale if any of you are interested. It's unlocked an can be paired with 4 more vehicles. (5 vehicle limit on device) New they are $300-350. I'm asking $200, only used to program my previous truck an put away.

Edited by SJC1000rr

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to msg Brian but it won't accept any new msgs.

Guess I'll try calling this morning.  Thanks

Sorry. I meant to answer you and forgot. He's just swamped right now so answers from him can be slow.

Average price on the Ford is 550 for the HP Tuner and the Dyno tune. 450 if you already have a flash tuner.

Same for most other makes as well.

Less if you just want a canned tune he's already made or just want road tuned where he reads and tunes as you drive. Dyno tune is the best method to get the best possible gains.

Bikes.

Sport bikes with Power Commander 250

Harley's with Screaming Eagle or Power Vision 400.

I've been helping on the bike tunes since he's slammed with cars.

Thanks Todd.  Deal is the Harley I ride is not computerized at all.  I suppose it could be dialed in a bit, but it runs great now.  

I did finally get hold of Brian, but my pocketbook at present does not allow for me to be spending that kind of money due to the impending move which is going to cost me a few thousand.  That and my wife is now living where we want to end up, working a new job, and I am house sitting until it sells, so we're supporting two households now, so to speak.  I appreciate it though.

http://www.dynotunemotorsports.com/

SCT Xcalibrator 3

Custom Tuning

Dyno Time

New Customer That Requires A Chip Or Hand Held Programmer - $660

Customer with Competitor's Chip or Hand Held Programmer - $450

Retune - $350

You're alive?  Good.  Was wondering and even the wife asked about you the other day. 

• Upvote 1