Riding Jacket?

Wojo72

When I went down on gravel in a turn last summer my jeans and gloves were gone in a millisecond with my skin.  I was thrown from the bike and I hit a tree with my lower back at about 50 MPH.  I was wearing a textile jacket with armor.  It saved my back and elbows.  Impact permanently crushed the foam panel in the back of my jacket.  I kept it to show people.  It did the job it was created to do. Because of God and my gear I get to ride again.  Yes it can get a little warm when stopped or in traffic, but comfortable when riding and I don't feel the armor.  I just purchased a Joe Rocket textile jacket with armor and multiple openings for ventilation.  Wasn't too pricey at the pony, I think it was $129.  Bough good racing gloves as well.  Also going to be using my textile riding pants this year.  They have armor too and I wish I had them on when I went down.  Not going to make that mistake again!  Hope this helps.  See you all at the Epic Ride!

I'm torn. I know I should wear proper pants. I always wear astar leather jacket, helmet, armored gloves and sidi boots. I just haven't done the pants. And you guys are right it is silly to leave that one area "exposed". I'm considering jeans that have Kevlar and armor. But I don't see how textile pants with armor is better. They both are loose so it will twist the armor or of place. I'll wear leathers on the track but they are just too uncomfortable for daily riding. I haven't found any that are comfortable for my build. I have very thick thighs and calves but a very short inseam. I dunno. I guess it's my acceptance of the risk vs enjoyment.

After a little bit of thought I decided to rely on the collective wisdom of the group.  I went back to IP and exchanged Sons of Anarchy wannabe jacket for a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 jacket with armor.   I went with the grey version with reflective white stripes for a little bit of visibility. 

• Upvote 2

Riding boots, armored jacket and tourmaster over pant with armor. Has some ventilation not the best but easy to slip over work boots and shorts for the ride to work and enough protection I'm confident I won't Ned skin grafts if I go down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to mention that good textile pants are more comfortable on a extended ride.

Can't be stressed enough. Good gear (meaning, not cheap) is more comfortable than street clothes, isn't hot or burdensome, and actually does something when shit goes sideways.

I don't want to look like a power ranger either, but I've sat through a road-rash scrubbing in the ER, and also paid the bill for that. Looks rank very fucking low nowadays.

• Upvote 2