Riding Jacket?

Wojo72

I just picked up a Unik vented leather jacket from Iron Pony.  After I got home I was thinking that maybe I should have gotten something with the armor built in.  What is the prevailing wisdom?   Would I be better off with an armored under shirt so that I have some flexibility in what I wear?  I could also get one of the armored hoodies but that would be more $$$ than just stepping up a few bucks on the jacket.  I was trying to stay somewhere in the middle.  I don't ride a Harley and I'm too damn old to be a power ranger.  :)

Edited by Wojo72

Having been in many motorcycle accidents I am a proponent of armor. Leather will keep your skin intact. Armor will help protect from deep bruising and broken bones. I'd much rather have a quarter inch of foam between my elbow and the concrete than just a few mm of leather.

• Upvote 1

Definitely get armor in the jacket. As the saying goes: buy the best gear that you can afford. Waterproof and breathable, if you can afford it. Good gear will be more comfortable, and you will be more likely to wear it. If you do get in a wreck, good gear will save you significantly more than its initial cost in potential hospital bills.

Problem with under shirt armor is it will get stinky and hot and you wont wear it. There are great breathable armored jackets that won't kill your wallet. Take this one back, get on of those.

Thanks Isaac's Papa.  The jacket that I brought home today was a 3XL so I'm out of luck.  Looks like I am going back to IP tomorrow. 

As far as pants go have been looking at Kevlar jeans but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Take it back and upgrade to an armored jacket, with a back protector. It's always best to patronize local business, but don't let that dissuade you from looking online for good deals. What size do you wear? I've lost too much weight to keep my current jacket. I'll be replacing it real soon. It's an XL AlterEgo, grey and black.

I'd run this by gsxkat1100.

Thanks Isaac's Papa.  The jacket that I brought home today was a 3XL so I'm out of luck.  Looks like I am going back to IP tomorrow. 

As far as pants go have been looking at Kevlar jeans but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Jeans suck in any form, just my opinion. If you are gonna have a jacket with armor, jeans of any kind are counter productive.

Thanks Isaac's Papa. The jacket that I brought home today was a 3XL so I'm out of luck. Looks like I am going back to IP tomorrow.

I've got a couple jackets one leather texport(red/black) and a tecknic chicane textile (yellow) I'd let go for a song if your interested, should be your size think ones a 56 maybe the other a 54 or 3xl, can't remember off the top of my head.
  • Upvote 1

Jeans suck in any form, just my opinion. If you are gonna have a jacket with armor, jeans of any kind are counter productive.

I gotta go with Pokey on this one. I've seriously thought about Kevlar jeans over a dozen times like when those "Sliders" go on sale at Comp Acc, but I think you're better off getting truly armored overpants for not a whole lot more dough.

First, Kevlar jeans aren't Kevlar everywhere, just on likely abrasion locations, so if you slide on un-armored parts, you're back to denim protection. They can also be stripped or rotated on your body. And there's no impact protection - the Kevlar only protects from sliding abrasion (and maybe pellet rounds - lol). They can fit weird and I've heard they're a bit toasty in the summer after you've gotten off to eat or hike or shop or walk around, so their utility as an all-day pant is reduced. They don't offer any cool-weather or rain protection.

Based on Pokey's and others' suggestions, I picked up a Firstgear HT overpant and am really happy with them so far. Super easy to get on and off with boots, are armored and abrasion-resistant, are waterproof, are ventable and cost less than you'd think from Mike of RidersDiscount. They fold up nice into a top box too, so you can take them off and walk around in your normal work or casual clothes between rides.

I gotta go with Pokey on this one. I've seriously thought about Kevlar jeans over a dozen times like when those "Sliders" go on sale at Comp Acc, but I think you're better off getting truly armored overpants for not a whole lot more dough.

First, Kevlar jeans aren't Kevlar everywhere, just on likely abrasion locations, so if you slide on un-armored parts, you're back to denim protection. They can also be stripped or rotated on your body. And there's no impact protection - the Kevlar only protects from sliding abrasion (and maybe pellet rounds - lol). They can fit weird and I've heard they're a bit toasty in the summer after you've gotten off to eat or hike or shop or walk around, so their utility as an all-day pant is reduced. They don't offer any cool-weather or rain protection.

Based on Pokey's and others' suggestions, I picked up a Firstgear HT overpant and am really happy with them so far. Super easy to get on and off with boots, are armored and abrasion-resistant, are waterproof, are ventable and cost less than you'd think from Mike of RidersDiscount. They fold up nice into a top box too, so you can take them off and walk around in your normal work or casual clothes between rides.

Sliders have pockets for knee armor. The only places lacking kevlar are the front down to mud thigh and the backs of the lower legs. I've crashed mine 3 times and they've saved my skin and knees. For the $90 they're a very good option.

Sliders have pockets for knee armor. The only places lacking kevlar are the front down to mud thigh and the backs of the lower legs. I've crashed mine 3 times and they've saved my skin and knees. For the $90 they're a very good option.

Fair 'nuf - I just wonder who puts the armor in.  Better than nothing I suppose.  Sure would be nice to have the abrasion resistance of kevlar under leather, the impact protection of D3O and the flexibility of denim, all for $100.  Alas, everything is a tradeoff.

I wear the sliders with armored mx undies. It's comfortable but in hindsight should have got real riding pants and been done with it.

Armoured jacket is a plus.

I have a set of the Alpinestars Ablaze Riding Jeans.  More expensive than the sliders, but come with Knee/Hip armor.  They're comfortable and have their uses, but if I were only buying 1 pair of riding pants again I'd definately go with standard overpants instead of the jeans.

But I want to dress like the cool kids!!!!    I didn't make it to IP today because my son was home sick.  Maybe tomorrow.

Wojo72 I hope you know we're just trying to keep ya healthy. And our roads flesh-free. [emoji13]