CRKT M16-10KZ - Woot 15.00

madcat6183

Yeah, this might be the best knife deal in a while.  I have a larger EDC SD CRKT with the same mechanism and that thing flips open fast and is locked very securely in place.  Plus its a tanto partially serrated like this and I love it.  The grip is a tad too rough for dress slacks, but when I can't carry a firearm it's my go to for sure, it's pretty beefy.

I'm excited actually. 3" blade (still within the discretionary legal length), partial serrations, quality flip and locking mechanisms and a manufacturer I don't own yet. I love my SOG Flash 1 but this will likely become my EDC alternate.

Edited by smccrory
  • Upvote 1

Over lunch I read up on the steel used in the knife.  CRKT's web site lists the M16-10KZ as using 8CR15MoV having a 58-59 HRC.  Molecularly, it's more or less the Chinese equivalent of Aichi AUS8-U, which might be a little better than 440B because of additional Vanadium added.  Hardness-wise, it's more like 420HC.

It's no VG-10, 154CM, BG-42 or S30V, but hey, this is a $45 knife discounted to $20 with shipping, so I'm still stoked.

Yeah but it carries nice I must admit.

It really does, been clipped in my pocket all day and I usually carry a leek. The deep cover clip makes a difference for sure.

Ordering one of these tomorrow I think....

http://sport.woot.com/offers/crkt-outburst-k-i-s-s-assist-serrated-1?ref=ref%3Dcnt_wp_0_1

So goddamm cool...

• Upvote 1

But it's SO FUCKING COOL!

It's also a $50-70 knife for what? $19?

It is definitely unique which is reason enough for getting one at that price.  That said, the AUS-4 steel and high-ride clip makes me hesitate.  That price is nice, but I got my SOG Flash 1 for only $15-20 more and it's half the weight, has a reversible deep-pocket clip, uses better steel (AUS-8) and might be a little easier to grip.

ordered one to replace my leek as my edc.

Boooo! Hisssssss! :D

It'll be a long time before I find something to replace my leek. I just got my second one after many years of use with the first one.

Edited by r1crusher

Made the mistake of leaving my bigger CRKT open last night after opening some new mag packages on the bed, went to pick up the trash and sliced the pinky pretty good.  Thing is beyond razor sharp that's for sure.  Hopeing this CRKT is as sharp and durable because that first one has been abused nicely and never sharpened. 

Made the mistake of leaving my bigger CRKT open last night after opening some new mag packages on the bed, went to pick up the trash and sliced the pinky pretty good.  Thing is beyond razor sharp that's for sure.  Hopeing this CRKT is as sharp and durable because that first one has been abused nicely and never sharpened. 

Damn!  Sorry to hear dude, and make sure to clean that wound good.

I avoided knifes (except in the kitchen) for most of my life due to several nasty and potentially life-threatening cuts when I was younger.  Funny thing is that I never did more than nick myself with a butterfly, but broken glass, exposed sheet metal and a spinning dremel cutting disc made me real worrisome about blades thenafter.

Got mine today! Nice weight and balance. Feel solid and I love the matte handle finish. Really nice long clip too - will be great for outside-the-pocket carry when necessary by law. My only complaint is that the liner lock is too stiff, so I'll try to break it in some.

You must be much easier on your knives then i am. I need something a little more robust then the leek.

Wtf are you doing with your knives? the leek is a bit slim and the point is a weak spot if you beat on it, but I like to let the blade do the work... kinda like the saying 'you don't need to hit it harder, you need a bigger hHammer'.

My edc gets used for all kinds of stuff. I need to look into getting a leatherman of some type instead of using my knife for shit its not meant for. I bent the spine of my leek using it like a screw driver on the plate on my truck when i needed to take it off. Lol i abuse it to much for the slim blade it has. But its so thin it fit right in the slot of the rusty screw.