How far / long would you ride in a day - Road trip.

Phreon

I rode to pigeon forge, TN fom scioto county last year, was right at 330 miles each way. there is only one bit of advice, if you are going for the journey, ride with like minded people, we went down as a group of 5, 3 of the 5 were there to get to the bar at the other end, we stopped for fuel 3 times less than 15 mins a piece enough to fuel and drink a water and hit it. if I had known we were iron butting I would have just trailered down.

we did do the dragon on the 2nd day, it was nice, probably would have enjoyed it more if I had trailered down, or just stopped midway for lunch, was hard to shake off the exhaustion.. it was nice and I would do it again, just no rush. if/when I do it again I won't be basecamping at Pigeon forge.

The ride back I knew my way and set the expectation I was stopping longer and not killing myself...and if they needed to get home I would not be offended if they left me behind.

This was my first goup ride, and was my last with that group, I learned a valuable lesson about knowing who you are riding with on longer journeys.

I think with reasonable break intervals 2 hours then stop for a bit(a bit for me would be 20 mins the first time 30 mins the second and at least 30 for the 3rd), 450 miles a day would be a walk in the park.  I would pick your end of day place for the longer days to stay out of tourist zones or heavily populated areas, it will probably be cheaper and you wont be in intense traffic exhausted.

Slabbin to deals gap is a one stop trip, and that is a fuel piss and go stop. If you want stops you need to plan a trip off the freeway and enjoy it more.

+1. I ride through there at least once a year. I leave CBUS in the morning, and I am riding past Deals Gap a little after lunch (depending upon who is with me).

• Upvote 1

I have to buy fuel around 150 miles and I'm either old or just not up for it. but all I said is know who your riding with, your style is great for you, we went down the state routes the only interstate time was about 30 mins on 40.  did you just hop over towards cinci and run down 75 to 40? it was still fairly slab, but alot more view and state route slabs are just less boring. I think my issue was we took the "scenic route" and proceded to slab it out and it wasn't what we had planned out/discussed

Edited by Tinker

I usually take the long way down to Tenn/NC through southern Ohio, West Virginia and Virginia. Pickup the Blueridge Pkwy and ride it all the way to end at Cherokee NC. Spend a few days riding the incredible roads and relaxing, then bust ass all the way home to Central Ohio on the slab. The bike and how it is set up makes all the difference, and I usually break about every 200 miles or so when I need gas. Great saddle and good wind management can really keep you fresh. Stay hydrated, and pop a few ibuprofen now and then.

Edited by Pokey

I've never really taken long "just for fun" rides other than sticking to highways and getting to a destination as quick as possible. Plus coming from Southern GA I had barely any twisty roads. So for the 4 years I've ridden unfortunately you can consider me a complete noob when it comes to twisties. I can take a couple corners here and there, but I am just not experienced in the "kiss your butt" corners of Southern Ohio.

Aside from that, I know I can ride 400-450 miles a day in the nastiest rain you can throw at me. If it's cold though, I don't have much there to fight it. I have a few good layers, but that's only going to last an hour or so. That's where I need the plug-in heated gear....of which I have none. I am also riding a full naked bike with no protection, that means comfy summers but nasty cool riding,

I've never really taken long "just for fun" rides other than sticking to highways and getting to a destination as quick as possible. Plus coming from Southern GA I had barely any twisty roads. So for the 4 years I've ridden unfortunately you can consider me a complete noob when it comes to twisties. I can take a couple corners here and there, but I am just not experienced in the "kiss your butt" corners of Southern Ohio.

Aside from that, I know I can ride 400-450 miles a day in the nastiest rain you can throw at me. If it's cold though, I don't have much there to fight it. I have a few good layers, but that's only going to last an hour or so. That's where I need the plug-in heated gear....of which I have none. I am also riding a full naked bike with no protection, that means comfy summers but nasty cool riding,

You own bikes made for the twisty stuff, you need to hit some of the group rides this year to get your confidence up. You are missing out on the very best riding in this state, and there is some good riding to be had.

• Upvote 1

You own bikes made for the twisty stuff, you need to hit some of the group rides this year to get your confidence up. You are missing out on the very best riding in this state, and there is some good riding to be had.

I totally hear ya man...now that I have a regular job I can finally schedule things. Although, I may be moving to Columbus in the coming couple of months...which gets me closer to HH!! My Triumph loves the twisties, but I think I need to get the brakes and suspension looked at...13 years and I think stuff is wearing out.

Last long ride of the season was around 500 miles on the Daytona... 500 miles is probably my concentration limit depending the pace. Last Epic ride I started Med-Fast but went back down to Med to save some of that mental capacity for the ride back. It was a good call.

Longest ride i have done in a day was cleveland to suches ga. Half slab half backroads was just over 800 miles on a 2000 speedtriple with no wind protection. 500 miles of steady rain in early may. Gear can be a saving grace on trips like that. Had i not had proper gear for the weather the ride would not be possible. We were on the road for 14 hours to cover those miles. I would say take the hawk better suited for long rides.

• 1 month later...

As it turns out, the 'hawk blew a fork seal on a fun ride out to Aberdeen. Just no time to fix it in time, assuming the weather is miraculously cooperative enough for me to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the aforementioned trip is supposed to be tomorrow. I'm right on the edge - I have gear to handle cold and rain, but battling both at the same time sounds miserable. I am heading south around Knoxville, however. And have the trip so I can stop at a hotel for the night instead of having to push through.

Rode 100 miles this past Sunday on a "shakedown" ride and both the bike and my butt were fine. The 'hawk is still out of commission, but at the speeds I intend to travel (state routes), the lil 500 will do just fine. It's more than capable of slabbing it if I need to, as well.

Do I suck it up and "adventure" through the elements?  That's the question. My cold wx suit is wind / water proof...  Higher end Frog Toggs for warmer wx rain.

Edited by Phreon

The coldest it's forecast to be is in the high 20s, but that is the dead of night here in SW Ohio. I'm probably going to delay leaving tomorrow until it warms up a bit and just plan on it being a 2 day trip down there from the get go. It's significantly warmer down there.  And since my tax return hit my account, I'm going to stop at the moto shop on the way home today and try to grab a pair of heated gloves (plus cables and controller). I have heavy, waterproof winter gloves, but active heating would be so much nicer.

I'm taking a non-highway route, but I won't actually be that far from I75 and the associated civilization.

Edited by Phreon

I'd love to have a heated vest too, but the puny alternators on both of my bikes aren't up to the task of running much more than gloves and a phone / gps.  The winter suit does a fine job, it's just bulky.

Heated gear is nice. If you think that you may ride in some rain, wax your wind & face shields. It will help shed the rain drops. In the cold, stop more often. Hypothermia can set in quicker than you think.(Unless you pick up heated gear.)

Edited by Connie14

Keep your core warm and plug the leaks. Wear a balaclava it keeps cold air from sneaking under helmet and reaching your ears and neck. New years day ride it was 26° when I rolled out. Two long sleeve t shirts tucked in and a fleece pull over with a high neck under lined goretex jacket any never felt cold all day.

As boring as it sounds, I've decided to convert visiting my buddies down south to a shorter car trip. Too many variables / factors stacking up.  I've never gone that far solo, the roads are probably going to be sketchy so soon after a harsh winter (tube tires),  I don't have much rain riding experience and cold/cool weather compounds it all at my level of experience. If I'm going to burn vacation time, I'd like it to be enjoyable and safe. 

There will be time for trips when the weather is a bit better.

Edited by Phreon

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up, I took my shitty Pontiac Vibe on the route I would have on 2 wheels. 25 most of the way down to the Tellico Plains of TN and mostly 27 on the way back, stopping to see Cumberland falls on the way back.  "Discovered" some roads that are massively entertaining. Check out TN 116. I drove part of it - holy hell!!!  KY 700 between 27 and 90 going to the falls is GREAT. And KY 227 is amazing for being near SW OH.  I was flogging the little hatchback for all it was worth, hard trail braking into bends, flooring it out of them and wasn't even coming close to breaking the speed limit on that thing.    I also discovered a "road" that linked 116 to a northern route was essentially a logging road barely carved out of the side of Brushy Mountain. It was as close to pants staining as I've come. No place to turn around. But amazing none the less.  I HAVE to do this trip on 2 wheels eventually.

Trip down:http://goo.gl/maps/feh6l

Trip back, not including TN116 and the Brushy Mountain detour: http://goo.gl/maps/HZHnD

• Upvote 1