How far / long would you ride in a day - Road trip.

Phreon

I've been thinking about taking a trip down to Lenoir City, TN (S of Knoxville) to visit some friends this march. I used furkot.com (GREAT road trip planning site) to come up with a nice twisty, non-interstate ride, but It's about 350 miles long and the site is telling me it'll take 10 hours *per the speed limit*. 

I've done 120 mile per day trips that were dirt easy and a 200 mile loop from Cincy, around KY10 / 22 and back - I was pretty good ti'll the end, but it wasn't nearly as warm as I had anticipated and the chill got to me.

This isn't a pure sight seeing trip but I also don't want to slab it.  Also, not looking for any iron butt, but wouldn't mind pushing myself just a bit. I could split it up, but don't want to make the days too short. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

All depends on the bike. On my TL 350 miles was all I ever did in a day and that was a long day. Now on my C14 I've done 1100 miles and survived, but a 600 mile day is a walk in the park on that bike and I've done it several times.

That's a really good question and I think it depends on a bunch of stuff, including your seat, peg options, personal health and so on.  Here are my 2 cents, having been thrown out of the nest several times last year.

Early last spring I went from 3-4 hour rides/day with breaks, to an 8-hour group ride across some slab but mostly twisty biways into WV (thank you again Pokey!).  I was in full gear on a stock V-Strom 650 seat, and the group was kind enough to take short breaks every 90 minutes.  I was in marginal shape and suffered (still do) from a bad neck and lower back, so the day was rough at times, but I hung in there and made it work.  I was a wet noodle when we arrived and made full use of stretching, ibuprofin and whiskey to ease the pain :-P.  That night, I got some excellent advice.  Stand on the pegs from time to time if your bike allows it.  Be in decent shape and stretch before, during and after a ride.  Ibuprofin helps a little.  Flapping your arms helps to avoid "cricks in the neck and shoulders".  Keep shifting positions during the ride to avoid over-stressing any one group of muscles or joints.  Stay hydrated and fueled with food to avoid cramps.

The next 8-hour day went much easier because I took their advice, plus I had worked out "riding muscles" the day before, and the following 8-hour ride back was even more doable for the same reasons, and a couple long rides later in the season were similar, though I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade the stock seat before spring, probably with a Corbin.

Anyway, 10 hours is pretty long for me, even in the car.  I did a 12-hour car trip in icy snow from Columbus to DC two years ago and it sucked a lot, but I got it done.  I imagine it would be similar to a 10-hour day on interesting roads on a motorcycle, and as such, I'd personally probably break the trip up just to keep the enjoyment level up and the risk level down.

• Upvote 2

Link to the map.  I'm sick of Google maps and how it will not do what I want...

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/to-lenoir-city-tn_25116#

I have the Vulcan 500 in my avatar and the ol' Nighthawk 750.  I was thinking about taking the '500 since I know it better, trust it more and it gets better mileage. *BUT*, thought pretty comfortable, I can't shift around on it like the '750's bread-loaf seat.

Edited by Phreon

As far as weather, March will be chilly, especially in the mountains. If you don't have proper touring gear you will need to layer up and pay special attention to your hands and feet. And layers mean nothing if you get wet, will need to plan accordingly.

You will get beat to death and really be pushing that 500 on the slab at 70 plus MPH, you might be better off sticking to state highways. You can cover allot of miles on the slab, and depending on where you want to go you may not be able to avoid it. I try to do mostly state roads with a mix of slab, I am usually always trying to take the long scenic routes to wherever I am going. I have done multiple 500 to 600 mile days no problem, but I typically break every 2 hours or every 200 miles or so for a fill up. 

• Upvote 1

Link to the map. I'm sick of Google maps and how it will not do what I want...

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/to-lenoir-city-tn_25116#

I have the Vulcan 500 in my avatar and the ol' Nighthawk 750. I was thinking about taking the '500 since I know it better, trust it more and it gets better mileage. *BUT*, thought pretty comfortable, I can't shift around on it like the '750's bread-loaf seat.

Yup that's a no brainer on those bikes, stay off the freeway for the long haul. I'd take 500 miles of 2 lane over 300 miles of freeway on either of those any day.

I made a trip down that way earlier this year. First day was 500 miles, we stopped every couple hours to stretch and get fuel. Biggest thing for me was being prepared for the weather. If your not comfortable when you leave, its probably gonna get worse. There are some great roads down that way, which makes the trip totally worth it.

I think I confused a few folks. The mileage is 350, the Vulcan is 500 (cc) and the Nighthawk is 750 (cc).  Thought making revolutions at that speed, the ol' 500 will happily cruise at 70 all day long with plenty  of reserve  power to pass.  But since I have no intention of slabbing it, instead sticking to State and County roads, the 500 will do just fine.  I already took the '500 down to RRG with a 3 days of full camping gear onboard (see avatar) with no problem. I have a waterproof, full winter suit, but it's so damned bulky.  Have a rain suit, undergarments, fuzzy neck warmer,  boot covers, armored jacket. The winter gloves are waterproof as well, but I know from experience they're only good for about an hour of cold riding. I'm contemplating electric gloves - both bikes have enough spare watts to run 'em.  

If ya don't click the link, the itinerary is roughly to take 27 down through Paris, KY, down through RRG, down to Jellico where I really depart the state roads for routes that follow the rivers and creeks, working my way down towards, Oak Ridge, TN and then my destination in the Tellico plains.  I'm thinking I could stop either at Irvine, KY (north of RRG) or London, KY (S of RRG, better hotels). 

Thanks

If you are going in March, it may be wise to invest in some heated gloves (maybe even heated socks). Wearing the bulky winter suit is probably your best option. Getting cold on a long distance MC trip can not only be miserable, it can be very dangerous. Prolonged coldness while riding can make errors in judgment more common.

A good windshield is also really beneficial on long trips. Also think about hydration. Although that won't be quite as critical in March, make sure to drink some water at every stop.

There is definitely some good riding down there. Good luck with the trip.

My longest "daytrip" was over 18 hours and for others on the same ride it was closer to 24. (They started earlier and lived a few hours west of my meet point)

It was a fun ride in spite of a few hiccups along the way. I think that was a bit too long for some in the group, and may have contributed to some errors in judgement. Long answer short: depends who you are, what you're riding and in what conditions.

here are my 2 cents.

1. gear is king.. your leaving in march, and doing a day trip.. if you know the bike has the reserve, heated gear can save on bulky suits.  This is important because your favorite gear may be great for all day adventures on your bike and configuration.. but slapping on 3 layers and a snow suit may actually very constricting and uncomfortable in the saddle. Base layer, heated gear, and a windproof layer keeps it light yet still effective.

2. make sure to have a Plan B route with waypoints that have more main arterial roads or slab to your destination or for an bailout point.. You can wish to ride the epic ride, but there comes a point where if the conditions, weather, fatigue, etc. cause too much delay or create too high of risk and you just need to get to point B. You just never know when a bridge is washed out, a county road is closed detouring you an hour out of your way.... And its cold.... And it's raining.. and damn, are those snowflakes in the distance?

always have a plan B.. Be it an alternate route, an bailout point, or a predetermined lodging point.  In the last 7 riding seasons, I've exercised Plan B more than I care to admit.  But it has always been better than rolling in to my destination, miserable, stressed, and over fatigued way after hours.

• Upvote 1

350 miles of backroads is an easily doable length for a day ride, poor weather notwithstanding.  That's a pretty accurate time for that distance, too, given that you will likely encounter some traffic that will keep you at or close to the speed limit.  Plan to take a butt break and/or a fuel stop every 2-3 hours or so and take water or a sports drink along to stay hydrated (yes, even in the winter).  If the temps are much below mid-40s, you'll have to make sure you're wearing the right gear, whether that's Gore-Tex/heated/layered.  Hands and feet are the toughest to keep warm, especially if it's wet.  An easy trick for a one-time ride--where you really don't want to invest a metric shit-ton of cash in cold weather endurance clothing--is to hit Bass Pro or other hunting supply store and pick up the "wearable" heat packs for your boots, hands and even your torso.  The large adhesive wraps made by Therma-Care (available in the pharmacy) can add heat to your core for 8-10 hours under your riding gear.  I think that either of your bikes would be fine for this type of ride; take the one you're most comfortable on and go for it.

I was thinking about trying a pair of therma-care pads stuck to my inner thighs, right over the femoral arteries. Last ride I did was a few weeks ago when it was mid 40s, but the sun wasn't out. Was a "clear my mind" sort of ride - just pointed west and went. I should have turned for home when I thought, "Hmm, a little chilly", but I made it out to Sunman Indiana before turning around. The ride home devolved into pure, shivering brutality. I was hugging my legs against the 'hawk's engine and stopped in Cleves for a burger, hot chocolate and my hands under the dryer for 5 minutes. No, I wasn't wearing the suit, because apparently, I'm stupid.

FWIW, I've used that suit for backyard astronomy, spending a couple hours out in 15F, 15 MPH wind with no base layer besides jeans and a T-Shirt, actually starting to sweat a little.  It's a First Gear suit, worth every penny- it's basically a water-proof sleeping bag with arms and legs.

Both the Vulcan and Nighthawk can run a phone and gloves, but I wouldn't push it much more. Especially not the Nighthawk - the only reason I'd consider heated gloves it is because I've converted the lights to LED, freeing up a few spare watts. It doesn't even start charging until about 3000 RPM. Great bike, crappy alternator. The Vulcan is a little better, but not by much.

I'm going to navigate using the phone running Osmand+, a free GPS program with extensive offline maps. And a Gazeteer + compass as a backup. The only good thing about wearing hearing aids is I can pair them to the phone via bluetooth and have the driving instructions piped to my ears-pretty handy.

I'm still really debating 1 vs 2 days. If I split it up, I can change the route and wander even more. But that burns $$$ and precious vacation days. I can always have plenty of hotels mapped if need be and my route isn't actually ever significantly far from 75S.  Honestly, the best of both worlds would be to get a cabin in and stay over inside RRG, but again, time and money. I'd rather arrive in the evening since the folks I'll be meeting will be gone during the day - whitewater boating buddies down there specifically to hit the water. I've been battling migraines and am not in shape to hit technical water - a ride is a good excuse to meet up with 'em and shoot the shit. 

There's one more concern that is real. My route takes me pretty far off the beaten path into KY and TN. My bike has an Ohio plate and I'm a "Damned Yankee". I'm purposefully aiming for the creeks and hollers. No, I'm not expecting "Deliverence", but we've run across some "interesting" folks over the years deep in the Cumberland plateau while driving to remote river put-ins. My southern friends have gone as far as saying, "Be quiet and let me talk", to me when talking to locals. Any advice beyond being respectful during any chance encounters?

Edited by Phreon

….the only reason I'd consider heated gloves it is because I've converted the lights to LED, freeing up a few spare watts.

I'm still really debating 1 vs 2 days.

There's one more concern that is real. My route takes me pretty far off the beaten path into KY and TN. My bike has an Ohio plate and I'm a "Damned Yankee". I'm purposefully aiming for the creeks and hollers. No, I'm not expecting "Deliverence", but we've run across some "interesting" folks over the years deep in the Cumberland plateau while driving to remote river put-ins. My southern friends have gone as far as saying, "Be quiet and let me talk", to me when talking to locals. Any advice beyond being respectful during any chance encounters?

If you decide to roll and the weather is on the cold side, I have a pair of e-gloves you can borrow.  They use a proprietary Widder connector but all you have to do is wire the leads directly to the battery for the trip.  Not water proof and not the best for rash protection, but warm enough.  As I said earlier, you can buy a couple packs of hand warmers and stick them in the backs of your winter gloves and it keeps your hands pretty toasty.

I looked at your route.  Easily doable in a day.  Leave as early as you can in the morning after dawn, i.e., roll by 8:30-9ish, and you'll easily get to your destination before dark.

#3 is a non-issue.  I've ridden down in southern KY and rural routes in TN and had no problems.  They'll respect you as long as you respect them.  Now, if you were doing an enduro/off-road//trail mix down in southern KY and you happened come across a well-maintained field in the middle of nowhere, it's always a good idea to turn around and quietly head back the way you came in.  Riding down in DBNF several years ago, I ran into a couple of guys in suits standing next to a Lincoln Mark V parked in the middle of a rutted out, gravel path W-A-Y out in the boonies; when I asked where the trail went further on, they said "It dont go nowhere so you might as well just turn around"….  I did. :D On the road, no problem.

Edited by Bubba

I might just take you up on those gloves...   I want a pair of my own, but it depends on funding between now and then. Basic armor under the snow-suit would be so much easier than a jacket.  I'm still debating straight through.

Back in 01 thru 04 we did annual trips to the mountains to play for a few days and always did 400-500 mile first and last days on the Interstates to get there and return quickly.  Did mine on a GS500 running 75-80 mph indicated on the Interstates.  Just saying a 500cc bike is more than enough to travel the Interstates comfortably on.  I was 72 yo on my last trip from NE Ohio to the Smoky Mtns. back in 04.

Issac's Papa - Yup, just cammed a little differently. More "lower end" torque than the Ninja. It runs out of breath around 8k.  My Vulcan is reasonable on the highway; I've cruised from Cincy to Dayton at 75 mph just fine. Buzzy, but it pulls fine. But this trip is about the journey - no highway (well, maybe some on the return trip).

Edited by Phreon

I have only ridden local...but I went 2 years without a bike. I got my Gixxer in late August and put 2000 miles and a track day on it. I guess I've done 100-150 in a day. I stopped keeping track, I just love to ride!

Look forward to more miles and places this year!

I will usually be on the road for 8-10 hours if I have the whole day free. I don't really keep track of mileage. At about 120mi a tank I will usually top off the tank 5-6 times. I'll let you do the math. And it's not like I just put around on the freeway lol

• Upvote 1

You will get beat to death and really be pushing that 500 on the slab at 70 plus MPH, you might be better off sticking to state highways. You can cover allot of miles on the slab, and depending on where you want to go you may not be able to avoid it. I try to do mostly state roads with a mix of slab, I am usually always trying to take the long scenic routes to wherever I am going. I have done multiple 500 to 600 mile days no problem, but I typically break every 2 hours or every 200 miles or so for a fill up. 

a lot