2015 weight loss/fitness/New Years resolution we lie to ourselves about

zx3vfr

Yeah, if you do low carb for awhile (which keeps the water weight off) and have a cheat day, you'll gain 5-8 lbs overnight haha. It comes right back off though once you are back on the wagon. Back in 2005 I lost 80lbs on low carb. Unfortunately, soon after I went back to school and over the course of 2 years, gained it back and then some. I will be down 100lbs this time next year which should be my ideal weight. Ready, go!

Low carb doesn't keep water weight off.

It will keep glycogen stores lower. Which are built back up after a high carb meal.

It will keep glycogen stores lower. Which are built back up after a high carb meal.

You are partially right. The glycogen stores get low which is what makes the diet work so well as it has to look to fat stores to replenish the glycogen. Glycogen holds water (I think 4 grams H2O to every 1 gram glycogen). So yes, it does reduce water weight which you keep off as long as you continue to eat low carb as it goes hand in hand with glycogen.

Edited by ScubaCinci

You are partially right. The glycogen stores get low which is what makes the diet work so well as it has to look to fat stores to replenish the glycogen. Glycogen holds water (I think 4 grams H2O to every 1 gram glycogen). So yes, it does reduce water weight which you keep off as long as you continue to eat low carb as it goes hand in hand with glycogen.

Which isn't compeltely sustainable!(low carb for long periods of time), so it doesn't really reduce water weight.

Comparing the water which makes up glycogen and water itself Isn't the same. That would be like saying carbon and carbon monoxide are the same because they both have carbon.

Edited by rawlins87

Well when cutting out sodium laden soda and crisps by going low carb, its a side effect.

There was a time in my life where I lost 30 lbs by just cutting out soft drinks, not having more than one biscuit or piece of bread per meal, and cutting back my cheese intake. 

Now I have to watch my processed sugar intake and saturated fat. When I do, I see immediate results. 

Which isn't compeltely sustainable!(low carb for long periods of time), so it doesn't really reduce water weight.

Comparing the water which makes up glycogen and water itself Isn't the same. That would be like saying carbon and carbon monoxide are the same because they both have carbon.

I never said the water loss was forever, just as long as you remain in a low carb state.

I'm not comparing glycogen and water...not sure where you see a comparison. Glycogen stored in the body retains water - 4 grams for every one gram of glycogen. Look it up.

There was a time in my life where I lost 30 lbs by just cutting out soft drinks, not having more than one biscuit or piece of bread per meal, and cutting back my cheese intake.

Now I have to watch my processed sugar intake and saturated fat. When I do, I see immediate results.

I eat tons of saturated fat. I limit my carbs to about 150 grams a day which is tons of veggies. I ocassionaly eat rice or oats or corn but usually feel pretty lousy after I do. My normal day consists of

Breakfast - 4 strips of bacon 2 fried eggs. 1/2 an onion and a whole bell pepper fried in bacon grease or coconut oil.

Lunch - 1 cup of full fat yogurt, spinach and carrot salad with olive oil and vinegar and nuts or seeds of some sort.

Dinner - meat and broccoli, green beans or cabbage, and a sweet potato about once a week.

Snack - 2 squares of 85% or higher Dark chocolate.

If I'm eating out I always 86 any bread and ask for broccoli instead of startch.

My usual go to meal out is chipolte. Salad bowl no rice no beans no dressing, half chicken half steak. Pico red and green. Cheese, sour cream and guac. It's about 900 calories and only 18 grams of carbs. Plenty of fat and plenty of protein

I eat tons of saturated fat. I limit my carbs to about 150 grams a day which is tons of veggies. I ocassionaly eat rice or oats or corn but usually feel pretty lousy after I do. My normal day consists of

Breakfast - 4 strips of bacon 2 fried eggs. 1/2 an onion and a whole bell pepper fried in bacon grease or coconut oil.

Lunch - 1 cup of full fat yogurt, spinach and carrot salad with olive oil and vinegar and nuts or seeds of some sort.

Dinner - meat and broccoli, green beans or cabbage, and a sweet potato about once a week.

Snack - 2 squares of 85% or higher Dark chocolate.

If I'm eating out I always 86 any bread and ask for broccoli instead of startch.

My usual go to meal out is chipolte. Salad bowl no rice no beans no dressing, half chicken half steak. Pico red and green. Cheese, sour cream and guac. It's about 900 calories and only 18 grams of carbs. Plenty of fat and plenty of protein

How's your cholesterol?

Low carb diets are generally not bad for cholesterol levels as long as you are doing it right. I have always had high cholesterol as it runs in the family. Even in my 20's when I was super fit and had a really clean diet, my cholesterol was high. It's just like that for some people genetically.

Back in 2005-6 when I lost 80 lbs on a low carb diet I was at the doctor getting my bi-annual cholesterol check and another doctor from Chicago came in to talk to me. He was studying the effects of low carb diets on cholesterol and triglycerides. My triglycerides were so low that they were nearly unmeasurable even though I was eating plenty of eggs, bacon, meat, etc. He told me that his findings across the country showed similar results along with lower cholesterol levels. He explained to me that since carbs were not being taken in at normal levels, the body had to use fats to replenish glycogen and to maintain blood sugar levels. The easiest place for the body to get this is from blood lipids so that's why the triglycerides get so low. This also affects cholesterol but to a lesser degree.

don't get caught up with the numbers of what you weigh.  shape is more important than mass, and health is more important than shape.

I am 6' and barely 170 right now.  I am the least healthy I've been in a long time...   I don't eat very well.  It's not hard to look at what you're eating and determine whether or not it's healthy

my goals for the year are to cut down on weekday drinking, eliminate soda and fast food from my diet, and work out 2-3 days a week minimum.  I'd also like to start towing the crumb-grabber around the park in the bicycle trailer i picked up a few weeks ago.  Just need to find a 90's mountain bike with street tires.

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 2

don't get caught up with the numbers of what you weigh.  shape is more important than mass, and health is more important than shape.

I am 6' and barely 170 right now.  I am the least healthy I've been in a long time...

my goals for the year are to cut down on weekday drinking, eliminate soda and fast food from my diet, and work out 2-3 days a week minimum.  I'd also like to start towing the crumb-grabber around the park in the bicycle trailer i picked up a few weeks ago.  Just need to find a 90's mountain bike with street tires.

I lost about 8" off my waist And 4" off my hips

• Upvote 1

I will know later this week. Blood pressure was way down though. I use to be high 140s over 90

I was 125/80 yesterday.

Seems with the extreme amount of saturated fats you're taking in your cholesterol should be through the roof. Coconut oil is 92% saturated vs like 7% for olive oil. I know if I tried your diet my dr would shit a brick at my next checkup.

Seems with the extreme amount of saturated fats you're taking in your cholesterol should be through the roof. Coconut oil is 92% saturated vs like 7% for olive oil. I know if I tried your diet my dr would shit a brick at my next checkup.

I don't want to start an argument but alternative thinking is cholesterol goes up from oxidation, caused by smoking and stress. Oxidation most likely thought to come from excessive insulin levels from a standard diet of high carbs and burned food.

I would agree with you if I were not a non smoker and a diabetic. So no smoking and very little insulin. Plenty of cholesterol tho, and it went down when I cut down on pork, beef and other highly saturated foods. That is not to say there aren't other factors in cholesterol, your liver produces it and some people are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol. A guy I work with runs marathons, cross country skis and plays racket ball every morning. Doesn't smoke, very little stress in his life. Dr put him on a vegetarian diet because his cholesterol was so high, like his dads, his brothers etc...

So I did a fitness test in December and I need to lose some serious wright. I'm 5' 7" and 190lbs. It said I'm 24.2% body fat. I'm joining a gym this Saturday and plan to lose weight. I'm going to start running and and also start weightlifting. I'm excited.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Congrats all on the work! Agreed on the scale vs proportions thing. Have pretty much stopped weighing myself and go by belt tightness, etc. Down to 206 from 235. That all happened last year. I figure 206 and a 34 inch waist should be about right for a 6 ft. frame.

• Upvote 1