Not fair, the ringo ride got deleted

ringokid

So that's a 'no, I can't explain my position'? Ok gotcha.

Allow me to elaborate on mine.

Most animals in shelters are owner surrenders or once-domesticated dogs that were dumped because = lazy fucking people.

Most of those dogs are pits or pit mix (that I've seen and fostered). Because pit = popular breed.

My current foster is an over bred American bull mix that someone used as a brood bitch to make money selling puppies. She was starved and beaten as a result. I wonder how many of her puppies were bought and then dumped or dropped off at the dog warden when the people realized that a dog is not a fashion accessory and that they are a lot of work....probably a few considering how many pit mix type dogs under 2 years are in the shelters.

Are you seeing a pattern emerge? Yes part of the overpopulated pound issue is lazy shitty people but if they had gotten a rescue instead of buying a puppy and returned it to the pound it would be a zero sum equation. The fact that they dont, that people insist upon buying puppies not only prevents the adoption of shelter dogs, but it feeds the for-profit breeding of dogs like my current rescue. Now I understand not all are mistreated but a great many are, and the root cause is people buying puppies.

• Upvote 1

Hey Uncle Punk, It's not just CSC saying this either, so I'm astonished you've never heard this before and/or find the statement outlandish...

From the Humane Society, "A shelter pet is more than one in a million—she's one in 2.7 million. That's the number of adoptable dogs and cats who are still euthanized each year in the United States, simply because too many pets come into shelters and too few people adopt.  The number of euthanized animals could be reduced dramatically if more people adopted pets instead of buying them. When you adopt, you save your animal and open up shelter space for another animal who might need it."

From the SPCA, "Shelters are overcrowded. Adoption will not only save the life of the pet you are adopting but will also make room and free up precious resources for another animal that the shelter will take in. Adopting an animal from a shelter is the best way to help the shelter continue its work. Shelters are meant to only house animals temporarily, and in order to be able to help more animals in need, shelters must find loving adoptive homes for the animals they take in."

From Animal League, "Tragically, 4,000,000-5,000,000 animals are destroyed each year in the U.S.  That’s a shocking and little-known statistic.  As the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization, we continuously take animals out of harm’s way—whether it’s rescuing them from other shelters where they would be destroyed; pulling them out of national emergency areas, saving them from the perils of puppy mills and so many other places where they would be abused or euthanized.  We’re able to save almost 20,000 animals each year because caring people like you say NO to buying puppies and kittens from pet stores, and open their hearts and home to a remarkable shelter pet. What’s so bad about a Puppy Mill? When someone buys a puppy or kitten from a pet store, they’re unknowingly supporting Puppy Mills, which are large-scale breeding operations that put profit ahead of animal welfare. Female breeding dogs are forced to produce litter after litter until they can no longer breed—at which point they risk destruction.  Many puppy mills dogs have never been out of their cages, have never felt grass under their feet—never been hugged in a way that makes them know that they’re cared for. By saying NO to a pet store pet, you’re saying NO to animal cruelty."

So sure, we soften the message to those wishing to adopt so that we don't turn them off, but this forum here isn't where we're having that nuanced discussion, is it?  You raised CSC's statement out of context, from a separate thread as an example of idiocy and revealed your own itchy neathers in the process.  GO RIDE.

Idk... Depends on the breeder but I would suspect that there aren't many unpurchased animals.

So if those 5 people who bought puppies instead got them from the apl, those 5 unsold puppies wouldn't end up in the apl in their place?

If it's a zero sum game that litter has to go somewhere, maybe people who buy from breeders are saving puppies BEFORE they get to the shelter.

Edited by magley64

So if those 5 people who bought puppies instead got them from the apl, those 5 unsold puppies wouldn't end up in the apl in their place?

If it's a zero sum game that litter has to go somewhere, maybe people who buy from breeders are saving puppies BEFORE they get to the shelter.

Ok, so the breeder has a bunch of inventory that is not selling. Do you think he will:

a) Breed the same number of puppies, then find out where you live and punch you in the balls.

b) Breed a shitload more than usual, then find out where you live and punch you in the balls.

c) Breed fewer puppies, then find out where you live and punch you in the balls.

Pick one, and at this point I really don't care which.

• Upvote 1

I guess it's slightly off topic but there's nothing that I hate more than people that neglect/abuse animals. It's sad that so many are euthanized but I'd rather have that than the animals go to people who neglect/abuse them. If it were up to my wife, we'd have like 50 dogs :lol:

Edited by ScubaCinci

Ok, so the breeder has a bunch of inventory that is not selling. Do you think he will:

a) Breed the same number of puppies, then find out where you live and punch you in the balls.

b) Breed a shitload more than usual, then find out where you live and punch you in the balls.

c) Breed fewer puppies, then find out where you live and punch you in the balls.

Pick one, and at this point I really don't care which.

A, keep fresh inventory in case there is a rush.

Big surprise, magdor missed an obvious point. Most likely because he doesn't understand economics.

Duane. Try and stay with me here.

If people don't buy puppies, there's no incentive for puppy mills to breed them.

If there's no incentive, the puppy mills disappear.

Read that over and over until it penetrates your thick skull, then go get punched in the nuts.

• Upvote 1