trailer options

Steve Butters

I need a trailer to haul my bike to TN with you guys in June. I was looking at the $300 HF foldable trailer. Has anyone had experience towing one of these across country? What is top speed these are safe to pull? Oklahoma had 80mph speed limit areas I'd have to plan to avoid if they can't go that speed. Are there any other budget trailers out there people would recommend? I don't have much room, so my options are limited...I've got half of a 2 car garage to work with, and I still need room over there for my bike and lawn mower...also considering just buying a single rail motorcycle trailer used on craigslist, but having the extra utility of a 4x8 would be nice.

Edited by Steve Butters

HF foldable trailer is pretty flimsy, but if you loctite the shit outta the bolts then you should be okay.

A bigger concern for me would be the small-ish wheels. Bearings are gonna burn outta those things at 80 mph over a long trip. Maybe install some Bearing Buddy's and take a grease gun with you on a long trip - squirt some replacement grease in once or twice over the trip. See: http://www.bearingbuddy.com/how.html

Larger diameter wheels would be a much better option - maybe some 14" wheels on a used bike trailer. Less rpm, cooler bearings, better ride, etc.

But $300 is tough to beat. Might work for 1-2 trips.

Edited by Earache

what speed would the trailer be good to with the original wheels? im trying to do it on a budget because im trying to buy a house next year and dont want to spend more than necessary....if the HF trailer just isnt worth the money for this trip, maybe id be better off buying a single rail motorcycle trailer and using it for the trip and selling when i get home...something like this

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mpo/4791907523.html

You'd probably spend at least 400 on the HF one with wood, bigger wheels/tire combo, and bearing buddies. 

^this. A new HF trailer is basically just the foundation for a trailer project. If you can get a used one that somebody's already done all the work for you that might be a better route.

If your space is really limited, check out a Trailer In A Bag if you can find one. I use one for track days and random hauling where I can tow, drop a bike off, then disassemble the whole thing and throw it in the back of my car in 10 minutes. The whole setup fits under my garage workbench when I'm not using it. Packed up the bearings and I've had it on the highway at around 75 mph with the bearings only warm when I check them at rest stops. It's definitely no utility trailer but it's a hell of a lot more convenient than a standalone single-rail that has to get parked somewhere. They stopped making them a year or two ago though so they're getting tough to find, and some people charge stupid amounts for them because of it.

I borrowed Stumps HF trailer and hauler my C14 out to Colorado and back with no problem other than I lost his licenseplate. But I did check and tighten all bolts and fasteners and flushed all the Chinese grease out of the bearings and packed them with quality grease before the trip. His was the foldable model with 12" wheels. And I did 75 mph average all the way out.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I worry about my bearings, but it has never actually been an issue.

I try to keep it under or at 70 mph (indicated), but that is more for economy than anything else. Better bearings are cheap peace of mind. I should probably invest in a set, but like I said, staying under 70 mph keeps my gas mileage closer to 20 rather than closer to 15...

What's the tow vehicle? A hitch-mount holder eliminates wheel bearing issues.

My longest trip with the HF 12" wheel trailer has been to Indianapolis. Hubs didn't even feel warm when I checked them at the 200 mile mark, or when we arrived.

Edited by redkow97

It'll be a 2wk trip... I'll have to consider some options... I like the idea of HF one because I'd be able to use it for camping and stuff too... Tow vehicle is a '14 Ford Escape ecoboost 2wd... I don't have a hitch on it yet, but that'll be next step... Wanted to take care of trailer first... My budget ideally is 300-400... Don't mind buying trailer first then buying deck and better bearings piece by piece... I'm getting mixed answers... Some people saying I'm OK using HF and some saying no

HF trailer with upgraded bearings, top speed 75mph.. Good to go? The trailer won't see heavy use often, but I also don't want it to break down and end up having to abandon it and ride bike home if it breaks down half way across country

I did a quick look on craigs list and found three trailers around 400 dollars much better than a HF with bigger wheels.  Now is a great time to look people get tired of having a trailer they don't need and no one is really looking. 

Spend $200 more and get one of the mesh landscaping trailers with ramp from Tractor Supply. Then buy a wheel chock from Harbor Freight and you are good to go.

This one has 12" tires too.. I'd be in the same boat.. I could get foldable HF trailer for $240 and then upgrade bearings and 15" tires and be out cheaper.. No sides or lift gate, but I don't really need those right away, I can add sides later at some point

This one has 12" tires too.. I'd be in the same boat.. I could get foldable HF trailer for $240 and then upgrade bearings and 15" tires and be out cheaper.. No sides or lift gate, but I don't really need those right away, I can add sides later at some point

Yeah but the quality is better on those trailers. I've hauled my bike to the gap 2x's and my ATV all over the tri-state at 65-70mph with no issues.

I know way out of you price range but this will be my next trailer.

http://www.tritontrailers.com/products/Model.aspx?CatID=26&SubCatID=29&ModelID=285&info=specifications

Not in a hurry for it so im just going to hope a used one comes along at half the new price.

Thanks for the advice guys... I'm going to go with HF trailer, I'll upgrade the bearings to be safe, and if I can afford it before the trip I'll grab some 15 " wheels

What are some good bearings for one of these?

The hubs may not be big enough for bigger wheels and bearings. Ya can;t just toss on any sized rims ya want to.

Check and see how big of a rim you can mount to it and then try to get the maximum size.

I made a trailer for a guy this summer and had about $300 in it.

See: http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/105772-what-have-you-done-for-your-motorcycle-lately/

If you have access to a welder or know a friend that welds, have them whip one up for you.

Don't need bigger bearings, just better quality... As for wheels, if I can't mount 15s then I'll just go with the 12s and keep it 75 or under... These options are nice, but none of them have been fold up so I can store them in my garage and still have space to move around... I need to dig up hoblicks build for his trailer... I thought he put bigger wheels on it, and I thought I read somewhere of someone else mounting 15s...I'll have to look into it more

I made a trailer for a guy this summer and had about $300 in it.

See: http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/105772-what-have-you-done-for-your-motorcycle-lately/

If you have access to a welder or know a friend that welds, have them whip one up for you.

I wish I had the tools and knowledge to build this... That's pretty nice

This bearing fear because the tires are smaller and spins faster is bullshit. Make sure it's grease packed "properly" with quality grease. Bearing buddies are great but have nothing to do with properly packing a bearing.

• Upvote 1

I can't get past the bearing and small wheel bullshit. I've had 5 different trailers and refuse to run less than 14" wheels. 4 of the 5 have made GAP trips where 80-85mph was an avg speed and never has a problem

Granted I'll be the first to tell you I'm paranoid for not much reason but it's helped keep me from issues

• Upvote 1

i think it would be fine. You should use high temp, AKA disc brake approved, wheel bearing grease.

I've been dragging around the same tiny trailer for I can't remember how many years. At least 6 maybe ten. And dozens of other tiny tire trailers since I was 16. I know I packed the bearings right a long long time ago. Even if the bearings get a little loose, I just snug it up, use the bearing buddy. Granted, by now the seals are shot but that just allows the bearing buddy to push thru a shit load of new grease. When seals are good the bearing buddy doesn't do much except maybe help fill the air gaps in the hub with grease when it gets hot, that you missed when you packed them. Otherwise, where did the grease go.

Edited by Gump