Picked up a Sig P250 sub-compact in .45

smccrory

20 years ago I had a fascination with .45 ACP and worked up to a carefully blueprinted Colt Combat Elite. I enjoyed it for a decade until I traded for an Italian Beretta 92FS in stainless. I mostly forgot about 45s for another decade because that awesome Beretta.

That changed when last year I saw an XDS45 subcompact while shopping for deep concealment pistols. I was impressed by its specs and stellar reviews, but opted for a 2nd-gen LCP as a go-anywhere CHL gun and am delighted I made the choice at the time. One can carry an LCP damned near anywhere. Still, it got me thinking about getting back into .45s for that big, thumpy boom.

I did a bunch of research and thought for sure I'd land on an XDS45 or a Glock 30S. For giggles, I went to the Westland Mall gun show yesterday, handled a LOT of guns and what do you know, a new 2nd-gen Sig P250 sub-compact chambered in .45ACP followed me home. Heck, even got it for the same money I paid for my LCP.

So, why the Sig P250sc .45? I handled the Springfield XDS45 first and appreciated the form factor and features, but my hand couldn't get used to its grip. Too long-and-narrow and the serrations tended to bite when squeezing tightly. I just didn't bond with the gun no matter how much I wanted to.

Then I labored over a used Glock 30S with 4 magazines and a box of target ammo for $425. That's a great deal - it is a Glock after all - but the top-back of its grip curves in a way that prevents me from holding the gun fully in the seat of my palm, which I know from experience decreases accuracy. I really wanted to connect with this one but it just wouldn't happen.

The Sig P250 .45 sub-compact felt right the moment I held it. Its grip size and stippling are perfect for my hands. I like that there are no external safeties. The edges are rounded for smoother draw. I like the double-action-only trigger. Magazines eject with some speed for quick reloads, and they're made in Italy out of steel, not plastic. The gun is dead-simple to break down, clean and reassemble. It uses a true DAO hammer, so you can double-strike if necessary. The 3-dot sights are big, bright and adjustable for windage. Made in Exeter NH except for the mag. Several frame and caliber conversion kits are available. The whole gun feels typical-Sig, i.e. well-designed and built, and I'm really looking forward to hitting the range.

Negatives? The first generation had serious problems which sullied its reputation and rejected it from multiple government contracts. By all accounts the 2nd gen fully resolved those issues, but reputational damage had already been done. That also resulted in fewer accessory options, and my frame doesn't have a picatiny rail, so I'd need to order a $40 frame swap to install a light or laser.

Still, it's about as small and "light" anyone could make a 6+1 .45 auto into. I plan to get a tuckable IWB holster for the option to carry concealed - it's certainly easier to pack than my 92FS when I want more juice than a .380.

Anyone else here have one?

• Upvote 1

I know where that's going. 

LOL me too, but I don't mind the lead.  I've read a lot, thought a lot and (at one point anyway) became thoroughly accurate at ranges with any gun.  But I fully recognize that's not the same as being proficient with carry and home defense scenarios.  Big fan of Ayoob too, which I gather VDG is as well.

I put 50 rounds through the P250 tonight and I like her! .75" centers at 20' shot single-handed. Weirdly I shoot it worse two-handed. Need more practice. But she's a keeper, so I came home with Talon rubberized stick-on grips and a Desantis tuck IWB holster to break in.