Newb deer processing question.

speedytriple

So i got a real nice doe Tuesday on a push we did, but put a lightfield slug through the rear of the deer. Question I have is I quartered the deer an packed it on ice. I am getting ready to clean and cut it up to pack my freezer, how much do i need to cut out around the two holes the slug made. The slug broke up an left a bunch of lead chips in the holes. I took all the pieces I saw out but do i need to cut some of the meat away from that area?

I'd try not to hurt your teeth on fragments, but a small amount of lead shouldn't hurt anyone. Anyone who gas eaten upland birds has swallowed lead. Do your best, but I wouldn't lose sleep over meat that has touched lead.

Congrats bud! and like others have said just trim around the wound and you will be fine. You should be able to tell once you are clear of it, i would just stay away from any real dark bloody parts but shouldn't be an issue at all.

Yeah i know. But it was on the run since we were pushing a hill. I was lucky i hit it at all. My buddies little brother missed a monster buck that dropped down after the three does did. I hit the front big doe, my buddy dropped the middle one the third on ran back. And his brother missed the 12-14 point.