Obamacare should be available to DREAMers

Strictly Street

I sure wish we didn't have to pay congress during a shutdown. They don't produce much while the lights are on to begin with.

Before you get too far out on a limb with this one take a look at this article.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/aug/06/lynn-jenkins/rep-lynn-jenkins-blames-harry-reid-do-nothing-sena/

Highlights of the article:

"The president is fond of referring to the House as the ‘do-nothing Congress.’ But we have 352 reasons why it’s a ‘do-Nothing Senate.’

"352 bills are sitting on Harry Reid’s desk, awaiting action.

"98 percent of them passed with bipartisan support -- Republicans and Democrats working together to pass legislation.

"50 percent of the bills passed unanimously, with no opposition.

"70 percent of the bills passed with two-thirds support in the House.

"And over 55 bills were introduced by Democrats.

"352 bills. Why won’t Harry Reid act? These are good bills; bills that put the American people back to work, put more money in hardworking Americans pockets, help with education, and skills training. We call upon Harry Reid to get to work before he adjourns in August to pass some of these bills. The American people deserve better."

Jenkins offered a lot of statistics in a short statement, so to keep this fact-check manageable, we’ll focus on her claim that in the "do-nothing Senate," there are 352 House bills "sitting on Harry Reid’s desk awaiting action," including 55 introduced by Democrats.  

Have 352 bills passed the House but await action in the Senate?

Basically, yes. We used the THOMAS congressional database to pluck out the 733 measures that have passed the House so far this year. We then weeded out a few categories of bills -- ones that, for procedural reasons, were never intended to go to the Senate (such as election of the Speaker, assignment of lawmakers to committees, and procedural motions) or ones that were subsequently taken up by the Senate (either being passed or rejected).

===

Lots of blame to go around on both sides of the fence. It's not just Congress either. Or even one side or the other.

It might be more accurate to say the Senate is stalling Congress. Whether or not this is a straight party issue is less clear.

Of course none of this matters at all if Obama uses executive actions to legislate bypassing both the Congress and the Senate.

So are we going to get a government shutdown every year now?

They have been going on since the Ford administration if you believe Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdown_in_the_United_States

They have been in successive years as well. So you can say your prediction has already come true starting in 1977, 1978, 1979 etc.

Of course the definition of shutdown varies as well, partial or full, state or federal.

Usually it has been a budget issue not an executive action issue like this is shaping up to be.

To be fair Obama hasn't passed a budget since 2009 so that angle is up in the air also.

They have been going on since the Ford administration if you believe Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdown_in_the_United_States

They have been in successive years as well. So you can say your prediction has already come true starting in 1977, 1978, 1979 etc.

Of course the definition of shutdown varies as well, partial or full, state or federal.

Usually it has been a budget issue not an executive action issue like this is shaping up to be.

To be fair Obama hasn't passed a budget since 2009 so that angle is up in the air also.

Can the president pass a budget by executive action?

• Upvote 1

So why is it on the president to pass a budget?

Umm.... It's his job ?!?!?

As we go down another rabbit hole ta-da! te-dum! Look out Alice here we come.

DisneyCheshireCat.jpg

And it does matter because the rules of spending govt money, are determined by the constitution of this country.

Hence the phrase 'Kick the can down the road' meaning they are still running under an extension of the old budget.

While still adding new laws and EO's without the explicit means of paying for them.

Reading through Fox News' version of Obama's plan, I actually think it makes sense. I don't want to be a part of an America that rounds up the illegals and puts them in camps awaiting deportation trains. Get these people paying taxes, give them a process for naturalization, but we need to simultaneously tighten the boarders and deport the criminals. Congress needs to get off their asses.

That being said, the constitutionality of this executive order is left in the hands of those far smarter than I am.

By definition they are all criminals they are all here illegally

Agree.... Our visual is the 20 year old gangsta with the rag down over his eyelids and the wife-beater. The reality is the 2nd grader whose mom brought him over as a baby. Kick down doors for that? I really don't know a better solution. Mi am NOT an Obama fan, but as there is liberal media bias, there is also conservative media bias....where there are unreasonable libs, there are unreasonable conservatives....

Umm.... It's his job ?!?!?

As we go down another rabbit hole ta-da! te-dum! Look out Alice here we come.

DisneyCheshireCat.jpg

And it does matter because the rules of spending govt money, are determined by the constitution of this country.

Hence the phrase 'Kick the can down the road' meaning they are still running under an extension of the old budget.

While still adding new laws and EO's without the explicit means of paying for them.

If the Republican leadership has publicly announced that they have no intention of working with the president (which they have) how exactly do you expect to blame him for a budget they won't pass?

So, instead of making it easier to become a citizen legally.. they just give amnesty to everybody?

My brief understanding is that it's not amnesty, it's deferral of deportation for parents of Dreamers and people who have been on US soil for year without committing serious crimes. I do need to read the full detail still though.

• Upvote 1

My brief understanding is that it's not amnesty, it's deferral of deportation for parents of Dreamers and people who have been on US soil for year without committing serious crimes. I do need to read the full detail still though.

I thought it was longer than a year....like five years or something. I haven't read the whole thing, but the snippets on the Fox News site make it look reasonable to me, although presented as unreasonable to the readers. Before any of this happens though, we must secure our borders.

If the Republican leadership has publicly announced that they have no intention of working with the president (which they have) how exactly do you expect to blame him for a budget they won't pass?

I'm pointing out that without a budget the rules are different on how they spend money.