Obamacare should be available to DREAMers

Strictly Street

The Obamacare and immigration debates collided Tuesday as Health and Human Services chief Sylvia Burwell called for extending Obamacare benefits to DREAM-eligible illegal immigrants.

Burwell was speaking on a public Google hangout with prominent Latina bloggers to promote Saturday’s opening of the Obamacare enrollment period when she shifted to her thoughts on immigration reform.

“DREAMers are not able to be covered in the marketplace. And this is an issue that I think is more than a health care issue — it is an immigration issue,” Burwell said in response to a question about whether families with mixed immigration statuses can get coverage.

“And I think everyone probably knows that this administration feels incredibly strongly about the fact that we need to fix that. We need to reform the system and make the changes that we need that will lead to benefits in everything from health care to economics to so many things — a very important step that we need to take as a nation.”

Only legal immigrants are eligible for Obamacare benefits, but liberal and pro-immigration groups have asked that Obamacare benefits be extended to illegal immigrants as well. Several groups have also advocated for the Obama administration to mandate Obamacare exchange eligibility for DREAMers, a term used to describe  illegal immigrants who are granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status.

=====

http://redalertpolitics.com/2014/11/12/hhs-chief-obamacare-available-dreamers/

====

You knew it was just a matter of time...

Pro or Con?

Being in the southwest really shows the true colors of these "dreamers". There are several just playing the system for handouts like this. The rate that they commit crimes down here is impressive.

Since when is Obamacare free? Did a single payer option get passed that i didn't hear about? Or did you mean medicaid? Do we need a refresher on what exactly Obamacare does?

Health and Human Services chief Sylvia Burwell said this, not I.

We know it's a tax, the Supreme Court said so. We are aware.

Save your typing fingers Magley... 

It won't help, mag. You won't be able to compete with 6 years of programming. When someone is that far off the details, it's because they don't care or are too invested in an opposing position.

Health and Human Services chief Sylvia Burwell said this, not I.

This is the government speaking.

It is not my personal opinion.

That's why I find this so ironic and worthy of comment.

Which makes your comment of 'When someone is that far off the details, it's because they don't care or are too invested in an opposing position.' even funnier! Quick! Attack the messenger. :lol:

Flame away....

Just remember your flaming your own side for being totally clueless about this wonderful new tax.

Edited by Strictly Street

Legitimize Dreamers into taxpayers Democrats, then why not?

There, fixed it for you. :)

Or actually get creative...

Legitimize Dreamers with a GOP-backed immigration reform and convert them (especially Latinos) into republicans.

But you and I both know that conservative xenophobia will scarcely let that happen.

Or actually get creative...

Legitimize Dreamers with a GOP-backed immigration reform and convert them (especially Latinos) into republicans.

But you and I both know that conservative xenophobia will scarcely let that happen.

Conservative xenophobia?!?
Always ready to throw the race card. 
Blanket accusations of racism.
ad hominem attacks, etc, etc...
When in doubt, throw the race card out.

Try this, The Democratic party started the conversation of amnesty back in the days of Clinton. This is not a new thing.

On September 10, 1996, a US House of Representatives subcommittee held hearings on allegations that some private firms certified to test the English skills of applicants for naturalization were approving applicants who could not speak English.

Republicans unveiled a memo written by Vice President Gore's office that says: "INS warns that if we are too aggressive at removing the roadblocks to [naturalization].... we might be publicly criticized for running a pro-Democratic voter mill." 

A Chicago Alderman wrote a letter to Mrs. Clinton urging an accelerated naturalization program to "provide the Democrats with a strategic advantage" in the 1996 elections.

On September 26 1996, California's Secretary of State ordered county voter registrars not to permit non-citizens to vote in the November 1996 elections, after it was revealed that 727 non- citizens in Los Angeles county had filled out the voter registration form attached to the driver's license application under the new "motor voter" law. 

See? Not a new thing. Also, not a Republican thing.

Which is kinda interesting when you think of the low voter turn out debate. 
Hmm...

So why shouldn't illegal immigrants be allowed to purchase commodities such as insurance?

Facepalm! Your own words, and I quote "illegal immigrants" might just be the crux of the biscuit.

So quick on the draw to defend your perceptions. You can't even wait for an opposing view.
You guys are attacking your own side here. She is a direct pick of Obama, appointed by him.

How about a comment on this clueless government official who is quoted in the article?

Or, you can continue to try to pick a fight with me over what someone else said.
Which will fail spectacularly, but will give me a lot of lolz! :)

Magz is talking about Dreamers, and there's going to be an ugly bottom to this logical string. There always is with isolationists.

Isolationists. Interesting labeling.

The 'Dreamers' are a protected political class. Special status and all that, setting them apart from others.

Obama now wants to up the ante with his immigration plans to bring even more people into the country.

Apparently his director of Health and Human Services thinks the 'Dreamers' and the new people should get free medical care.

As we all know, nothing is 'free' unless somebody else is paying for it and that somebody it would seem is you.

So, I do think your right, there will be a bad ending to this. The question is, bad from who's point of view?

It's your money...

No, they already get free healthcare in the form of the ER. Legitimize them into full citizens and they'll be mandated to pay premiums for preventative care and thus avoid chronic condition care delivered by the ER at the end of a disease chain like the rest of us. Plus they're young, so you'll be catching them in the least expensive phase of their lives.