Another item off my bucket list...

Helmutt

Many of you know I'm a practicing metal musician. Nothing professional by any means of the word, but had my share of limelight over the last 20 years. I'd wager most every musician has a shortlist of inspirational talent that drew them into the instruments they love/learned to play. Well last night I not only met, but got to sit and hang with one of the few players that originally inspired me to play guitar way back when.

Anyone even semi-fluent in 80's/90's metal will know of a band called Testament, and their original lead guitarist Alex Skolnick. If you're not into the metal scene, then he'd be known more commercially as the guitarist for Transiberian Orchestra over the last 9 years, as well as other independent projects in acoustic guitar works.

He was in Dayton these past few days putting on guitar clinics at the University of Dayton, but I sadly missed out on those sessions. BUT a fellow bandmate of mine ( Neil Hixson ), who's also the club owner of Oddbody's Music Room, hosted a local metal show last night where Alex would make an appearance and join in on a metal-fan-favorite rendition of Black Sabbath's War Pigs with Dayton area band Engine of Chaos. After the show was done and the club closed up for the night is when the best part happened, some after-show personal time with Alex and his crew. We all sat at the bar and had some drinks on the house as Neil and I revelled in our company and shared music scene conversation for more than an hour. It will be a night we'll never forget, and being exposed to Alex on a more personal level was truly interesting.

Neil has been a good friend for over 20 years, and a bandmate for 15. His corporate contacts and business sense has allowed me to meet quite a few of my mentors over the years, and last night was definitely a huge, cap worthy feather for me. I'm surely indebted to him for enabling me to meet a lot of my favorites in the music industry.

Pics to follow...

• Upvote 3

The energy in the room was amazing, words cannot describe it.

I got to shake his hand after he played, he had a smile from ear to ear too.

I have never seen so much respect given to anyone. Everyone gave him space and in return he did not rush out the door or hide in a dressing room. After the show he came out and shook hands with fans, took pics and gave autographs. Truly amazing experience. Oh and Revolver magazine was there.

Edited by snot

That's awesome, Alex is great. My bucket list is about to be checked as well. I met Steve Vai in the mid 2000's and got to see him play up close and personal. A few years later I had front row to Joe Satriani in a small theater venue (in Columbus actually, I forget the name) thanks to a friend of a friend who was a promoter. Didn't get to meet him though. Just a few weeks ago, I got to see Tony MacAlpine in a very small club in MI and meet him. The pic was taken with my iPhone...I was RIGHT THERE. Now in Feb, Vinnie Moore is going to be at that same club and I got tickets already. That will round out all of my favorite guitarists (wouldn't mind meeting Eric Johnson or Jason Petrucci either).

p.s. if you're interested in seeing Vinnie, let me know...maybe we can hook up at the show.

Tony.JPG

Here's a slo-mo vid I took too...

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 2

Vai and Satriani are on his list too.

They are awesome...I know Steve still does special back stage packages which are totally worth it if you are a fan. He's a super nice guy.

050409-Misc-6.jpg

Below is a pic of me holding Evo before it was retired...

050409-Misc-2.jpg

Uli Jon Roth is playing with Vinnie Moore that night too. Not too shabby,

• Upvote 3

That's cool stuff Joe. Vai and Satriani are definitely 2 artists I want to meet eventually. Always wanted an Ibanez Jem ( I'm an Ibanez fanboy ), just never had funds for the good versions and wont waste money on the cheaper copies.

I've met John Petrucci many years ago down at Bogarts before Dream Theatre took their first hiatus.

Darrel Abbott ( Dimebag Darrell ) was one of the first pro players I ever met, my first concert in fact was Pantera at the end of the Cowboys From Hell tour in '92. Hard to take him seriously though since all he wanted to do was party at the time, so I didn't get much insight on his talents aside from drinking large amounts of his famous Black Toothed Grins.

THAT.IS.AWESOME.

When you told me about it in text, it didn't quite click with me until now what was going on. Thats flat out rad! I bet that was one heck of show!

The ONLY way to top last night were if my band had played the show and Skolnick hopped on stage with me to pull some old Testament covers.

Of the 3 bands that played, all were given short lists of songs earlier in the week that Alex would do with them....Engine of Chaos managed to learn War Pigs and was the only band to put forth effort to learn any of the covers Alex listed.

If my band was on the roster, I'd have called in sick a few days to learn ALL the songs he wanted to cover!

Which department chair at UD was hosting a metal guitarist??

Dr. Morris is a friend of mine, and he would totally be up for this kind of guest, but he's a jazz saxophone guy... Jim McCutcheon was the guitar teacher when I was at UD, but he wouldn't have breathed on an electric guitar. Maybe that would be motivation for him to bring in someone else for something like this.

Pretty awesome stuff

Wait Alex gave a list of tunes and only one band learned any of them. Find out what is on that list and I will put together a band for next time he comes through.

Not sure exactly what all was on the list, but Neil told me that "Into the Pit" and "The Legacy" were a couple of the Testament tunes he listed

Which department chair at UD was hosting a metal guitarist??

Dr. Morris is a friend of mine, and he would totally be up for this kind of guest, but he's a jazz saxophone guy... Jim McCutcheon was the guitar teacher when I was at UD, but he wouldn't have breathed on an electric guitar. Maybe that would be motivation for him to bring in someone else for something like this.

Pretty awesome stuff

I've no clue as to who set this up, most likely his management company booked this with his approval, but Alex isn't simply a metal guitarist.  He's big into jazz/blues/rock/progressive/etc...and started an improv jazz group called the Alex Skolnick Trio.   Testament was only one of many heavy metal projects he was part of, but definitely didn't define him or his tastes

Very cool to meet a person that inspired you.

I bought a guitar this year and thought i would teach my self to play, then life got in the way.

I bought an entry level ESP guitar and amp.

I was just starting to learn a few of the drop D songs from the 90's ( rage against the machine)

One Cleveland local guy that has hit it big overseas is a guitar player named Neil Zaza.

Back in high school. 1988 - 1989, he had a band called Zaza...... my sister's friend was dating him and he was and still is a cool guy.

Edited by scottb

Damn, Zaza is good. Can tell he spent a lot of time behind a guitar and likely studied music theory? He's definitely fluent.

Good to hear you started playing. I did the majority of my learning the first few years of playing, but I did nothing but go to college, do homework, and jam hours a day. Made a big impact on my playing in a hurry. Keep at it Scott. Proper techniques take time and lots of practice, so dont let busy times make you quit trying. Just make time when you can and maybe schedule some time in the evenings. Just 30-45 minutes a day will help quite a bit. Obviously, repetition is key for muscle memory. Good luck man

Thanks, since I got a puppy, not much free time or alone time. 

Still need to get my pinkey finger on my left hand to "get with the program".

I can play the first few parts  of Rage's " Killing in the Name of" but need to work on the timing / cadence.

Neil was classically trained, but then put a rock spin on it. 

Thanks, since I got a puppy, not much free time or alone time.

Still need to get my pinkey finger on my left hand to "get with the program".

I can play the first few parts of Rage's " Killing in the Name of" but need to work on the timing / cadence.

Neil was classically trained, but then put a rock spin on it.

Ah yes, the pinky is usually always the weakest link for new players. The first few songs I ever learned were simple power chord progressions ( Scorpions, Metallica, etc ) and I used to fret the 5th and 7th notes with both my ring and pinky fingers to help strenthen the pinky, but I haven't used my ring finger on power chords in years, and mainly because I learned scales/modes. Honestly....scaling is where you'll develop the best dexterity and finger strength/control. It's a giant bore to run chromatics up and down the neck, but it's easy stuff to get your hands and brain working in unison, then make your way into scales and modes to get a variety of finger progressions.

Hope this helps and makes sense. I've only had one true lesson, then I went right out and bought Dave Celantanos book of Monster Scales and Modes - which was the same price as a couple lessons - and it taught me most every soloing technique I know, as well as plenty of chords. Dont mean to soapbox here, just the way I was self taught and what worked for me. Of course when I was learning to play, there was no YouTube :D

Edited by Hellmutt