Best Ducati ever built

Hoblick

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/2015-ducati-multistrada-is-four-bikes-rolled-into-one-1654158525

p0av7hln1bo3nwn9llgi.jpg

the new Multistrada just took the cake IMO on the best all around bike you can buy.  this thing is so advanced in every way.  makes the 2011 i had look ancient.

There's also a new electronic cruise control system (ECC) and the Bluetooth-connected Ducati Multimedia System (DMS), that links up with your iPhone or Android device, downloads ride info, keep tabs on settings, and uploads it to a network of likeminded riders. The new TFT dash allows riders to tweak both suspension and ride modes (sport, touring, urban, and enduro) on-the-fly.

Edited by Hoblick

There's also a new electronic cruise control system (ECC) and the Bluetooth-connected Ducati Multimedia System (DMS), that links up with your iPhone or Android device, downloads ride info, keep tabs on settings, and uploads it to a network of likeminded riders. The new TFT dash allows riders to tweak both suspension and ride modes (sport, touring, urban, and enduro) on-the-fly.
electronics play a massive role in the Multistrada's character, with a new Inertia Measurement Unit that keeps tabs on lean angles and fore and aft movements, and uses that info to manipulate the traction control, ride-by-wire (with four modes), and new wheelie control. It also plugs into the new Bosch Cornering ABS, which prevents wheel locking when the bike is mid-corner, and the revised Skyhook adaptable suspension on the Multistrada S.
Edited by Hoblick

Hob, you will have to ride this thing and give us what you think has improved.  A LOAD of new updates and additions.  The bank angle sensor, wheelie control, etc.  It is all going to add up to a pretty damn nice machine.

As for the comments on more stuff to go wrong, what needs to be understood is that when you have more power, better handling and everything, you need more computers and better data to make it useable.  This thing is very advanced and should prove to be a really great machine.

I think the new BMW will have some lookers also.  I think that and this MTS are bikes that are going to be more popular as most riders aren't using the Adventure bikes for what they were intended and then add in the weight and they are just porkly.

Hob, you will have to ride this thing and give us what you think has improved.  A LOAD of new updates and additions.  The bank angle sensor, wheelie control, etc.  It is all going to add up to a pretty damn nice machine.

As for the comments on more stuff to go wrong, what needs to be understood is that when you have more power, better handling and everything, you need more computers and better data to make it useable.  This thing is very advanced and should prove to be a really great machine.

I think the new BMW will have some lookers also.  I think that and this MTS are bikes that are going to be more popular as most riders aren't using the Adventure bikes for what they were intended and then add in the weight and they are just porkly.

set me up a test ride  :)

although I'm afraid to ride it because ill then want one  :broke:

This thing looks awesome.  And for those worried about the extra goodies, you might want to get used to it.  Bike telemetry and adjustability will become a standard feature in upscale motorcycles over the next 5 years.

I like the tech and electronic gadgets that are making their way onto 2 wheels.  

The one that I wouldn't want (yet) is electronic suspension.  BMW, Aprilia, Ducati, Yamaha, etc have some neat systems, I just don't trust that they will perform for years & years without some kind of calibration or manual fixing.  It seems like it would be an expensive part to service & I don't trust dealers to diagnose suspension issues anyway.  

I could be wrong, but I'll let electronic suspension develop for a few more years before I consider it.

Edited by Tpoppa

Is there a brand with a stronger lineup right now than Ducati? I don't think they're making a bike I wouldn't own. MTS, 899, Hyper SP, Scrambler. All drool-worthy.

Triumph, Yamaha, BMW all come to mind. Tiger, Tenere, 800. Triple, FZ, S1000R. 675, R6. New R1M, and S1000RR.

I'd LOVE one of these in addition to the 1098. I'd love to ride one...as somehow regardless of if I could churn up the funds...I seriously doubt the little lady would allow bike #3 in the garage.  :slap:

Mine just run. The Supersport needs a fuel sender, but after 56k miles of flawless performance, she's allowed to drop the ball now and then. My Multistrada runs as well as any Japanese bike I've ridden. Same with the Monster and my previous 748. It did develop a fuel leak at the sender, but that was a $5 gasket that I replaced in less than an hour.

20k on the Multi

36k on the Monster

56k on Izzy

30k on the 748

:dunno:

I hear ya, but I bet there was alot of planned maintenance involved in those miles? I would love a Duc, but could not have it be my only ride. I guess I like boring V-Stroms and SV650's that get 100K plus miles with minimal maintenance. :)

Ducs are still too temperamental and quirky for me to ever own one, but I sure do love to stare at them and hear them.

What experience and what years of Ducatis are you referring to?  The issue is that the general public think the bikes are high maintenance.  They are not.  The intervals are on par with any Japanese bike out there these days.  Cost of ownership is also lower than before.  It's relative.

Components may cost more, but they are better built.  You don't have DLC coated internal engine parts on the Japanese bikes.  The cranks are not as well made, etc.  It's relative - not because of the name...

I really love the direction Ducati is going. I'm curious what will happen when all the other models get a version of the panigale engine (chain motor).

The MTS was the only ADV bike I'd even consider due to its weight and being more sport oriented... Until that new BMW s1000 based ADV was announced. Even still, the fight would be between those two, and I have a hard time jumping on a four cylinder bike because of my bias for vtwins (or Ltwins).

I had a bad first impression with Ducati this summer after I purchased my first one (a new hypermotard sp). But I believe that was a fluke and pretty much entirely the dealerships fault. Every time i ride that bike, I'm 100% satisfied with it.

For anyone that try's to point out cost of ownership in a negative light: according to what comparison? They (Ducati, BMW, and I'm sure others) are extremely comparable to any Japanese bike... And both of those brands come with a much stronger warrenty. Ive heard people complain about cost of ownership, when they've never purchased brand new before.

If you are planning on buying a new motorcycle, I highly advise you to do your research. For me, it's a no-brainer to buy European. I feel you get way more bike and more warrenty for your money.