Starting to look for a job - Research/Engineering

OsuMj

There are so many jobs posted on GEs site. I found one or two that I might apply for. I've noticed some of the job descriptions are pretty vague, so its hard to tell if I am qualified or not, but it doesn't hurt to apply.

Apply for the Edison Program, any materials engineering or nondestructive testing engineers, and look for a general design engineer role. Let me know what you find and who posted the position, that is if you decide to apply. Let me know if you have questions about a position. A lot of them you may be over qualified for but it means you'll be able to move to the position you really want sooner.

Apply for the Edison Program, any materials engineering or nondestructive testing engineers, and look for a general design engineer role. Let me know what you find and who posted the position, that is if you decide to apply. Let me know if you have questions about a position. A lot of them you may be over qualified for but it means you'll be able to move to the position you really want sooner.

I'm applying for the Edison program now!  Thanks for the recommendation!

• 2 weeks later...

If Mount Vernon isn't too far of a drive for you, there's Rolls-Royce:

https://rollsroyce.taleo.net/careersection/1/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en_GB

There aren't many openings right now though because we were just bought by Siemens, so things are sort of in a holding pattern. Once Siemens officially takes over (tentatively on December 1st) there should be more things popping up, but through here:

http://www.usa.siemens.com/en/jobs_careers/us_jobs.htm

It remains to be seen what manpower increases they'll call for, but at the very least it'll provide opportunities for transfers anywhere Siemens is (so essentially anywhere in the world) once your foot is in the door, and potentially an in for RR positions too as we're still maintaining a partnership after the sale. Feel free to PM if you want any more info.

Usajobs.gov always has engineering jobs popping up on there. They are for all over but you can refine the search to Ohio if you want. I'd recommend checking it frequently because a lot of times they have a set number of applications they want. The job announcements often close early.

I applied to an Owens Corning job, although last time I talked to someone there about a job he implied that my GPA wasn't high enough.  I thought a 3.48 in a PhD program would be ok considering that I was an author on 7 papers, but he asked if it was possible for me to get it above 3.5... so I'm not holding out high hopes for that particular job.

Wow! Snarky assholes.

I have an aunt that works at that facility in Granville. I doubt she had anywhere close to the education or smarts that you have.

If Mount Vernon isn't too far of a drive for you, there's Rolls-Royce:

https://rollsroyce.taleo.net/careersection/1/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en_GB

There aren't many openings right now though because we were just bought by Siemens, so things are sort of in a holding pattern. Once Siemens officially takes over (tentatively on December 1st) there should be more things popping up, but through here:

http://www.usa.siemens.com/en/jobs_careers/us_jobs.htm

It remains to be seen what manpower increases they'll call for, but at the very least it'll provide opportunities for transfers anywhere Siemens is (so essentially anywhere in the world) once your foot is in the door, and potentially an in for RR positions too as we're still maintaining a partnership after the sale. Feel free to PM if you want any more info.

I'll keep an eye on those sites to see if there's anything that applies to my skill set!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Usajobs.gov always has engineering jobs popping up on there. They are for all over but you can refine the search to Ohio if you want. I'd recommend checking it frequently because a lot of times they have a set number of applications they want. The job announcements often close early.

I've been checking that site every once in a while too.  I like that they list your salary point, makes it a lot easier to know what they are looking for.

Wow! Snarky assholes.

I have an aunt that works at that facility in Granville. I doubt she had anywhere close to the education or smarts that you have.

I think the job I talked to them about was just in high demand, so they could be picky.  I bet a lot of their engineering/research jobs are in high demand though. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a group in the AF reasearch lab that focuses on materials and another that focuses on semiconductors, both of which may be of interest to you. I wouldn't recommend going anywhere besides AFRL if you want to continue doing design/research. Ive got a lot of contacts at the lab, if youre interested shoot me a PM and i can get you intouch. If you ever want to branch out of Ohio I have friends/connections at Applied Materials and Tokyo Electron that may be right up your alley.

As far as aerospace companies, your experience may be better off with ISR sensor manufacturers. Check out Ball Aerospace, exelis, united technologies, Integrity Applications Inc, Northrop, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I also interviewed in Germany and was extended an offer there as well. 

This was a better offer for a number of reasons, but I'm still a little bummed about not going to germany... as a result, I am going to need to travel there for fun to indulge myself. :)  Nothing a few vacations to europe won't be able to fix!