Puzzling yote situation

Gump

Sounds fishy and from the kill them all crowd. How'd they know the yote was in heat....

I'm more concerned about the increase in bald eagles.

12 years in the sticks with dogs always outside loose, old dogs, little dogs, sick dogs. No issues.

I want saying kill them all I was just pointing out they aren't always as sweet as they seem to be. As far as them knowing the coyote in heat most I believe it was speculation. But a friend did tell me he based that belief on the evening prior to his lab getting killed that the dog was acting the same as when one of his female dogs go into heat. But none of his dogs were in heat.

"Some" yotes will try to kill a dog, probably city yotes. But assuming all will, is like saying all city people will kill other people when they are starving.

More than just city yotes. trust me. Wild ones will try and kill a dog much quicker than some mild city yotes.  Lots of storys from some of the farmers out west where the guys i compete with are brought in to help deal with the yote populations. One farmer lost 4 dogs over a few month period to the yotes drawing them away and then killing them. the dogs were there to help protect the sheep and young calves. I dont know anything about the being in heat comment but in heavy populated yote areas dont underestimate them. We dont see half the problems with them as they have in more heavily populated areas because of just that. Less of them here. One of the guys I compete with makes a side living off of his yote hunting vids out west. They kill well over 200-300 every year because the farmers contract them to come in and help because they are loosing dogs, sheep, calves, etc to the overwhelming number of yotes. 

Edited by flounder

Gotcha. They run out of natural prey they'll turn to other sources or convienent sources when it's a coyote thats been conditioned to natural prey. I'm sure young ones learn from older ones, possibly bad habits just like domestic canines.

Keep the populations in check and there's a balance. Everything in moderation. What I can't stand is the "I saw a yote yesterday, there's tons of them, time to kill it" mentality. Same thing for deer.

That's why deer bag limits need to go down with respect to habitat loss. I don't give a damn about car damages and some yuppies flower beds. Grouse, pheasant, passenger pigeons, quail. They all use to be common.

I passed on a group of 8 or so does Monday. Saw some tails yesterday. Most nice Bucks are hammered out by bow hunters during the rut, which that season really needs limited with all the faster bows out there. 

Edited by Gump

Or just open bow season in the city. They did it in mentor this year deer are way over populated up there. I saw 32 deer on the way over to my inlaws in independence a few weeks ago. I swear the deer in the city are out of control, only way they get killed is by car or old age. I agree with the reduction in prime counties this year, might help the herd in that area.

Gotcha. They run out of natural prey they'll turn to other sources or convienent sources when it's a coyote thats been conditioned to natural prey. I'm sure young ones learn from older ones, possibly bad habits just like domestic canines.

Keep the populations in check and there's a balance. Everything in moderation. What I can't stand is the "I saw a yote yesterday, there's tons of them, time to kill it" mentality. Same thing for deer.

I think the convienent part hits the nail on the head. They dont need to hunt when they know they can come into an area where dogs are always tied up, sheep, calves, chickens, etc are penned. 

Or just open bow season in the city. They did it in mentor this year deer are way over populated up there. I saw 32 deer on the way over to my inlaws in independence a few weeks ago. I swear the deer in the city are out of control, only way they get killed is by car or old age. I agree with the reduction in prime counties this year, might help the herd in that area.

I agree, sad they dont do this. Problem is the tree huggers and the people that live in the area think OH, they are killing the cute deer and risk shooting people in the parks. . Add the to some hunter dragging out a nice deer covered in blood and they freak out. I know where my dad lives in Kansas, they paid to bring in "professional sharpshooters" to take out X # of deer out of a large park/wildlife area in the middle of the city. They shutdown the area for a week or 2 and these guys took out over 200 deer. They were also using rifles to do it from treestands of a certain height. 

Edited by flounder

Heard the deer results for ohio on the radio. Total deer were down somewhere areound 10,000 from last year.. Id say its time to cut back on the number you can get. Thats a crazy huge difference from just a year ago..

/\agree, and I agreed with it last year and the year before and few years more.. Some people blame the rain this year.

You can go to the DNR meetings concerning bag limits and state your opinion.

The conflict I see is measuring habitat loss/gain, interruption, # of tags purchased, # of new landowners who hunt vs. landowners who did and won't now, # of kill permits for crop owners, it goes on and on.

Not sure what I'd say that's factual other than why does it seem your trying to kill them all in rural counties, why, and the majority of the deer seen and photographed are yearlings. # of Trail cam pics went down since 4 years ago? Dogs could effect that, new house, crop rotation, no crop, new crop, clear cut property, et cetera. It does seem like everyone's simply shooting last years 1 year old deer(2 year olds), if the hunters care enough not to shoot all the yearlings.

Lower the limits and everyone has a better chance to tag one eventually. For the I didn't get one crowd.

But then there's the lengthen the season to get a better chance crowd.

The insurance claim crowd.

The crop owner crowd.

The save them all crowd.

The DNR does it for the money opinion thing.

DNR is getting what they wanted with the shoot the doe's for herd health crap story.

Hunting over baits ridiculous.

I'm not sure what the answer is because I don't agree with Dnr's population goals or understand their logic to begin with.

I'm in the "I didn't get one crowd."

I'm not at all upset about not getting a deer, I got out late and only had a little bit of time to hunt and track them this year. I will have plenty more time next year, and I will not get close to the bag limit. I see hunting deer as food for my family. I will go for 2-3 bigger ones rather than the 9 limit with smaller ones.

I was more upset with the lack of hunting available to me. I had to drive over an hour to get a decent spot on public land that wasn't overly crowded.

Anyone have some private land I can hunt next year?

So I was out squirrel hunting yesterday. Stumbled upon a coyote. when I first saw him he popped up out of some tall grass in a small clearing, about 30 yards away, then trotted off at a slight angle before turning perpendicular to me. I could hear him moving through the woods off in the distance. but it seemed like he was circling back some. I would have loved to take a shot but there was a large downed tree between us and he was out of range in a hurry.. This was the first time ive even seen a Coyote up close in the woods, this one seemed big compared to most things ive read, and he was colored very dark. I feel like my knowledge of dogs will allow me to guess the weight pretty well. Id say about 55 pounds. 

The big thing now is I want to start coyote hunting. which means I will be starting to piece together my build again. What can you guys tell me about Coyotes and hunting them. 

Also sorry for the derail but it seems this thread had run its course and thought it would be better to build on a thread then start a new one.

It's rumored that if a coyote responds to an electric call and gets shot at but misses they won't come into that certain call again. Since it sounds the same everytime the coyote will supposedly remember it and associate the sound with being shot at before.