Puzzling yote situation

Gump

First of all, no, I'm currently not shooting/hunting them nor do I need help shooting/hunting them, they've been in my woods for a decade.

My dogs live outside free 80% of the time.

One Dog, when outside, was barking more than usual in a warning pattern towards a specific area from midnight on to the Morning. This morning I let the coondog out with the other dog. She immediately with the other dog sniffed the air and went into alert mode with the hair standing up on their backs, normal when a stray dog or yote has passed by, but continuing to bark and smell the ground in frantic circles near the fence by the hay field. While Standing outside on the porch I see a yote crow hopping and trying to hide as it trots oddly back into the rabbit patches of uncut field grass in the hay field about 40 yards away from me. Then I see another yote walk almost out of the rabbit patch sit down in light cover and just sit there and watch us. The dogs and yotes are seperated by electrified high tensile fence. The dogs continue to sound off and head east past the end of the fence along the hay field, past the open entrance of the hay field and over the hill and turn southeast as if tracking something as if the yotes are not the subject of their attention. The dogs return to Their original area near the fence and hay field sniffing and sounding off, still with the hair standing up in their back and in the arched alert posture. The yotes, still sitting in the rabbit patch, then proceed to leave the cover, one at a time, spacing themselves about 40 yards apart, and exit the hay field and they cover the same exact path of the dogs southeast. The dogs and yotes, oddly, had plain site of eachother at this point and the dogs watched the yotes off/and on and the dogs sat in the yard relaxed watching the yotes walking away not 30 yards away as if,again, the yotes are not a threat. One yote even stopped and sat a while in the wide open

Odd scenario. The yotes weren't the target. What they all were after is unknown.

Edited by Gump

O Ya! That one time there was a weird woo woo sound freaking every farm creature out including myself. I think I posted about that before. I was hoping today it was that cop shooter out of PA whose still hiding. I'd like the $170,000 reward money. But Ya, Sasquatch.

Edited by Gump

Ya I'm thinking either the dogs had the deer earlier or the yotes did or the deer was wounded around their somewhere and they were protecting what they could smell but hadn't found yet or the dogs had it and the yotes drug it off. Either way I was impressed at the mutual respect that was shown between the yotes and dogs.

My dogs eat random deer and critters a lot, so it would have bugged them if someone stole their kill, or they could smell it but not find it. Makes sense that the yotes were there due to food.

Edited by Gump

Coyotes will do that around dogs just like the above vid. If they get used to the dogs, they may even come in and get real close or even play and vice versa if they are not looking to kill. There were a few yotes in the area where my GF's parents lived and the yotes would come all the way in to the end of their huskys chain and they would basically play with each other. 

Coyotes will do that around dogs just like the above vid. If they get used to the dogs, they may even come in and get real close or even play and vice versa if they are not looking to kill. There were a few yotes in the area where my GF's parents lived and the yotes would come all the way in to the end of their huskys chain and they would basically play with each other.

Yup. The coyotes in our neighborhood "talk" with our Husky. I'm convinced they're plotting something.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

The other thing to beware of is that yotes will try and draw a dog away into their area and then they will attack it and kill it for food so dont take their lack of aggression as always being playful. They are cunning, pack hunting little shits. Which reminds me, I think ill head out back tonight and try and do my part to remove a few of them. Theyve woken me up the past 2 nights. 

We just had to use four wheelers at deer camp to pull the deer hanging WAY up the tree due to yote tracks around them. We sat on the gut piles the one night with muzzle loaders to see if they would come in on them. Did'nt see anything though, but same thing we hear them at night.

I've known several people out in the sticks that have had their dogs killed by coyotes. I've heard stories about packs of coyotes sending a female in heat up to a property with dogs and drawing dogs away from the house. Once Seau from people they ambush the domestic dog. Is not just a city thing.

Sounds fishy and from the kill them all crowd. How'd they know the yote was in heat....

I'm more concerned about the increase in bald eagles.

12 years in the sticks with dogs always outside loose, old dogs, little dogs, sick dogs. No issues.