Buell. Yes or No? Help

wikiwiki750

Alright everyone I need some advice. I have a bulged disc in my lower back and during the summer if I were to ride my gsxr for more than an hour my back would be screaming. I love super bikes and I love that I know that I can beat most bikes off the line on my 750. But I would rather have a ton of torque. My question is, should I trade my 05 gsxr 750 with 25k miles for an 09 buell xb9sx, I love v twins. I've always loved the looks of buells but most importantly I love the seat stance of the bike. I have ridden a friends KTM superduke and loved the "streetfighter" naked bike stance. My question is should I make the trade? the buell only has 13,000 miles on it. Is in perfect cosmetic condition and from the paperwork and sound, the bike is mechanically sound. I need some advice on what I should do. I know my suzuki is going to have higher resell value since buells aren't made anymore and it's hard to find parts but the parts are pretty interchangeable with harleys. I would really appreciate some advice either for or against this move. 

I've had 3 Buells, including an XB9S & XB9SX.  I put 40k on a first year (2003) XB9S and only ever needed gas, oil, spark plugs, and tires.

I won't be nearly as fast in a straight line as your GSXR.  Speed is closer to an SV650.

XBs are reliable and simple to maintain.  Dealer support sucks, but that was true even when Buell was still around.  If you can read a manual and turn a wrench there is little reason to need a dealer.  Maintenance is simple DIY.

The best qualities of the XB9SX are the comfort and the handling.  Handling will feel a lot different than the GSXR, but once you get used to it they eat up tight twisty backroads. 

btw, VERY few parts are interchangeable with Harleys.  Maybe the clutch ramp and some gaskets...not much else.

I've had 3 Buells, including an XB9S & XB9SX.  I put 40k on a first year (2003) XB9S and only ever needed gas, oil, spark plugs, and tires.

I won't be nearly as fast in a straight line as your GSXR.  Speed is closer to an SV650.

XBs are reliable and simple to maintain.  Dealer support sucks, but that was true even when Buell was still around.  If you can read a manual and turn a wrench there is little reason to need a dealer.  Maintenance is simple DIY.

The best qualities of the XB9SX are the comfort and the handling.  Handling will feel a lot different than the GSXR, but once you get used to it they eat up tight twisty backroads. 

btw, VERY few parts are interchangeable with Harleys.  Maybe the clutch ramp and some gaskets...not much else.

Awesome. My next question is should I take the xb12s over the xb9sx if possible?

I prefer the 9.  The power of the 12 doesn't feel much different, the 9 actually revs up little quicker.  Also the 12 was prone to crankshaft bearing failures after 35k.  The 9 had no such issues.

I've read that the 12 got a lot hotter quicker and the cooling fans had to stay on longer. I think I'm probably going to go with the 9 and if the power is too little NHRS makes big bore kits and 3 stage CNC kits that are fairly cheap.

I think you'll enjoy the torque enough that you won't need any big bore kit. I'll take vtwin torque over i4 scream any day

I agree. The i4s are great. I love the occasional 100mph blips but I can't afford a ticket and I know eventually that will come.

I'm trying to look at all of the performer parts for the 9 vs the 12 and see what's going to suit my needs best. I can get an 09 very nice looking xb9 for my bike plus cash. I might make that trade instead of trading for an even older xb12. There's enough parts for the xb9 that I can make roughly the same torque as the 12

I've ridden a xb12 on several occasions and is actually what I learned to ride on. Those bitches get reallllly hot, I thought my VFR was bad but damn that one took the cake

I've read that too. I've read that the cooling fans on the 9 are more efficient since the 9 s don't get as hot as the 12s. Overall I've read the 9sx is the best overall performing bike. On the city streets it has great torque. On the curvy roads it has great suspension and the shorter crank allows you to corner better and not have to downshift as much as the 12. I guess it's the ego thing that makes me want the 12.

XBs are plenty reliable...until you start modifying engine internals.  Check badweatherbikers.com for lots of info on the subject.

If an exhaust an ECM reflash (several good optons) won't result in enough hp for you, I'd look at something like the Z1000 or Speed Triple instead.

My $.02

Edited by Tpoppa

XBs are plenty reliable...until you start modifying engine internals.  Check badweatherbikers.com for lots of info on the subject.

If an exhaust an ECM reflash (several good optons) won't result in enough hp for you, I'd look at something like the Z1000 or Speed Triple instead.

My $.02

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at all the options. Only problem with the speed triple and z1000 is they are both out of my price range or what I've seen so far. I can get this 09 buell for my bike and $700 cash. I think that's a fairly good deal

I had an XP 12 S for many years. I really enjoyed the motorcycle. Never had any problems at all whatsoever. I think I put about 12,000 miles on the bike. The 12 has plenty of power to get you up to 100 mph for those sprints if you really want.

Coming off of the bikes you mentioned the Xb will feel severely underpowered to you. But the torque and overall character of the bike is intoxicating. I came off a litre bike to my first XB and there is no comparison speed wise but I could push the Buell much harder and ultimately ride it faster through anything other than straight fast paced roads. They are seriously awesome bikes and honestly the most fun I have ever had on two wheels. To this day I regret selling my Xb9r. A very well engineered and fantastic performing bike for what it is. I could write a novel on the Xb or 1125 series. If you would like any more in depth information feel free to pm me. Xb's are super reliable and  also easy to be had cheap, for the most part. Although I have noticed a slight but steady increase in price the last year or so. I personally would jump on it. Just up to personal opinion I suppose.  

• 4 weeks later...

Admins can we get this thread title changed to "Buell, why not?"

They are awesome bikes to ride. I don't really have more to say than what has already been said. Not fast, but fun. I've had my share of them. Take a chance, worst case scenario, sell it the next season.

And no, they're not "collectors items" yet.

True.  I think it's possible that they will be some day though.  So many XBs have met their demise in garages as part of some homemade chopper project.

I wouldn't be surprised if clean, stock, "survivor" XBs are sought after by collectors someday. 

After riding the xb9 for work this past year, I have to say I love it.  It's not the vfr, no freaking comparison, but the Buell is nimble, gets awesome mpg's, has attitude and is mostly care free.  Easy to farkle, lots of aftermarket schtuff.  Would be hard to part with.

I loved my xb12r. I put 30k on that bike. Only problems I had: drive belt at 18k, voltage regulator at 27k. Both were inexpensive fixes, and easy to do. Every time I worked on that bike I always thought to myself that it was designed really well. Everything was well thought out for maintenance purposes.

It's hard not to smile whenever you thumb the starter on a buell. It sounds like a muscle car and shakes like a dog shitting razor blades. It's entertaining.

EB, squeezed the absolute max amount of power out of the XB motors while keeping them reliable. The motor still has limits, but it was acceptably sporty.

The chassis on the other hand was ahead of it's time, and quite capable.

Well put, I agree completely