Another reason why Michigan sucks

Casper

Just car dealer lobbying power.  The hope is car buyers - you know, the actual customer - will win out.

Doesn't the customer win out by having choices?  I'm not sure I understand, but it sounds like enfranchised car manufacturers are trying to protect themselves from losing sales.  Someone explain?

I don't want either.

But Josh - my point was that consumer pressure will hopefully, eventually force the government's hand.  The honorable Government of the great state of Michigan has no role in the design of auto distribution so long as consumers aren't harmed.

I don't want either.

But Josh - my point was that consumer pressure will hopefully, eventually force the government's hand.  The honorable Government of the great state of Michigan has no role in the design of auto distribution so long as consumers aren't harmed.

The problem is, the state up north did just that...they (state up north) took a direct role and legislated how a manufacturer can do business with the consumer.

Tesla's customer is not the run of the mill Joe blow customer, and the fact that dealers and "other" manufactures lobbied so hard to get this done, makes me wonder what they are scared of.

Didn't Ohio try to do the same? At first I thought the Tesla was an overrated overpriced boring car. But then I got to ride in one and educated on all the innovative stuff about it and now I'm a big fan of what they are doing!

In 1960 Detroit was the richest per capita city, since then it has been on a constant decline.

Lets look at the mayors from 1960 on.

100px-Louis_Miriani_Mayor_of_Detroit.jpg Louis Miriani September 12, 1957 – January 2, 1962 Republican[96] -

100px-Jerome_Cavanagh_-_WJROneOfAKind.jp Jerome Cavanagh January 2, 1962 – January 5, 1970 Democratic[6]

100px-Roman_S._Gribbs.jpg Roman Gribbs January 6, 1970 – January 1, 1974 Democratic[6]

100px-ColemanYoung1981a.jpg Coleman Young January 1, 1974 – January 3, 1994 Democratic[6]

Dennis Archer January 3, 1994 – December 31, 2001 Democratic[101]

100px-Kwame_Kilpatrick.jpg Kwame Kilpatrick January 1, 2002 – September 18, 2008 Democratic[103]

100px-Ken_Cockrel.jpg Kenneth Cockrel, Jr. September 18, 2008 – May 11, 2009 Democratic.[106]

100px-Dave_Bing.jpg Dave Bing May 11, 2009 – present Democratic[106]

weird

Cause or effect?

Detroit's decline was primarily due to changes in the economy and demographics.
Average income in a district has strong correlation with voting.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I would call this a case of a failure of leadership to make the tough decisions to match economic changes.

1n 1962 Detroit had the highest per capita income in the US.  Since 1962 property values have been dropping, and population has been shrinking.  The city has refused for decades to make tough decisions to cut budgets and reduce city staff to match the decrease in income and property tax revenue.  This is party due to strong union influence. They have been effectively kicking the can down the road, until well you know the rest.

Also, 1962 was the last time that Detroit had a Republican Mayor.  Just sayin.