Daytona 200 canceled for 2015

Casper

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on how you define "make their living," I might take that bet, too.

There won't be any factory teams. There won't be any superbike teams, since Datyona ignored their promise to return superbikes to the 200 and will be running 600s instead. So if you're a top-level superbike team, you'd have to get and prep a 600, add all the quick-change crap for pit stops, put together a crew, all for a one-off race.

There will be way more talent in the Superprestigio indoor dirt-track race in Barcelona this weekend than there will be in the Daytona 200 in March.

There will be way more talent in the Superprestigio indoor dirt-track race in Barcelona this weekend than there will be in the Daytona 200 in March.

I would agree with that for sure, but that's because flattrack is so cheap by comparison.

We'll see who shows up to the 200, but I stand by my claim that the top 5 will all be names we recognize. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We'll see who shows up to the 200, but I stand by my claim that the top 5 will all be names we recognize. 

Just as an update, I believe Geoff May and Josh Herrin are both confirmed entrants for the 200 this year.  Josh Hayes was inches away from a deal to race a bike prepped and sponsored by Marietta Motorsports, but the brass at Yamaha wouldn't allow it (not that I blame them).

I attended Daytona bike week for 11 year with the last round in 2005.

The road racing was always low attendance, flat track at Memorial stadium was usually packed but the show winner was always the Supercross!

The 200 and the other road races could become snooze fest.

ojpioUhl.jpg

Supercross under the lights, 2 stroke exhaust it was a perfect combo!  The 250 2-smokers were still beating the 450's! 

glcLrg7l.jpg

Edited by bark615

It was pointed out on the WERA board that most of the professional level riders are still doing the 200 without team support - at least not their "full-time" team.

Herrin is the only one I'm aware of riding the MotoAmerica series with the same bike he's using in the 200.

What I'm most interested in are the club-level guys who have shown they can hang with the pros. 

this is the pre-entry list http://www.asraracing.com/Forms/2015/Daytona%20200%20entrants.pdf

I know Jason Farrell's name comes up a lot as a seriously fast 'amateur.'  And there's John Blike Jr. from Akron, OH as well.  I am not familiar with him at all, but that's cool to have someone from Ohio on the grid.  Would have expected Ryan Kerr if I expected anyone.