Daytona 200 canceled for 2015

Casper

Good riddance I say. A 200 mile trip around Daytona on 600's is not so much of a spectacle. The only way to make that race worthwhile is setting it up like the 8 hour. I don't see a lot of riders or teams that even see the 200 as a way to truly make money. What I am most upset about right now is no Mid-Ohio on the calendar.

Edited by e-flores
  • Upvote 1

Maybe the bad press will help bring public pressure to bring them to the table again???  Seems like a lot of bad things happening to the sport in general.  Lots of people don't even know anything about the sport or have even heard about it.  I would have thought Dorna would bring some $$$ to the sport to help change it not this...ugh!!!

Just looked at the schedule and I hope they still plan to run Moto 2 & 3 along with what is proposed as MotoAmerica support races. Those 2 classes are the best racing there is. If not MotoGP is out at Indy, IMO. You won't get the international crowd just for GP. The international fans make up a significant amount of the track crowd.

That's a damn shame. I wonder what the disagreement was between the track owner and KRAVE?

Honestly I'm not convinced it's sour grapes as much as finances.

How much does it cost to race at Daytona? The crowds have not been large at all. I am betting the track cost doesn't justify the expense. If MotoAmerica can't make money or at least break even hosting the event, then they shouldn't agree to it.

Losing money does nothing To advance road racing in America.

Still negotiating, I'd say that's why the July date is still open.

That's what I'm thinking as well. If they get that on the schedule that will make it 9 rounds. Already better than last year and that's with losing the Daytona 200. I have seen a lot of complaints from the west coast that all the tracks they are running are in the east. But who cares about the west coast anyway?

They are changing it, they've already doubled the rounds for this coming season. KRAVE will be good for it, I've no doubt.

I have no doubt KRAVE will be great for racing here and that one of the main reasons Mid-Ohio is not on that list is because it is so geographically close to indy and their better off spreading out the events. But I would hope that Mid-Ohio is on the list within two seasons otherwise I will start to doubt KRAVE's ability to run a great series. Especially considering Mid-Ohio's location in regard to the AMA's headquarters and what it means to the AMA to have a local event to showcase to contributors to the organization.

• 4 weeks later...

I always thought tire changing during a motorcycle race was sort of wierd.

Its unusual but doing it is a ton of fun. I crewed in the 2010 race for one of the amateur teams and it was that experience that got me into watching motorcycle racing again. The series has been in a miserable decline and I fear this may be the nail in the coffin for motorcycle road racing in America. I hope I'm wrong.