current conditions on 536 & routes south of 78 / east of I-77?

Chuck78

I'm contemplating my last big ride of the year for sometime in October, and was hoping to get some input on the current conditions of 536. The past 2 years, I have heard a lot of bad things about culvert patches leading into turns, massive tar strips, & gravel. This summer, I have read or inquired on 3 accounts of rides there, and was treated with good feedback saying the road was fine.

The only way I could justify the ride this time of year is if it were a mild weather dry day to where I wouldnt have to worry ad much about wet leaves & gravel washed into the road.

The other condition was that I'd have to slab it to at least 668->669->>>->>556->7 so that I could hit it with more uphills. (Or slab it further to get big muskie drive to 556). Also, northwest bound will avoid the fabled 15mph decreasing radius right hand turn southbound that had sent many riders into the field next to it, so I hear.

I rode 255, 26,78,565/260/537, 260 north of 26, 676, etc last year. Although there were some sections of 26,260,537&565,etc that had some fairly tight turns, I was really hoping for more tight 15-30mph turns & switchbacks than I found. 255 had some tighter ones imo,but was more medium speed sweepers than anything. Denny has recommended a few more roads that are tighter, but it seems as if 536 is more of what I was longing for, aside from some dangerous blind turns/rises/decreasing radius areas.

I was contemplating the coshocton area, but it doesnt seem as tight as my favorite backroads in the hocking/burr oak/etc areas, so the only other alternative was to do the long haul to 536/260/255/556 etc. 258 & a few roads around Cambridge seemed like a worthy destination, but the distance is a bit far for lack of many similar roads in the area.

Opinions? Conditions/reports?

I know some will say 555, which I will give another try, but I wasnt that impressed with it, and there are so many farms that there was a lot of debris in the road from all the harvest activity. Also,not as forested and scenic as I'd hoped for, farms & massive clearcut hills were the bulk of it (as with 377's scenery).

While I have been doing some riding in this area, I have yet to come across anything like 536.  I rode it last year and conditions were fair, but they had placed some culverts and had some wide patches of tar at each culvert placement.  Was just on 26 and 260 last weekend and I thought the road conditions were pretty good aside from one patch of gravel that had washed from a driveway all the way across both lanes.  800 also in decent shape.  RT7 is getting beat up by all the truck traffic from the Oil & Gas activity.  I would guess that many roads around the Woodsfield area are also getting hammered with truck traffic...Belmont county and Monroe county as well as they are the current hotspots for drilling activity.  555 has deteriorated quite a bit in many areas...it's still a decent ride, but I often look for other routes and I'm only 10 minutes from the terminus on the north side.  I had a ball on 676 on the west side of Marietta a couple weeks ago, but again not "on the level" with 536s madness.

Also, where exactly are these "backroads" over in Hocking area?  I have been exploring down there a little and have not seen anything on par with 260/800/26. Always looking for a new twisty road to play on.

You have a PM BTW.

Chuck...if you do decide to go over to 536,if you have the time go across the bridge in Hanibal,go about 5 miles North on WV2  and take a right onto Proctor Creek rd...you'll know it by the sign warning about dangerous curves.It's by the Proctor post office.It's pretty fun from the get/go but the real fun starts after the swithbacks and you get up on the ridge.

It's 26 miles long,but be careful on the last 6 or so,you still have good pavement but no lines and a lot of trucks run that road.The last 6 miles is more of a scenic ride.

Proctor T's into 250 in the Cameron area.

RCBS...did you take 676 all the way to 555?Personally I like the area between Dale and 555 better than 536,especially now that it has good pavement.

If you're looking for other VERY twisty roads you might try...530 from Lowell to 145,and 217 from 218 to Miller south of Gallipolis.The other end of 217 near 141 has some very tight turns also.

Just be careful on the first pass on these roads,they all have some turns that could ruin your day.

How does Sykes Ridge Rd compare to 556, aside from being much narrower? I'm trying to plot the most tight/low speed turns as I can for a ride that is going to be 8 hours of saddle time to be able to hit my favorite roads in the 536/255/260 area. Was going to slab it on 70 to barnesville or somewhere & hit 536 first thing.

I found some info from mj88 on a supermoto forum on good backroads and road conditions from one month ago.

Edited by Chuck78

I met hemm118 at 145/564. Down 145,up 821,530,60,7,26,I think it's Tice run rd, up 260,537,26,800,255,Griffith rd or Old SR 255 up and back down to 255,I think long ridge rd to 536 and back to 255,7,536,Sykes ridge rd <New soon to be gem< up 7,556, we split up and I went up 26 to make my way home. The top of 26 was probably the cleanest I've ever seen it, one little spot of gravel in the south lane. Over all roads were in good shape. 255 and Sykes ridge rd had the most sh!& on the road.

Sykes Ridge is 3/4 new pavement with a well site at the end of the new pavement. They put gravel along side the new so some is on the road from well trafic. The other 1/4 is in good shape with some spots of gravel.

Tice is a good cut over road. It's twiste but short with nice pavement.

Griffith Rd, nice pavement and Long Ridge Rd, new pavement. Both are good cut over roads if needed.

The only one I didn't get to today is the road off of the top of 145 with new pavement that we looked at on the Ohio Rally ride.

Last edited by MJ 88; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:06 PM.

Edited by Chuck78

That info was from a supermoto forum, posted by an O.R. resident supermoto rider, MJ88.

We were doing some exploring, and still have more to do.

Did you ride 260 south of 26?

Edited by Mj 88

I was looking at the map, and I think I only rode 260 from 78 to a jog west on 145(?) so that I could hit the short but sweet 565 with a jog on 260 for a second and then the short but sweet 537. Both were similar terrain to 26, following a winding creek with a few jumps into the hills and back, but both were probably the highlights of the ride. There was a section of 26 more towards Marietta that was the most memorable (tighter). I hit 255 from Woodsfield to the river and back on 255 again, enjoyable ride it was, then 26 to 537 west to 260 south and back to 26 (skipped a gentle sweeper section on 26  to hit the much better 537 and 260.  then back to 26.  So no, I don't think I hit 260 south of 26, but it does look like the section down to Rinard Mills Rd would be a blast.  Rinard is quite good I hear as well.  So if heading on 26, you have a long detour bypass to the north AND south, to skip the more sterile segment of 26 just east of 260.

800 looks like an absolute blast coming up from the river for a mile or two, but as it appears and I have been told, the rest looks like easy casual riding with only a few big sweepers.  If I could hit 536 from the river, link to 255 back to the river, then 800 up from the river for a short bit and jog on backroads to Rinard and south to 260 and north on 260, this would be a great zig zag ride

Chuck...if you do decide to go over to 536,if you have the time go across the bridge in Hanibal,go about 5 miles North on WV2 and take a right onto Proctor Creek rd...you'll know it by the sign warning about dangerous curves.It's by the Proctor post office.It's pretty fun from the get/go but the real fun starts after the swithbacks and you get up on the ridge.

It's 26 miles long,but be careful on the last 6 or so,you still have good pavement but no lines and a lot of trucks run that road.The last 6 miles is more of a scenic ride.

Proctor T's into 250 in the Cameron area.

I wonder if it'd be worth the trip on the slab past zanesville to hit 250@ moundsville to proctor creek rd to proctor, wv to hannibal@536??? is the Moundsville to Hundred section of 250 still filled with bad pavement sections???? Edited by Chuck78

If doing Proctor Creek Rd there & back to/from Hannibal, is there a fitting turnaround point before hitting 250, or is it amazing all the way to the end at 250? Or any other great routes back to 536/255/260 on the Ohio side of the river??? Sounds like the caliber of road that would make a 2 way there & back more rewarding than most roads in the area.

My bigger dilemma is justifying 1.5 hrs slab & back to ride good roads THAT far from Columbus vs my favorite zig zag routes through Hocking & then Lake Hope/685/78 burr oak scenic byway/669/555/676. None of my buds seem to be able to do a 5 hour ride let alone 8-10!

Edited by Chuck78

If doing Proctor Creek Rd there & back to/from Hannibal, is there a fitting turnaround point before hitting 250, or is it amazing all the way to the end at 250? Or any other great routes back to 536/255/260 on the Ohio side of the river??? Sounds like the caliber of road that would make a 2 way there & back more rewarding than most roads in the area.

My bigger dilemma is justifying 1.5 hrs slab & back to ride good roads THAT far from Columbus vs my favorite zig zag routes through Hocking & then Lake Hope/685/78 burr oak scenic byway/669/555/676. None of my buds seem to be able to do a 5 hour ride let alone 8-10!

I face a similar dilemma.  I can make a hell of a route just getting down to "the good stuff" or I can "slab" on RT60.  I trailered down to Marietta Walmart my last two trips and made it the start/stop point as I've been having a shoulder problem and any more than 3-4 hours on the bike is very unpleasant at this point.  I will likely employ this tactic while exploring in WV next season as well. 

RCBS...did you take 676 all the way to 555?Personally I like the area between Dale and 555 better than 536,especially now that it has good pavement.

If you're looking for other VERY twisty roads you might try...530 from Lowell to 145,and 217 from 218 to Miller south of Gallipolis.The other end of 217 near 141 has some very tight turns also.

Just be careful on the first pass on these roads,they all have some turns that could ruin your day.

I second this. I'll be running around 217/141 early Thursday morning. I'll grab the camera and see if I can't get some decent footage for ya chuck.

My bigger dilemma is justifying 1.5 hrs slab & back to ride good roads THAT far from Columbus vs my favorite zig zag routes through Hocking & then Lake Hope/685/78 burr oak scenic byway/669/555/676. None of my buds seem to be able to do a 5 hour ride let alone 8-10![/quote

Is Proctor Creek worth an hour and a half slab by itself vs the good stuff in Morgan and Washington counties?No.But if you are in the area,it is well worth the trip across the river.Another good road that cuts off of Proctor Ridge is Brock's Ridge,it runs down to WV 7 which takes you back to new Martinsville and WV 2.I think Proctor Ridge is worth an out and back,but the last 6 miles or so is not high speed road,it's scenic and very remote.You could go out and on the way back take the Brock's ridge WV 7 route back.

Or.....you could do the route you mentioned in the Morgan county area and head south to Gaiia county.There's some good stuff down there.

Check out the route we ran last week...it's under Curves and Colors over on rideohio.org.That route is guaranteed to please!

Check out the route we ran last week...it's under Curves and Colors over on rideohio.org.That route is guaranteed to please!

That looks like a pretty good route. I don't think the stuff east of 77 is all that great really. Much of the road surfaces are poor and the fracking trucks are everywhere which means they drop stuff everywhere

I've never heard of the rideohio forum. I'll have to check that out. 

Mary

This may turn into a solo ride in spring for me, but I still am very interested in the routes. 537/260/565 were very fun, & I have yet to check out 530 and dalzell. I hope to be able to link sykes ridge rd east to proctor creek rd, 536n,maybe 255 south, 260 north past 537&565/ backroads east to 26 s /537 west-260-565west / 530 west (heard it's best east though). I haven't plotted it, but this sounds like a solo ride, as I can't imagine many of my riding buds agreeing to a 10+ hour ride as it seems it'd be...

I also am really wanting to check out 217/218/775/greasy ridge rd asap. Last time we were in that area my buddy following me didnt show up at the stop sign at the bottom of a hill after some nonstop twisties... I turned aroundto find him and our sweeper bud on a chopped xl1200c standing over my bud's '77 kz1000 as it lay backwards & upside down in a ditch after dragging hard parts too hard in a turn & breaking traction & sliding across the other lane into the ditch... Luckily we were able to limp it to kentucky with twisted triple & "straightened" bars, but we had to bypass the rest of the real twisty fun for the day.

Had 2 friends following me go down this season as well, even after emphasizing the "ride your own ride" motto... One was due to gravel & the other was pushing his heavier zrx1100 too hard for his comfort as he rarely gets out to the hills & twisties to get a lot of fun cornering miles in... Gotta rethink things next year as far as disclaimers/warnings, my speed when leading lesser twisties-experienced riders, & who to take riding to the tighter stuff...

Edited by Chuck78