CDC Confirms Patient In Dallas Has The Ebola Virus

Strictly Street

Btw...I work as industrial electrician...currently at a cryo plant over near Woodsfield.If you walk through the parking lot you'll see plates from at least 15 states.There are people there from all over,including a few from Africa.

For either work or play I've been to all the lower 48 states and around 10 countries.

Every work day I'm around voltages from 480 to 13800 volts,2-3000 amps,lifting stuff up to 10,000 lbs and very high psi's.

So please excuse me if I'm not impressed with your itinerary or job hazards Mr My Level.

Pshh we all know voltage doesn't kill

I can be reasonably successful at avoiding ellectrical accidents by following safety protocol. I can be reasonably successful at avoiding violent crime by avoiding certain areas, situational awareness, and self defense weapons. I can be reasonably successful at avoiding the HIV by not putting my dick in dirty things and the proper use of universal precautions. Until more is known about the "live time" outside of the human body, I can do nothing to prevent me from sitting in the same airplane seat that some Liberian Bloody McSneezy hacked on three flights earlier out of Newark International or Logan International.....both places where my livelihood requires me to frequent. That is what has me scared....I'm not in control and I'm not hearing solid info as to how to gain control.

Zombies....I can also ward off zombies with crossbows, guns, and machetes. I know that you must brain one to effectively stop it.

Edited by C-bus

From Slashdot.

Pamela Engel writes that Americans need only look to Nigeria to calm their fears about an Ebola outbreak in the US. Nigeria is much closer to the West Africa outbreak than the US is, yet even after Ebola entered the country in the most terrifying way possible — via a visibly sick passenger on a commercial flight — officials successfully shut down the disease and prevented widespread transmission. If there are still no new cases on October 20, the World Health Organization will officially declare the country "Ebola-free." Here's how Nigeria did it.

The first person to bring Ebola to Nigeria was Patrick Sawyer, who left a hospital in Liberia against the wishes of the medical staff and flew to Nigeria. Once Sawyer arrived, it became obvious that he was ill when he passed out in the Lagos airport, and he was taken to a hospital in the densely packed city of 20 million. Once the country's first Ebola case was confirmed, Port Health Services in Nigeria started a process called contact tracing to limit the spread of the disease and created an emergency operations center to coordinate and oversee the national response. Health officials used a variety of resources, including phone records and flight manifests, to track down nearly 900 people who might have been exposed to the virus via Sawyer or the people he infected. As soon as people developed symptoms suggestive of Ebola, they were isolated in Ebola treatment facilities. Without waiting to see whether a "suspected" case tested positive, Nigeria's contact tracing team tracked down everyone who had had contact with that patient since the onset of symptoms making a staggering 18,500 face-to-face visits.

The sky is not falling after all. :)

Somebody wanted stats? Here's rough stats.

Currently one in 700,000 chance of infection world wide

beginning sometime in December, that jumps to one in 350,000 when infections double (if they do)

the next week it jumps to at least one in 233,000 based on same rate

again, the next week is 175,000 based on same rate

and so on, until it's either under control, or out of control

with the possibility of either rapidly increasing rates of infections,

or an end to the spread of infections or simply continue at the current rate

wait for December to see if predictions by UN WHO are correct,

to see if infections double and possibly go on an increased rate after that

then we'll know roughly what to expect

keep in mind that current method will be to quarantine many more people than those infected (or suspected)

which means by the end of the year chance of being quarantined might be like one in 1750 or even one in 350

also keep in mind this is all "worldwide" numbers, and in the USA it should be at least a thousand times lower

and Ebola has a low rate of spreading, roughly two more people for each infected on the average

The CDC could not contain the first case of Ebola that came to the United States and at least 2 nurses end up getting the disease as of now. Then they screw up and let one of them fly across the country 2 times while she was sick. Can you really trust them to be able to handle a real epidemic when it comes?

The 2 nurses were infected because the hospital hadn't put proper controls in place and the nurses were cleaning up puke and shit without the correct ppe. Really nothing to do with the cdc.

I call bullshit. Nurses know how to clean up puke and shit.

how many medical professionals does it take to get it through some peoples heads that a lot of medical professionals are the absolute worst when it comes to PPE and  precautionary measures.. some think that well I work in a hospital my immune system is stronger than outsiders.. worse yet some are just negligent .. I've been there seen it  I for one am a  glove/ppe handwashing Nazi.. and have been for all 13 years of my professional career that includes everything from the mundane  doctors office to the true front lines of surgery/ ED and EMS .. I've seen doctors come in with colds coughing and sneezing not wash there hands then go to every pt in the ED or a nurse that cleans up piss with a pair of gloves on then walks to the  station and types on the computers with the gloves on..  and yes a lot more egregious things as well..

on the flip I have seen many of agencies and hospitals underestimate the amount of ppe that's needed or  provided for certain care!

do not  think for a second that there are not nurses/medical staff out there that are any more safety oriented than your average mc donalds worker

• Upvote 1

The 2 nurses were infected because the hospital hadn't put proper controls in place and the nurses were cleaning up puke and shit without the correct ppe. Really nothing to do with the cdc.

I have to disagree.  The CDC fucked this one up.  They exist to deal with this shit.  Where was their onsite presence and oversight?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/opinion/vox-frieden-should-resign/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

-- This week Thomas Frieden, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, stepped up to the microphone and took responsibility for the worst mistake in Dallas' Ebola-stricken hospital: its utter lack of preparedness.

After insisting for months that any U.S. hospital could handle an Ebola case by following CDC guidelines, Frieden now wishes he had provided Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital with the robust CDC clinical support team it desperately needed to care for Thomas Eric Duncan -- the first of three people to be diagnosed with Ebola on American soil. 

They do.

Doesn't mean they did though.

I've no idea if they did it right or not, just know I see the nurses in the ER I work out of and nursing homes in my service area doing it wrong a lot.

I guess I was leaning more to the defense of the hospital. Union mentality blames the mean-old boss instead of their own lack of sense.

They're not 99% ready unless they've done it consistently in the same scenario.. They're people, not machines, regardless of training, there will be hiccups.

On a side note, 3m is out of lower end face masks due to this Ebola scare.

They're not 99% ready unless they've done it consistently in the same scenario.. They're people, not machines, regardless of training, there will be hiccups.

On a side note, 3m is out of lower end face masks due to this Ebola scare.

I guess I was leaning more to the defense of the hospital. Union mentality blames the mean-old boss instead of their own lack of sense.

Agreed on both

If I was the CDC driector, I would have swooped into Texas like the FBI and taken over the isolation protocol.  Then patted myself on the back in gratiutous, nationally televised press conferences for months.

Edited by Tpoppa