CDC Confirms Patient In Dallas Has The Ebola Virus

Strictly Street

My point being, if this is happening in a controlled & sterile environment, what happens if the general public gets it during flu season?

Fear. Panic. Chaos. Anarchy. Potentially. Most population doesn't pay enough attention to get past the fear part.

My point being, if this is happening in a controlled & sterile environment, what happens if the general public gets it during flu season?

well the environment for the health care workers is apparently not a safe one at the Dallas hospital. The CDC & texas presbyterian are playing catch up to make sure that no one else (healthcare worker wise) is going to contact it,  much less spread it. Besides, you think any patients are going to that hospital? hell no! That place is probably a ghost town. These are the sort of debacles that lead to hospitals closing or at the very least management getting fired.   

Some sources say that the employees were told not to fly and she did anyway. I have no idea if that's true or not. If so, shame on her.

Yea, that 2nd nurse....i have no idea what she was thinking. Obviously didnt think she had it before she traveled but she shouldn't have been traveling in the 1st place. 

well the environment for the health care workers is apparently not a safe one at the Dallas hospital. The CDC & texas presbyterian are playing catch up to make sure that no one else (healthcare worker wise) is going to contact it,  much less spread it. Besides, you think any patients are going to that hospital? hell no! That place is probably a ghost town. These are the sort of debacles that lead to hospitals closing or at the very least management getting fired. 

Yet, we are told over and over, that it is "VERY DIFFICULT to spread"

Yet, we are told over and over, that it is "VERY DIFFICULT to spread"

For the average person, it is not a big threat. The average person isn't drawing blood, starting IV's, accessing central lines collecting stool samples, inserting urinary catheters, suctioning breathing tubes on a confirmed ebola patient. These nurses were. Thats why the nurses have got it and the public has yet to (knock on wood). 

Edited by sturg

I haven't read all the thread but If the airborne vs non airborne discussion is still up let me help shed some clarification.

1st off im an ER nurse, medic and firefighter with a moderate specialty in disaster response (chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear)

Ebola is NOT an airborne disease.

Airborne diseases get in the air (as simply as breathing) and floats around in the ambient air. In the hospital the potential patient is put in a negative airflow room that sucks the air out, through a HEPA filter and expels it into the outside air. Airborne diseases, such as Tuberculosis, are relatively uncommon in the US. An average of only 49.8 cases of TB per year for 1,212,263 people in Franklin County and that shit spreads through the AIR!

Ebola is NOT an airborne disease.

However is it transmitted via contact. So if you are in direct contact with the body fluids (fun with feces or he sneezes in your face) OR have indirect contact ( Ebola McGee gets his body fluids on the door knob, you then touch the same door knob with your bare skin).

But even then bare skin is a really really good defense. As long as the skin is intact (no open cuts) and you keep your hands out of your openings (most commonly the ones on your face) and you wash your hands on the regular, you're going to be good to go.

Pretty much do the things your parents told you to do; get enough sleep, eat well, exercise, take your vitamins, keep your hands out of your face and wash them regularly.

Its only if you have a "compromised" immune system ( the young, old, and those with HIV, cancer etc) you need to take extra steps in your day to day life.

In regards to spreading Ebola think of it as you would the cold or flu. It's a virus (like the common cold) and is transmitted the same way the common cold is. The difference, of course, is what does to your body once you've caught it.

here's the simple facts on ebola from the CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

While I agree with you, Todd made the same point about 3 pages ago.

I hate telling Todd he's right, but a doctor from the Cleveland clinic was on the radio this afternoon basically saying the same thing he posted.

For the average person, it is not a big threat. The average person isn't drawing blood, starting IV's, accessing central lines collecting stool samples, inserting urinary catheters, suctioning breathing tubes on a confirmed ebola patient. These nurses were. Thats why the nurses have got it and the public has yet to (knock on wood). 

True.

Though, the average parent deals with bodily fluids on the regular.

• Upvote 1

The sky is falling,the sky is falling!!!

You guys are worse than an old ladies knitting circle.

While you folks are glued to your computers and t.v. worrying about Ebola,this weekend is looking great....I'm going for a ride.I'll bet that the odds of me dying on my bike this weekend is a lot higher than anyone on this forum getting Ebola.I guess I'm just a dare devil.

Of course it can be transmitted by droplets in the air. Sneezing. One reason why it's spreading so easily. I guess that's considered contact, and not airborne.

Or to be technical, airborne is transmission by inhaling what an infected person exhales. Example is two people in the same room. If this doc is saying that's an infection vector, it's news.

edit more news: the infected nurse that flew to Cleveland, was actually allowed to fly per CDC guidance rules. She had checked first before she went, to get permission, and was allowed to per CDC guidelines. The CDC did not know that when they made their press statement. She was under the limit of a 100.4 fever, so she could go. She had 99.5.

Edited by ReconRat

Of course it can be transmitted by droplets in the air. Sneezing. One reason why it's spreading so easily. I guess that's considered contact, and not airborne.

Or to be technical, airborne is transmission by inhaling what an infected person exhales. Example is two people in the same room. If this doc is saying that's an infection vector, it's news.

Time will tell. Once it hits the grade schools it's gonna get crazy.

A short first list of places in Ohio potentially exposed to the Ebola virus:

These places sent employees home that had been in contact and notified by the CDC or Ohio Health departments.

Cleveland, Ohio

Tallmadge, Ohio

Cleveland Clinic

MetroHealth System Cleveland

Cleveland airport

Kent State University

I am not prone to panic...not even a little.

But get ready for widespread panic in Cleveland and Akron.

I restocked my shtf stores. 7 weeks worth of high carb high protein food including plenty of canned pasta, rice and dry beans as well as plenty of canned veggies not including what I have canned out of the garden this year (I will not disclose that for fear of being labeled a Looney toon but I like having home grown veggies year round) 10 days worth of bottled water ( I have access to virtually bacteria free wells) and a couple cases of Sterno fuel. All for less than 55 clams.

While you folks are glued to your computers and t.v. worrying about Ebola,this weekend is looking great....I'm going for a ride.I'll bet that the odds of me dying on my bike this weekend is a lot higher than anyone on this forum getting Ebola.I guess I'm just a dare devil.

Just went on a little 60 mile jaunt through the mountains....and there's nothing looking bad in my future. 

Screenshot_2014-10-15-20-16-24_zpsrtbtpt

The sky is falling,the sky is falling!!!

You guys are worse than an old ladies knitting circle.

Wrong, my chances are pretty decent.

I work on Squad and ER, and will be on 4 Flights next week for work, Cbus-Detriot-Charlotte-Syracuse-Cbus. Then driving down to the annual Jack Daniels BBQ invitational in Lynchburg that draws people from around the globe Saturday then to Nashville Sat night to get hammered and infamous. Get on my level daredevil

I work on Squad and ER, and will be on 4 Flights next week for work, Cbus-Detriot-Charlotte-Syracuse-Cbus. Then driving down to the annual Jack Daniels BBQ invitational in Lynchburg that draws people from around the globe Saturday then to Nashville Sat night to get hammered and infamous. Get on my level daredevil

Wrong...your chances are pretty negligible.What,maybe .000000001 chance of contracting Ebola?You have a much better chance of being killed by a texting driver on the way to the airport.

Of course if they move the Jack Daniels shindig to Liberia your chances might go up to my chances of being hit by a left turning driver.

Any statisticians out there?

youre gonna get the 'bolz and spread it to people by double dipping sauce and its going to spread world wide and we're all going to fucking die

Btw...I work as industrial electrician...currently at a cryo plant over near Woodsfield.If you walk through the parking lot you'll see plates from at least 15 states.There are people there from all over,including a few from Africa.

For either work or play I've been to all the lower 48 states and around 10 countries.

Every work day I'm around voltages from 480 to 13800 volts,2-3000 amps,lifting stuff up to 10,000 lbs and very high psi's.

So please excuse me if I'm not impressed with your itinerary or job hazards Mr My Level.