CDC Confirms Patient In Dallas Has The Ebola Virus

Strictly Street

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Officials with the Centers for Disease Control have confirmed that a person in Dallas definitely has the Ebola virus. Tuesday’s official determination makes the patient, at Texas Healthicon1.png Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, the first diagnosed Ebola case in the United States.

Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Texas Department of State Health Services, Presbyterian Hospital and Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) all participated in an afternoon press conference. CDC Director Thomas Frieden related the information that the individual who tested positive had traveled to Liberia. The person left Liberia on September 19 and arrived in the United States on September 20 with no virus symptoms. Frieden said it was four or five days later that the patient, who is believed to be male, began developing symptoms and was ultimately admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas on Sunday, September 28.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/cdc-confirms-patient-in-dallas-has-the-ebola-virus/

The article isn't real clear on who this person is. Are they from Texas or just in Texas when they got sick.

Foreign national or US citizen? Wonder why they were in Liberia? Perhaps a Liberian on a student visa?

Business? A Missionary? The article is vague on the details of the person themselves

Scary stuff.

Makes you wonder about all the other diseases suddenly running around. The South American virus attacking kids and the new infection that is being likened to Polio. The wave of people coming over the southern border without any health screenings is worrisome when news like this comes out.

Any medical people out there who can make an informed guess as to what is going on here?

Edited by Strictly Street

I dunno, but there's a large part of me that is convinced that TSHTF WILL happen in our lifetimes... This is one sure plausible way.  If he was contagious in the week he was here before showing symptoms, he could've infected hundreds of people.

And lots of people form my work and my wife's work are out sick :p

ebola isnt airborne and isnt very easy to catch...i really doubt this guy infected hundreds of other people.

"Ebola is spread through direct contact with the body fluids of actively infected individuals. Indirect transmission is also possible by means of contact with an object (fomite) that has been soiled by the body fluids of an infected individual."

Edited by Steve Butters

My 2-year this month gets flagged by TSA for the special pat-down and explosives swab, yet it's somehow cool for motherfuckers from Liberia to just waltz on in. 

Being as this is the richest, freest, and best-run country in human history, I would say we command a bit of a buyers-market when it comes to who we let in our borders. In an environment where we are going to limit immigration to some number, Is it such a crazy thought to prioritize people who have a bit more to contribute? 

ebola isnt airborne and isnt very easy to catch...i really doubt this guy infected hundreds of other people.

"Ebola is spread through direct contact with the body fluids of actively infected individuals. Indirect transmission is also possible by means of contact with an object (fomite) that has been soiled by the body fluids of an infected individual."

Unless... UNLESS...

IT MUTATED!!!!

My 2-year this month gets flagged by TSA for the special pat-down and explosives swab, yet it's somehow cool for motherfuckers from Liberia to just waltz on in. 

Being as this is the richest, freest, and best-run country in human history, I would say we command a bit of a buyers-market when it comes to who we let in our borders. In an environment where we are going to limit immigration to some number, Is it such a crazy thought to prioritize people who have a bit more to contribute? 

There are a lot of people who would disagree with you that this is the "best-run" country in the world :)  As for letting some people in but not others....  Your ancenstors PROOOOBABLY came over here because they were undesirables in another country.  But maybe not, it's true that I don't know you or your family history... But I DO know elitism when I hear it, and the beginnings of human rights violations (basically, your argument is that some people have less to offer, so they're less important, so they shouldn't be let in?).

^^I was waiting for the snark on that best-run comment. heh.

Im honestly all for pretty open immigration policies in the US. I think this country could accommodate about a billion people, and we'd be all the more well off for it.

But the current system prioritizes immigration from the 3rd world at the expense of the 1st world, in a big way. If we've chosen we're going to limit immigrants to X-number per year, which btw I believe is way too small, let's at least get a better mix.

That digression aside-- can we please keep out those coming from an active epidemic zone, as well as those who want to destroy western civilization (aka a religion not to be named here.)

That digression aside-- can we please keep out those coming from an active epidemic zone, as well as those who want to destroy western civilization (aka a religion not to be named here.)

Epidemic zone, sure, I'm behind that (or at least a quarantine).  As for the religion... those are extremists, not the vast majority of the religion :p  Don't swallow what the media force-feeds you.

Don't want Ebola?

1) don't touch/ingeste feces, vomit, urine, semen, saliva, vaginal discharge/fluid of someone infected with Ebola.

It is actually really easy to not catch.

You're welcome

So sex IS going to kill us all...

Sneeze and the particles go airborne for up to 15 ft.  I would imagine that applies too.

No it doesn't. Ebola is not contracted thru airborn transfer. Physical contact with infected substance. Period.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

Yes. That is physical contact with substance. Thats not an airborn transfer.