New member - Parkersburg,W.V.

lenny1165

Hey Lenny / Jack   -   Welcome to the forum, neighbor!  I live in Wildwood on south-side.

Yes, we'll have to go for some rides. However, I have a huge deadline for the end of the month so my evenings and weekends won't allow for anything more than a quick spin. After October I'll have time and would love to go on some medium/longer rides, but it will be November then. So I'm hoping for an indian summer.

My next door neighbor rides and is a local so he's shown me some great roads since I got back into riding last fall.

I too like 555 and I've run the southern part many times. I usually run south to north. I'll have to go the other direction more often. I also like 21 in WV from Mineral Wells to to Ripley or a bit farther to Kenna, then, 34 (I think) to Fairfield. Twisties PLUS views and the elevation changes you get on mountains. Well, what we call mountains here in the east.

I highly recommend the Epic ride. The fall version was great the other week. It was very well run. The three groups ran safely and the conversation, before and after was great.

So. how about we try to get together in the first weekend in Nov? I'll check if Bill, my neighbor, might be able to go too.

Chris 

Shoop id be game for a ride the first weekend of Nov.  Im scheduled off that weekend and provided the weather allows maybe we can get something put together.

Lenny,

My neighbor thinks he'll be available that weekend, 11/1. So now if the weather shapes up we'll have at least three.

I feel like we've been paying ahead to get good weather that weekend. Sure has been rainy the past few weeks.

Chris

Shoop, sounds like a plan to me. That would be great if your buddy can go, the more the merrier. I was wondering if you had any preference on Saturday or Sunday. So far either day will work for me, and if you had a route in mind. I'm open for anything

The route and the length will have to depend on the weather that day.

I was going to ask my neighbor, Bill, to suggest something for the route. But both of you (Lenny & Justin) are also from 'round here so I'm sure we'd be open to your suggestions.

Bill has been talking about going out 47 to Weston then either north or south. He commented that the last time he went that way and north he found a lot of trucks on the road hauling water for the fracking sites. Anyway, if north, then 19 to Shinnston, then 20 to New Martinsville. If time & weather permits we'd cross the river to get to 526 to 26 to get back to Marietta. Google maps says that would be 7 hrs and 250 miles which is a pretty long day. More to the south and shorter would be 47 to Glennville, then 33 to Ripley, then 21 back to PKB, which would be a bit over 4 hrs and 170 miles. 

Another of Bill's favorites is to go down 21 to Kenna then 34 to Fairview to stop at McD. That's a bit over 2 hrs and 75 miles to get there. Rt 34 is really twisty and is the treat at the end of that leg. Return options are to just backtrack  (4 hrs and 150 miles), or to take the river scenic, flatter ride on 60 to Point Pleasant then 2 to Ravenswood, then 68 back to PKB, about 30 minutes and 20 miles less than the backtrack.

We should probably start a new thread in the Rides/Routes part of the forum.

The route and the length will have to depend on the weather that day.

I was going to ask my neighbor, Bill, to suggest something for the route. But both of you (Lenny & Justin) are also from 'round here so I'm sure we'd be open to your suggestions.

Bill has been talking about going out 47 to Weston then either north or south. He commented that the last time he went that way and north he found a lot of trucks on the road hauling water for the fracking sites. Anyway, if north, then 19 to Shinnston, then 20 to New Martinsville. If time & weather permits we'd cross the river to get to 526 to 26 to get back to Marietta. Google maps says that would be 7 hrs and 250 miles which is a pretty long day. More to the south and shorter would be 47 to Glennville, then 33 to Ripley, then 21 back to PKB, which would be a bit over 4 hrs and 170 miles. 

Another of Bill's favorites is to go down 21 to Kenna then 34 to Fairview to stop at McD. That's a bit over 2 hrs and 75 miles to get there. Rt 34 is really twisty and is the treat at the end of that leg. Return options are to just backtrack  (4 hrs and 150 miles), or to take the river scenic, flatter ride on 60 to Point Pleasant then 2 to Ravenswood, then 68 back to PKB, about 30 minutes and 20 miles less than the backtrack.

We should probably start a new thread in the Rides/Routes part of the forum.

I rode out 47, then over to Glenville and came back on rt 5. It was really nice, not much traffic either. There were a couple places with a construction flagger patching roads. I have also went past Weston and into Seneca Rocks, over to Clarksburg and back rt 50, right at 400 miles. You really gotta keep a decent pace on that one to not run out of daylight.

• 2 weeks later...

Jenny / Justin,

I talked with my neighbor Bill today. He's free for Saturday 11/1, Sunday is a possibility. We talked about routes, aiming for a reasonably long one with different return options. The likely route would be US-21 to Charleston then 60 to Hawks Nest down near Gauley River, about 10 miles from the New River bridge.

http://goo.gl/maps/qvYxW

The return shown on the map is 16 to 119 to 14 back to Mineral Wells. 235 miles and about 6.5 hours.

Once there, if we don't do too much sight seeing, we can take a longer loop and can take 19 to Sutton then back on either 5 or 47.

We'd want to meet up between 10 or 11, probably at the Pifer's BP, or across the street at the GoMart - for an easier rt hand turn. I think the pace will be near the speed limit with some sections a bit fast. I'll be the slow one because I was out of riding for 25 years. Been back a year now. Bill likes the twisties and rides a Honda ST1100.

Let me know if this sounds good or you prefer a different or shorter route.

Chris

Edited by Shoop

Justin, I'm not trying to talk you out of going along, but the weather forecast for Saturday is for clear and cold, high of 49.

Glad you had good weather though for your trip to the gap.

Please let me know if you ARE going, and we'll talk details.

I am going a longish ride somewhere even if it's 40. I've been captive to this project at work for the past month and I need to get out! 

Chris, I'm still in for Saturday's ride. I can take off anytime you guys want, but my day will have to end earlier than originally planned due to a Halloween event for the kids that evening. I'm looking at being home around 3 or 4. I just figured on tagging along then breaking off whatever time I need to and head home. As far as routes I'm game for anything, the loop you posted looked good to me.

Lenny - We'll have to play it by ear and see what the weather/temperature does.  

Today is my big deadline. I'll start doing the warm weather dance right after I put this thing in the mail!

Lenny - I'm finally finished with with the project for work. But the weather is NOT looking good for the weekend.

I'm going to take off tomorrow, Friday morning to  ride before the rain gets here. If you just happen to be off. let me know. I'm going to check in at work then go somewhere.

Saturday if it dries off and isn't too cold maybe we could take a sort spin, maybe on 26 towards Woodsfield. Let's see what the weather brings.

Shoop, I'm out for Saturday, I signed up for overtime Friday and Saturday nite after looking at the forecast. Sunday looks to be the better of the two days for weather so far. If you guys go out Sunday let me know, id be game for a ride that afternoon.

Well Lenny, the season for longer rides might be over. :cold:

Bill, my neighbor will not want to go tomorrow, Sunday. I'm going to take at least a short ride, probably at about 1 or 2.

I'll check here to see if you want to meet up.

Chris