Navy Seal lied to police about aspects of shooting

redkow97

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-summit/bath-twp-police-former-navy-seal-chris-heben-lied-about-getting-shot-at-west-market-plaza

For those who may not have heard about this when it was breaking news, this guy claimed to have been shot in a parking lot, then drove after his attackers.

I heard him interviewed on the radio locally multiple times.  Now he's being charged with falsification and obstructing official business, because they're saying things didn't go down the way he claims.

What has not been mentioned by the media yet is what the police claim actually happened.  It seems they don't believe he was in the location claimed, but I can't tell if they're implying that he negligently shot himself, or if it was some kind of drug deal gone bad, or some other scenario.  Regardless, I am pleased they charged this "hero" if he's hindering their investigation and/or wasting their time by lying to the police.

Edited by redkow97

Refusing to talk to the police would have made him a suspect much sooner.

That's the shitty thing about the law. If you are innocent and talk, your words get twisted. If you're innocent and ask for a lawyer, you an instant suspect.

I know that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Just frustrates the hell out of me.

Edited by Cdubyah

exactly. there is nothing to be gained by talking. 

not true.  Speaking early allows the police to conduct their investigation more effectively in the hours immediately following the crime.  If you're actively trying to cover the truth, then sure, keep your mouth shut, but if you've actually been victimized and want the perpetrator caught, talking can help.

As for lawyering up, go ahead - but you're paying for it.  You are not entitled to court-appointed counsel until after charges have been filed.  You have the right to have an attorney present while you are questioned, not to have one provided for you.

If you choose not to speak to police, you may be viewed as a suspect, and thus detained much longer than otherwise necessary.  I never fault anyone for invoking their rights, but sometimes they're only screwing themselves. 

I'm just pointing out the need for a balance.

I understand and acknowledge that it's unwise to trust police completely and without question, but I think you have to also weigh that distrust against the potential consequences of not cooperating.  Police need information to do their jobs.  They get frustrated when that information is withheld.  I'm not suggesting that people incriminate themselves, I'm suggesting that they avoid illegal activity, and thus not have as many reasons to be concerned about speaking truthfully to law enforcement.

This bozo would have been better off keeping his mouth shut.  Instead he fabricated a story that paints himself as a hero.  He's been charged with falsification and obstruction, NOT the underlying offense(s) he was trying to cover up.  At least not yet.  Simply shutting up might have made him a suspect, but if the police could prove what happened, I doubt they'd only be charging him for the lies.

• Upvote 1