If you had $15k and needed a newer vehicle...

max power

If youre going to talk Tacoma vs Frontier, its Tacoma all day long.  The Tacoma is simply the better truck and is most likely going to be more reliable in the long run.  I love Nissan but their build quality is highly suspect.

I almost bought a Tacoma when I bought my Camry (didnt need the hauling capability and the MPG of the Cam put it over the top) and posted for years on a Toyota forum (Toyota Nation), so Im well aware that the Tacomas arent perfect but theyre still the best game in town.  I know that they used to have some issues with the 6-speed on the X-Runner, not sure if they still do though or if its the same tranny they use in the current Tacoma.

personally, for something that is under 15000, has AWD and has room to haul shit, I would go for something like a w211 wagon. but if your wife is looking at lifted pickups, it's probably not her style. 

QMC54nM.jpg

Grand cherokee wouldn't be bad if it's dirty cheap.

A buddy of mine has a real clean square back Cherokee that I might grab for a temporary solution.

But, they get shit mileage.

Edited by max power

These always appealed to me.

The Buick Rendezvous and its corporate cousin the Pontiac Aztek were GM's entry into the cross over SUV segment. As a four-door crossover with a front engine and four-wheel drive, the Rendezvous featured a four-speed automatic transmission with a V-6 engine. The SUV used the same platform as GM's short version minivan, Pontiac Montana, Buick Terraza, Chevrolet Venture, Chevrolet Uplander, and Saturn Relay.

The Rendezvous boasted the ability to carry seven passengers when equipped with a third-row bench, a class-leading feature that Buick brought to market before its competitors.

The Rendezvous is able to carry within its interior the proverbial 4'x 8' sheet of plywood.

I didn't have time to read the entire thread, in case they were mentioned already.  They were made thru '07.

They all didn't come with AWD, so you may need to search a little for one.

Read more:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Rendezvous

Many on this page:  http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Buick-Rendezvous-Columbus-d278_L26643#resultsPage=1

These always appealed to me.

The Buick Rendezvous and its corporate cousin the Pontiac Aztek were GM's entry into the cross over SUV segment. As a four-door crossover with a front engine and four-wheel drive, the Rendezvous featured a four-speed automatic transmission with a V-6 engine. The SUV used the same platform as GM's short version minivan, Pontiac Montana, Buick Terraza, Chevrolet Venture, Chevrolet Uplander, and Saturn Relay.

The Rendezvous boasted the ability to carry seven passengers when equipped with a third-row bench, a class-leading feature that Buick brought to market before its competitors.

The Rendezvous is able to carry within its interior the proverbial 4'x 8' sheet of plywood.

I didn't have time to read the entire thread, in case they were mentioned already.  They were made thru '07.

They all didn't come with AWD, so you may need to search a little for one.

Read more:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Rendezvous

Many on this page:  http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Buick-Rendezvous-Columbus-d278_L26643#resultsPage=1

Bad idea.  And I'm a GM guy!

Please tell me the Aztec and Rende did not actually appeal to you, please. Those are by far 2 of the most hideous cars ever put on the road with the Aztec fighting for #1.

^ this. I might as well pull up in the driveway with a gremlin. The result would be the same, divorce.

Please tell me the Aztec and Rende did not actually appeal to you, please.  Those are by far 2 of the most hideous cars ever put on the road with the Aztec fighting for #1. 

^ this. I might as well pull up in the driveway with a gremlin. The result would be the same, divorce.

The Aztec did not.  I thought it was butt ugly.  The Rendevous was another animal.

I thought it could be comfortable, good for hauling people and things, and go well

on slippery roads if it had AWD.  I test drove one once and didn't have a problem

with it.

What was really wrong with them, because I haven't read up on them?

I'm in a similar situation but have decided to look at Wranglers even though they're not practical and can't tow worth a shit.  I'm also looking to buy an older RV which is why I want a Wrangler for a toad.   

My other idea is to finally a house but that means I'm gonna have to settle down and my nomadic genes don't like that idea.  

At first, it had to be an actual truck, but she has soft and her stance on that issue.

Has to be four-wheel-drive though.

And has to get over 20 miles per gallon, which is why full-size trucks are out.

You can preach to me all day about full-size trucks getting more than 20 miles per gallon and I don't care. It's a lie.

Besides, she's been driving the suburban for the last two weeks and has decided she does not want a full-size truck.

I prefer it to be a manual as I have a tendency to keep my vehicles for a very long time and I'm not interested in replacing a $2500 transmission. If you know how to drive a manual, you know that four-wheel-drive is much easier to control with a manual transmission.

My '12 F-150 4x4 indicates 15.8 mpg and has for over 68k miles.  My '09 2500 Ram 4x4 which was sold last week averaged about 12 mpg with the Hemi.  

Ridgeline

drives like a car, 4 door, gets 20mpg, awd, has a bed, has a storage compartment under the bed, roomy back seat area, and can be had for a decent price.

I'm a big fan of my Pilot....same vehicle essentially. I get 22 mpg pretty consistently. Better on the highway. Great in snow.

Honestly, I've always wondered what the MPG in a Ridgeline is, now I have a general idea.  At first I thought they were the sheet, then just never was around them enough to know if they were or not.  See a ton of them and I imagine they run forever too?

That might be an option for you.

I didn't think a Ridgeline or Pilot would be possible at $15k.

They're both good vehicles, but they aren't "trucks" unless you've never driven a vehicle with a real truck chassis...  That said, they ride a lot better because of it.