What have you done for your motorcycle lately?

Josh1234

15000 mile service on the Monster and 1098.  New tires on the trailer. New tires on both bikes. bought my husband fancy frame plugs for father's day.  Now installing new chain, sprockets and carrier on the Monster.  Forks on both bikes are leaking AGAIN.  So we need to figure out why that keeps happening.  Both were done by GMD Computrak Atlanta and I even had him reinspect my forks for some kind of damage and he doesn't see anything so I'm not sure what is going on there. 

Do you have any pranksters around? 

My boss and I a couple years ago drove someone to their wits end. He rebuilt his forks and every other week we would put a couple of drops of fork oil on the forks and on the ground underneath them. He changed out his seals four times that summer. Evil...yes. Hilarious since half the office was aware...yes. 

I've considered a Shorai but NEO Ducati doesn't recommend them for the 1098s. They've seen a lot of failures and/or poor lifespans on them.  Might have to try in the Monster next time around.

Hmmm. I used the 12 cell Shorai. I know their website usually says that the 8 cell will work but I know in my experience it wears out just as fast as the standard lead acids. I do know that they don't like cold. If the temp is below 55F I just leave the lights on for a couple of minutes in the morning to warm the battery up with the current flow. 

If it is a heat issue, the header from my rear cylinder is about six inches away from the battery box. No problems yet. I mainly did it because I don't want to have to replace the sprag clutch due to a weak battery.

Edited by blueskeyes

Do you have any pranksters around? 

My boss and I a couple years ago drove someone to their wits end. He rebuilt his forks and every other week we would put a couple of drops of fork oil on the forks and on the ground underneath them. He changed out his seals four times that summer. Evil...yes. Hilarious since half the office was aware...yes. 

Ha! That would be cruel!  No, both bikes were clean before our WV trip and by the end you could see streaks of fork oil on the plastic and wheels.  We use strapless stands so it's not a trailer issue and the forks have been set up for our individual weight etc..  I don't know if we're just picking up some road debris or getting bad seals. 

Welded up a trailer (ok, it wasn't for me - but for a bud's HD) that came out pretty good.

Udder than that - nada.

10_zpsaf73dc60.jpg

1_zpsba2a83e4.jpg

6_zps3f5cda19.jpg

I wanna put fenders on it but my bud likes the "hot rod" look of no fenders.

Looks nice. What size and wall is the tubing? Also what axle is that?

Our 2005 Monster still has the original Yuasa, at 33k+ miles. My 2008 MTS also, with 20k miles.

Yeah. We think it's pretty odd as well. They checked the charging system and the bikes are always on the tenders when not ridden so we've got a battery gremlin apparently. New battery tenders too.  Between the two of us, we've owned over 50 bikes and we've replaced more batteries on the Ducs than we did on all the other bikes combined. In fact, I think prior to these bikes, we've maybe changed batteries 3x in 20+ years of riding.  It's very strange. 

Just wired up a new 3phase Regulator to my Triumph, rewiring battery terminals and replacing main lighting relay. All of this was because of a failing regulator that caused my fuse box to set fire to itself. Oh and I got a Yuasa Battery as well.

Looks nice. What size and wall is the tubing? Also what axle is that?

A grinder makes me look like a good welder.

It's  2 X 2 -  .120" wall which is  a bit overkill,but it;s what the guy wanted me to use. Welds easier with no holes, too. Have used .065" wall before on trailers and have had no issues.

The axle is off of an old Ford car (thus the Ford Blue paint). It's cast steel and fairly narrow so I'd guess it's from a Model A or T. But I don't know shit about cars so I'm open to someone correcting me.

Edited by Earache

Nothing on the big bike but i did work on the little one... New tires, new bars, new shifter lever, new brake lever and perch. new front and rear sprockets, new brake pads and new chain adjusters.

Nothing on the big bike but i did work on the little one... New tires, new bars, new shifter lever, new brake lever and perch. new front and rear sprockets, new brake pads and new chain adjusters.

Damn.. you will probably be turning some 58's this weekend!!! Go get em!

• Upvote 1

Where are you having the keys cut and if you don't mind me asking, how much?

I'll try and have them cut at the local hardware store... Last time I did this (a few years ago, for my other yzf600) I did the same thing... Spend $5-$10 on 2x keys from hong kong, via eBay, and took them to Dunn Hardware to have them cut.  I don't even think he charged me for some reason, though... Maybe because he couldn't guarantee they'd work?  

I plan to take along my work's bathroom key and have that copied, as well, that way I'm at least buying SOMEthing.  I'll let you know how it goes & if I have problems.  

Damn.. you will probably be turning some 58's this weekend!!! Go get em!

Been running a stock 100 set up (gearing and all) with the smaller Perelli tires all year...Lost my points lead last race and figured it was time to step up! Went with the new BT45's in a 110 with the V rating. Going to have to figure out what pressure they like to be ran at but looking forward too this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new battery and put it in before my track day a week ago.  It had been sounding kind of week when starting and the bike stalled a few times during random riding on me.  Made me a little bit nervous.  It believe it was the original battery.  No problems since.