2014 MotoGP @ IMS

Hailwood

Another year of MotoGP at Indianapolis is on the books, and it was a great weekend of racing.  I also ran into Dgasser and his wife - was awesome to see you guys!

The new track surface and corner modifications were really well received by the riders, and you could tell by watching them that they were more relaxed, and were enjoying riding much more than in previous years.  As a result, lap times were down and the racing was great in all 3 classes.  The other bonus is I felt like the corner changes made for some better photographic angles, so I moved through most of my usual spots and was pretty happy with the results.

It's been interesting watching Rossi's style evolve this year.  He's really getting off the bike more than he did previously:
IMG_6347-XL.jpg

Colin had some great special leathers for the Indy race:
IMG_6296-XL.jpg

Trying something different with Dani:
IMG_6370-XL.jpg

Loved the intensity of Cal's look:
IMG_6595b-XL.jpg

Indy skyline courtesy of Mr. Marquez:
IMG_6727a-XL.jpg

Lorenzo looked much better than in past years:
IMG_6755-XL.jpg

Not a good day in qualifying for Bradley Smith.  Fortunately he was not injured:
IMG_6607-XL.jpg

Downtown was great as usual, and getting bigger every year.  There were so many Groms running around that I now desperately want one.
IMG_6220-XL.jpg

Really sad to see Colin go, but I'm glad that he's able to leave a very successful career and spend time with his family:
IMG_6335-XL.jpg

Basically superman:
IMG_6592-XL.jpg

I'm still working through the majority of the shots, but the rest will be here

• Upvote 4

Great Photography!!!  You do good work.  Thanks for sharing as usual.  I really want to go out there to catch a GP race.  It looked like there were a lot of seats not filled from TV angles.  Of course the power outage took about 10 laps away from the TV coverage and the audio never came back after that either.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys!

The crowd was as good or better than I've seen at the GP so far. The problem with Indy is that since it was designed to hold 300 ~ 400,000 people for the 500 a healthy motorcycle crowd of ~75,000 doesn't come close to filling it up. Couple that with the fact that the infield is really the best place to watch, and the stands can look empty.

It's definitely worth the trip to check out, and the general admission tickets are really reasonable.

yeah, I also need to make it to a GP weekend before Indianapolis is off the schedule (which I actually thought was next year).

I am almost always on vacation the second weekend in August though, so that seems to overlap with the race a lot.

yeah, I also need to make it to a GP weekend before Indianapolis is off the schedule (which I actually thought was next year).

I am almost always on vacation the second weekend in August though, so that seems to overlap with the race a lot.

They announced that the contract has been renewed for another 2 years, so hopefully you'll get your chance.  I wouldn't wait too long though - I always wanted to watch the race at Laguna but kept putting it off and now I might not get another chance.

Awesome shots man! I'm hoping to make it out there next year. Always seems like I have something going on that weekend and can't make it though.

You definitely should go! I went this year for the races and got autographs from Nicky, Colin, Iannone, Crutchlow and Dovi on my Indy hat.

Also had some fun! See below :D

Ducgals2_zps356bfd26.jpg

Edited by SJC1000rr
  • Upvote 1

I would bet Laguna will stay on the schedule, but they won't keep 3 American rounds...  Maybe alternate years between Indianapolis and Laguna?

COTA is going to be a mainstay though, unless attendance sucks.  The track is just too awesome...

Freaking Jeremy Burgess walked right past me in street clothes right after the race, seriously looked like he had just picked up some stuff from the gift shop (a little less preoccupied this year i guess)...I tried to chase him down for the photo/autograph...but he was by me before i could without looking like a total a-hole.

Oh well, was a great time, my first GP in person - those bikes sound like they're tearing a hole in the sky - and it's fucking awesome.