Skully Helmet

Tonyblaze

I ride to escape those things. But it's pretty cool.

I'm a sucker for technology and gadgets, but yeah, I think part of why I enjoy riding so much is that I can't even so much as look at my watch.  Whatever time it is, it is.  Whatever e-mails I'm getting... They'll just have to wait.  Nothing exists but the ride :)

• Upvote 1

Pretty cool helmet but not for $1400.  Instead, Id buy an Arai for $900 and spend the other $500 on beer.

You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper.  Except wait until the Arai is on sale and buy more beer.

Edited by DAC

A corner map display would be pretty nifty. I like the GPS part. The shifting tint face shield is pretty cool too. If only it was a tri-mode, tinted, clear, and yellow. That's something I wouldn't mind having. Other than that the speed display is the only other thing I would deem useful. It might save me from a few go fast certificates.

Honestly it's a cool idea but I'm not sure if I see the practicality in it. Or what about the unknown health risks? I'm not sure how I feel about having a powered battery radiating molecules within six inches of my brain for extended periods of time. Not to mention the constant flux of waves of information going to and from the helmet. Long term usage could yield long term damage that you wouldn't even know about for for possibly decades to come. Not trying to be paranoid or anything. Just kind of makes you wonder..

And what happens if you drop the damn thing? I bet the first time it makes ground contact you immediately gain a $1400 paperweight.

That being said. If I had a spare $1400 laying in my wallet I'd pick one up in a jiffy.

Personally I think it should have been set up as a Bluetooth device and ran via application rather than being a standalone device. That just makes more sense to me. Google should be coming out with google glass equipped visors soon anyways. Efficiently rendering this product obsolete. Cool idea though. But it's not ready. Just a stepping stone.

ANyone who buys this site unseen is either a fool, or a fool with money to burn.

Beta test? Yeah, how about 'marketing ploy'? No reviews about the helmet from ANY of the supposed beta testers. And after the "beta" is up, they announce pre orders starting 6 days later. A WHOLE SIX DAYS. Annnnnd the product isn't going to be delivered until almost a year later? Ummm, no thanks. Cool tech..great idea...but I'm not buying it for one minute that there was a proper beta in place.

I'll enjoy my Boxer v8, please and thank you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Personally I think it should have been set up as a Bluetooth device and ran via application rather than being a standalone device. .

It does have an app... To control the camera and other things. It's on their website. Android and iOS

ANyone who buys this site unseen is either a fool, or a fool with money to burn.

Beta test? Yeah, how about 'marketing ploy'? No reviews about the helmet from ANY of the supposed beta testers. And after the "beta" is up, they announce pre orders starting 6 days later. A WHOLE SIX DAYS. Annnnnd the product isn't going to be delivered until almost a year later? Ummm, no thanks. Cool tech..great idea...but I'm not buying it for one minute that there was a proper beta in place.

Completely and utterly agree. Awesome idea, no REAL info about it or how well it works. I'd wait till v2.0.

Agree.  Theres sooooo many red flags on that one.  If the helmet really is the real deal, you'll still be able to buy one in 5 years and for probably half as much money, not to mention they will probably have a 2nd gen version that is twice as good.

Edited by Bakemono

In revzilla's article they said it was built using an existing DOT approved shell that is built by a manufacturer that builds for many.

That's a huge red flag for me.

It means icon (WPS) or speed and strength (tucker rocky) quality shell with bolted on electronics.

If I'm paying anywhere near $1000.00 for a helmet, I want the same quality I get with my arai corsair v. Fitment is my most major concern, and when paying that price, it better be down right luxurious to wear the helmet.

In saying all that, the tinted visor is cool as hell. But why the hype on it? Auto dark welding helmets have been that way for years, no button necessary.

Would auto dark visors be dorky like transition lens glasses?

• Upvote 1