yoshi slip-on for cbr600, good?

mcrenzo

I want to upgrade my exhaust and I’m thinking of getting the Yoshimura RS5 slip-on at http://4wheelonline.com since the price is within my budget. Just wondering if Yoshi is really a good exhaust. Or is there a better one that doesn’t cost too much. I heard that Akrapovic is a good choice but it has a deep tone. Is this true?  Thanks.

Akro is deeper yes. Yoshi is good too. If you are just doing a slip on you won't gain anything but a diff sound. If it's gains you are wanting you'll need to add a filter and power commander then get it tuned by DynoBrian. The slip on is a good start though.

As noted by everyone else, a slip on will only change the tone of the exhaust. If you're looking to dive deeper into things, don't get a power commander....get a bazzaz Z-Fi. I've worked with Brian when I raced my 600rr and he enjoyed the bazzaz much more since it controls all 8 injectors. I had a PC3, and sold it soon after for the bazzaz. An aftermarket air filter won't gain much vs stock on a street level either. A race filter may gain a minor amount, but it's not worth the risk of allowing more particles into the engine.

As for exhaust brands, here are my suggestions:

Leo Vince

Arrow

Akro

As noted by everyone else, a slip on will only change the tone of the exhaust. If you're looking to dive deeper into things, don't get a power commander....get a bazzaz Z-Fi. I've worked with Brian when I raced my 600rr and he enjoyed the bazzaz much more since it controls all 8 injectors. I had a PC3, and sold it soon after for the bazzaz. An aftermarket air filter won't gain much vs stock on a street level either. A race filter may gain a minor amount, but it's not worth the risk of allowing more particles into the engine.

As for exhaust brands, here are my suggestions:

Leo Vince

Arrow

Akro

All of this I agree with. And I run the Leo Vince on my 1000rr street bike.

I have the Akro on my GSXR600 track bike.

My comment on gains wasn't to mean you'll see huge gains from a filter, but that to see any real gains from an exhaust it's needs to be a full system with filter and fuel management, not just a slip on.

I suggested Power Commander because he said he was on a budget and those can be picked up for 150.

I run the PC on my RR as it's street and just exhaust and filter with smog removal.

I put Bazzaz on the GSXR because it's track and Bazzaz has QS and TC all in one box.

Brian tunes all mine too, he likes Bazzaz because he's anal & picky lol. You do get control of all 8 with Bazzaz and PC now has an add on box that gives control of all 8 also but in reality you don't need control of the secondary injectors unless you have a highly modded motor or are a perfectionist like Brian lol. But I guess that's why I only let him touch my tunes lol

I had a full Arata titanium system on my 600RR.  The only difference mechanically between yours and mine would be the fuel injection changed mildly in 2005.  Anyway, I thought it sounded good, but the bigger deal was that the titanium weighed a TON less than the stock setup.

only if they're cheap or if they came with the bike.  otherwise, not worth it unless you're using it to shed some weight on a race bike and to gain a few horsies to keep up with the triumphs and R6's on the track.  675 is bestseventyfive

• 2 weeks later...

I had a yoshi rs-3 on my old ex500. That thing purred like a kitten. Wasn't loud but it definitely wasn't quiet. Very nice full warm tone to it. I liked it. Never heard an rs-3 on a 4 banger though so I can't really comment there. Honestly I feel like you'd be happy with just about any slip on that isn't complete shit as long as a difference in sound is all your going for.