Time to upgrade helmet. Need "oval" or "long oval" - what to look at?

Phreon

I have a long oval shaped head also. I really like my Arai Profile. It is discontinued (replaced by the Signet-Q) but you can still find them and in the ballpark of $300. The hard part would be finding one to try on before you buy.

Dre

Recently bought a Bell rs-1 on clearance @ motorcyclecloseouts.com with an extra shield for $189 tyd.

Very happy with the helmet in all aspects. I feel that quality, fit, finish, comfort, etc is comparable with other helmets that I have owned by shoei(rf 1100)(x11),shark (rsr2) and arai (rx7).

Ventilation with rs-1 is noticeably better than any of the above helmets.

If you don't need a true long oval, I would give the bell rs-1 a consideration. Especially if money is an issue and you can find your size on closeouts

Sent from my DROID RAZR

HJC rpha-10, not sure if it's an oval but it fits me like a glove and not super expensive.

My rpha 10 fits me perfect and I have a wierd shaped squash. It's also nice and light. I got mine from Nathan at riders discount for less than 300 but it's a plain white one

Drove up to Iron Pony - Holy CRAP! What a place.  However, their Icon selection was nothing more than a tiny pile on the floor. I know it is supposed to have a tight fit, but a medium Airmada was way too tight on my forehead. The large seemed much better, but maybe too loose.  I tried a medium Arai Signet-Q; it fit perfectly like a glove. Of course it was nearly $600. The EXO-400 wasn't bad either, but not really a step up from my L2C.  

Thanks

I tried a bunch, but most didn't fit worth a damned or were a step down. My L2C isn't bad, I'm just looking for something better. I tried Bell, Shark, etc, but none of them were really "better enough" to make me say, "Oh yeah, that's perfect" except that $580 Signet-Q. I'm thinking about chucking money into savings to catch a 'Q on sale, if that ever happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Arai Profile was their narrowest long oval shape but they discontinued that model which fits me like a glove. I bought one several years ago when I started riding again and mine is getting to the point that it will need replaced. I will be interested to see what works for you. I will tell you that the quality is first rate and Arai are comfortable. The prices have gone up considerably over the last few year as I think I paid about $400 for mine. Good luck on your search and keep us oval heads posted with the progress.

I tried a bunch, but most didn't fit worth a damned or were a step down. My L2C isn't bad, I'm just looking for something better. I tried Bell, Shark, etc, but none of them were really "better enough" to make me say, "Oh yeah, that's perfect" except that $580 Signet-Q. I'm thinking about chucking money into savings to catch a 'Q on sale, if that ever happens.

Arai Profile was their narrowest long oval shape but they discontinued that model which fits me like a glove. I bought one several years ago when I started riding again and mine is getting to the point that it will need replaced. I will be interested to see what works for you. I will tell you that the quality is first rate and Arai are comfortable. The prices have gone up considerably over the last few year as I think I paid about $400 for mine. Good luck on your search and keep us oval heads posted with the progress.

Keep an eye open on eBay also, you will find bike shops that are selling off the odd colors ect on there.  here is a size large Q with 2/13 mfg date for $450 buy it now.  

The Signet is the only thing that fits my head, sucks they are so expensive.... but this is your head we are talking about!

Be sure you get the right size... I was wearing a large for years when I really needed a Medium. :o

Edited by bark615

• 3 years later...

I had been away from riding for a while; the machine needed considerable work, which I finally completed.  Found this thread because I'm looking for a helmet again. Thought I'd necro-update that I eventually got the Scorpion Exo-500.  It's fairly good, but still has a bit of forehead pressure and is kind of bulky.  There are several LS2s (looks like they've switched to oval), Icon and a Bell on my radar.  And of course the Arai is a shining beacon of comfort and expense.  Going up to I-Ron-Pony on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 8:46 AM, Phreon said:

I had been away from riding for a while; the machine needed considerable work, which I finally completed.  Found this thread because I'm looking for a helmet again. Thought I'd necro-update that I eventually got the Scorpion Exo-500.  It's fairly good, but still has a bit of forehead pressure and is kind of bulky.  There are several LS2s (looks like they've switched to oval), Icon and a Bell on my radar.  And of course the Arai is a shining beacon of comfort and expense.  Going up to I-Ron-Pony on Monday.

Ive tried on dozens of different helmets.  I have a fairly oval shape.  The only thing that seems to fit is Shoei.  And frankly, I dont see what people like in Arai's.   Ive tried on probably 6-7 Arai's, even had the rep measure me and fit one up to my skull.  Uncomfortable, painful, and cheap are 3 words that come to mind.

Just now, Qman said:

Ive tried on dozens of different helmets.  I have a fairly oval shape.  The only thing that seems to fit is Shoei.  And frankly, I dont see what people like in Arai's.   Ive tried on probably 6-7 Arai's, even had the rep measure me and fit one up to my skull.  Uncomfortable, painful, and cheap are 3 words that come to mind.

That's the same way I felt when I tried on a shoei and bell.  Shoei had massive pressure on my forehead and this was their top of the line model. Bell was even worse for me as my teeth were touching the chin guard and my head hurt from it.  My hjc rpha10pro fit ok but my nose touched The chin guard. The arai was about the only one that fit really well. Signet x is a long oval and fit good, I ended up with the corsair x and it's probably the nicest helmet I have ever owned. I'm in that medium- long oval range. 

• Upvote 1

I didn't want to get this spendy. but I wound up with a Shoei RF-SR.   It fits fantastic. Not quite the Laz-e-boy feel of the Arai, but damned good. Comfortable. Comes with the pinlock insert. The tiny vents flow air fantastically.  My 85 mile ride the other day with it on was completely different than the EXO-500.  No pressure points at all. Impossible to fog (I can't say that of my sun glasses!!!), MUCH quieter.    DOT / ECE / Snell rated. 

I wish that I could find a helmet that fits me well.  I have a fucked up Frankenstein shaped head.  Not sure if that is long oval or what.  I was almost to the point where I was going to spring for one of the Bell custom fit helmets but they stopped making them.  I think that I have tried on every model of helmet in in stock at IP twice.  I hated my HJC but I did the hot spoon trick on the forehead and that seemed to help for now.