Woodworking

rawlins87

Nice work, my father makes all my gifts from wood. I have a self locking (puzzle style) oak jewelry box, he made. He has refurbished, designed, built many different things from wood. I can appreciate the time and effort you put in this project.

• Upvote 1

I made a dining table for a local interior design business rececntly.

Started off as oak wall joists from an old barn - 2' X 5" X 10' long boards. Planed the top. bottoms and edges and then glued them together using biscuits. Ended up with a 96" long table.

Legs were stainless steel tube that I welded and sent out for polishing.

Sanded, stained and 12 coats of polyurethane later...

post-9760-0-36115400-1406492388_thumb.jp

post-9760-0-78073100-1406492405_thumb.jp

post-9760-0-76806500-1406492416_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Cut up some more 150 year old oak barn wood to size, sanded, stained and poly'd.

I really dig the insect boring tracks on this board - makes it look pretty cool....

post-9760-0-21677000-1406492954_thumb.jp

post-9760-0-94912800-1406492966_thumb.jp

post-9760-0-94884300-1406492978_thumb.jp

post-9760-0-87220200-1406492996_thumb.jp

Got another job from the interior design shop; a fireplace mantel which I have just started.

Bought an old 12" X 12" hand hewn barn beam which I'll make some wrought iron corbels to mount it with....

post-9760-0-63980600-1406493360_thumb.jp

post-9760-0-12455700-1406493377_thumb.jp

post-9760-0-56360700-1406493390_thumb.jp

Nice work.  I love to work with wood, neighbor has all the machines and I have worked for him helping build custom cabinets and doing installs.  I have also been hired to add electrical goodies to many of the cabinets or adding switched accent lighting.  Its all good, love it....

It does if you USE it.  Pictures or it never happened... ;-)

Oh, I'll vouch for this.  He even has the well-trained minions to run it all. :)

This has always been something that's fascinated me, but with the galaxy of tools and stuff out there I've always felt too overwhelmed to start doing anything.  What would y'all suggest to start out with?  I have on hand in the garage a B&D Matrix drill with the jigsaw and reciprocating saw attachments, a hacksaw, a couple of clamps, hammers, and that's about it.  I'd like to just start easy with a workbench or something in the garage, but I just have no idea what I need and what is overkill.  I have a tendency to go overboard buying tools. :)

• Upvote 1

Oh, I'll vouch for this.  He even has the well-trained minions to run it all. :)

This has always been something that's fascinated me, but with the galaxy of tools and stuff out there I've always felt too overwhelmed to start doing anything.  What would y'all suggest to start out with?  I have on hand in the garage a B&D Matrix drill with the jigsaw and reciprocating saw attachments, a hacksaw, a couple of clamps, hammers, and that's about it.  I'd like to just start easy with a workbench or something in the garage, but I just have no idea what I need and what is overkill.  I have a tendency to go overboard buying tools. :)

Right there!  I mean, RIGHT THERE!  In your very own neighborhood.

I used to go to this club.  Check them out before you buy anything.

Ask questions.  There are so many skills among these guys that anything

you would want to know is right there.  I think they meet one Saturday,

every two months.  It was very interesting and educational.  I only stopped

going because I always had to take a vacation day off work.

http://www.wocoweb.org/

Membership includes professional woodworkers, enthusiastic hobbyists, as well as beginning woodworkers. Interests range from craft techniques to furniture and cabinetmaking to woodturning and carpentry.

Meetings are held on the second Saturday of September, November, January, March and May from 8:30 AM to 12 Noon at the Spring Road Church of Christ, 74 S. Spring Road, Westerville, OH. Each meeting features an informative seminar on woodworking techniques, a projects table where members display their latest creations, and plenty of time to share ideas with one another and to discuss techniques, projects, sources for tools and wood, etc.

The Club offers other activities for its members as well, such as classes on various woodworking topics, field trips, shop tours, summer picnic and Holiday party. Discounts at a number of woodworking supply companies are another benefit of membership.

Annual dues are $25.

Edited by JackFlash
  • Upvote 1