He painted the frame... and the engine?

Josh1234

I'm looking at this bike:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/4543231660.html

And he said he painted the frame.  It looks like some parts of the engine have been painted, also. Is that a no-no because it'll interfere with heat-dissipation, or does it not really matter as long as he used high-temp header paint?

He sent me some more recent pics via txt, with the fairings back on.  He said the paint was done before he bought it, and that the bike fell over once in his dad's garage, where he stores it.  For all I know, the fairings are just covering up damage.  There's one scuff on the tail, but it doesn't look that bad.

I'm really looking for another yzf-600, so my two leading contenders are this '07 for $2,500 w/ 8k miles, or an '06 in Dayton for 4K with only 1,000 miles.  I won't find one as clean or with less miles, but I don't know if the seller will budge from $4,000.  It's also much further away.  But it has stock exhaust, which I want... I bet that D&D on the painted one is way too loud :p

you can do trade + cash for the D&D and further reduce the purchase cost.

I don't think you really want a bike that is 8 years old with only 1000 miles anyway.  That actually worries me more than a garage tip-over.

I don't think you really want a bike that is 8 years old with only 1000 miles anyway.  That actually worries me more than a garage tip-over.

Agreed.  Miles that low isn't a good thing.  It's spent 99.9% of it's life sitting unused & aging.  Plan on replacing tires, hoses, seals, etc.  I've ridden more than that in a weekend...plenty of times.  

Edited by Tpoppa

FWIW, the seller has said that the tank isn't rusted, the carbs & tires are good, etc.  I don't know much about hoses & what not, but there you have it.  I def agree with the fact that the bike has been sitting for a long long time unused.

The post on yzf600r.com is here:

http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=68808

and that's from about 3 weeks ago.  I saw it on Craigslist yesterday:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/4581957181.html

Apparently Ashlee bought the bike from a guy in his 50's.... and then never rode it?  Or he never rode it.  In any event, I wish it were closer so I could look at it.  The painted one for 2500 was listed for 3500 a couple weeks ago, and obviously no one bought it.  He says $2,500 firm and I'm willing to bet he won't take less :(  But at least warren is less than an hour from me, so I can probably take a look at it this weekend.  

Ashlee seems to have a case of "I'm gonna get retail dealer price from my bike, and even more because it's so minty fresh" syndrome.  We all know the best way to sell a bike is to take that cash offer that's waved under your nose, but I'm willing to bet she wouldn't go for it.

I'd really like to buy one of these bikes, since they're pretty close to what I ultimately want, but until then, I'm gonna keep rockin' the ole Ninja 500 quite happily :)

FWIW, the seller has said that the tank isn't rusted, the carbs & tires are good, etc.  I don't know much about hoses & what not, but there you have it.  I def agree with the fact that the bike has been sitting for a long long time unused.

Based on how much he's ridden since 06, I think it's fair to assume that he's not a super passionate motorcycle enthusiast.  The tires may have plenty of tread left, but they're also old and hard by now and might start cracking if they're suddenly back on the road again.  I'm not saying don't buy it, but I would consider the total cost of making it road worthy if you make him an offer.  My $.02 and I buy lots of used bikes :)

Based on how much he's ridden since 06, I think it's fair to assume that he's not a super passionate motorcycle enthusiast.  The tires may have plenty of tread left, but they're also old and hard by now and might start cracking if they're suddenly back on the road again.  I'm not saying don't buy it, but I would consider the total cost of making it road worthy if you make him an offer.  My $.02 and I buy lots of used bikes :)

Please, please, give me about 8 more cents :)  This is good info.  I did make an offer of 3K on the bike, but I doubt she'll take it.  I also mentioned I'd need her to meet me around the Columbus area, so it'll have to be ridden that far from Dayton, so if anything happens in the first hour of the bike on the road, it'll happen to her, not me :)  If she trailers it, though, that's another matter.

People with really low milage bikes think they're still good as new.  After 3 or 4 years, I tend to disagree.

Battery, tires, hoses, fork seals, carbs, etc are the obvious things to look for.  The not so obvious is this...if there is any kind of manufacturing defect with the individual bike or known issue with the model/year they tend to appear in the first few thousand miles.  Ideally it all gets sorted out under warranty, if not it can get expensive.  I don't know much about the yzf600, it very well could be a bulletproof design.  If it were me, I'd be more comfortable if it had a few thousand more miles.   My $.08.

The 600r is a pretty tried and true bike. It's basically an update of the fzr 600. Same basic motor, trans and frame, little better brakes and suspension and updated graphics and colors. At 87 hp the motor doesn't really make enough power to hurt itself unless it has been subjected to repeated wailing. They're pretty tough bikes and because they're relatively low revving for a 600 (13k redline iirc) the motors generally last a while. Great bikes, a bit heavy but that's because of the super stiff delta box steel frame. Perfect 50-50 weight distribution and comfy. If I could add another bike to the stable I'd look seriously into one.

Get a yzf 1k for the win LOL thunder ace? I think they were called.

Yup, Thunderace. the 600 was called the thundercat on the other side of the pond. This was my first bike. The YZF forum is practically a cult following. The biggest problem this bike has was a bad second gear. If it occurs it happens before 25k miles. After that it will usually be fine.

It is a great bike! It's great at everything, not perfect at anything. That's a good thing if you can only have one bike. Touring, canyon carving, commuting. I have a friend who still uses it as a track bike.

I'd ask about the tranny. Hard to test unless you ride it though. Need to wind her up in second gear and see if it starts to slip. If not, you can buy an aftermarket shift detent from motion prop that is beefer than the original and should save the tranny. It's behind the clutch basket but is really easy to do. Otherwise you're looking at pricey fix at the dealer. If you are mechanical it can be done cheaply and again the forum has a step by step.

Edited by mojocho