Lowering A R6

hasuna

I think you'll fit in. It's by far the least moderated forum I've ever seen, and as a result is full of fucktards and miscreants, myself included. We can sometimes be hard on the newbs but that's mainly to weed out the people who can't handle some good natured ribbing and occasional blatant disrespect. Don't let that fool you tho, there are some really good dudes on this forum, I've met and rode with quite a few and most people on here will help you out however they can.

Brian, exhaust is tougher than you think. I've lifted a lot of I4 bikes by the exhaust with zero damage. My tl 1000s said IN THE FACTORY MANUAL to lift it by the exhaust. Let's say you have a 400 lb I4. So there's 4 head pipes, that's 100 lbs per pipe but it's 2 points of contact so that's only 50 lbs per contact point. Those contact points are roughly 3 inches by 3 inches. If your exhaust is made out of tubing that can't stand up to about 50 ft lbs then you have issues.

I can give you tons of examples of exahusts that you shouldn't lift with.  Again...  The TL example is fine and yes, I know some OEMs back when the exhausts were made of steel and super thick.  But as Todd mentioned...  You lift my bike with the exhaust and I will pull your finger nails out.

There is a way to lift a bike properly and if back yard mechaics is the way people wanna go, that's totally cool.  I would say that he is better to spend a little and get it done right than to have it done poorly and have issues later.  I am of course not saying you wouldn't do it right.  I am saying that this all started when someone thought $123 was kinda high...  It isn't.

I'm out.  OP can have the thing lifted by the frame with a backhoe for all I care.  I gave my two cents and explained it needs to be balanced and the kickstand shortened.  Gave examples and opinions.  All in his hands now.  Cheers.

• Upvote 1

These ducati guys.....

I'm 35. My entire career since 18 has been in manufacturing. Before that I took a 2 year course in high school on manufacturing technology, in which I was top of my class both years. After that I entered a 4 year apprenticeship program for tool and die making. I've taken 3 college level metallurgy courses and 2 college level equivalent structural engineering courses. At the company I work for I've worked with every industrial material imaginable including magnesium, carbon fiber and yes, titanium. In the past 17 years I have developed a comprehensive understanding of the strength and abilities of common industrial materials. I'm not just a shade tree mechanic.

Pound for pound steel is 5% stronger than titanium, but titanium is 45% lighter than steel, so you can have an exhaust that's just as strong for 40% of the weight...but most ti systems have a .040 wall thickness which is comparable to stock steel systems, so they would be just as strong as the stock steel pipes.

It's more than just the strength of the metal. Lifting there stresses the hangers, mounts, gaskets etc. It may also support the weight but can still sent the pipes and stress other components that were not ment for that stress. If you've had good luck with it so far then great, I refuse to have mine lifted that way.

Edited by MidgetTodd

Suit yourself and have fun taking your header off every time you need to life thr bike (unless you have stands). In my experience, especially on older bikes, you run into more problems trying to remove corroded header bolts. Snap one off once and see if you would have rather lifted the bike by the pipes.

Best way that me and my buddy has added everything onto my ride is....

1) Lift bike with rear and front stand. 

2) Take rear wheel wheel off

3) Reverse foot pegs...

4) Put jack stands under said foot pegs

5) Remove swingarm

6) Do whatever work you want to do back there now

I added a new swingarm, new shock, and links that way one Sunday afternoon. My bike is full of aftermarket all done in my garage.

Omg your still on this? I thought we agreed to stfu already. This affects you in no way, you're just arguing because you think you're right and you can't stand being disagreed with. Fuckin let it go dude.

Wow. You are butt hurt. I get it. You're a shade tree guy and that is totally fine. It does affect me because people like you prey on newer riders like my friend and they end up causing more harm than good. I didn't say you were wrong. Some you can do it to. You are the one that can't be wrong. You "think" you can do it because you are an internet engineer. Cool. I just want new riders to understand there is a right way and a not so smart way to do things and that having a knowledgable person to do your work is the best bet.

• Upvote 2

I don't prey on anyone, I've done work for a couple guys on here and they were 100% happy with the price and the work. Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you arguing with me was a public service...your a duc tech, good for you. My day job is an aircraft mechanic, I fix bikes on the side for some extra tax free money. If you don't like my methods, don't bring me your bike....This all started with you shitting on my post regarding how long it would take me to lower the bike and how much I'd charge for it.. and make no mistake, at $90 an hour for labor it's the duc techs that prey on people.