Good bike for two up that's not a cruiser?

Tpoppa

Vstrom and Versys are decent lightweight 2up bikes. But are probably a little tall for most newbie women to ride solo. 

Seems something like a Ninja 650 or CB500F/R is a reasonable compromise. 

An NT700v is probably more comfortable for passenger but maybe hard to find.

I agree about the V-Strom 650 (aka "Wee-strom" or "Glee" with the Gladius engine).  I own one, am completely in love with it solo, my GF really digs it for 2-up and I couldn't recommend it enough as an all-arounder but still would be pretty tall for anyone under 29-30" inseam.

An FZ6 would be a great choice if set up with a backrest or top box and a pad.

I've never owned one, but I am not totally opposed to something like a Burgman or a Silverwing.

Indeed.  If you're willing to consider a scoot, you could do a lot worse than Suzuki's Bergman 400 or the larger Honda Silverwing 600.  Sometimes they even come up for sale on Craigslist, but people tend to hold onto them.

Also like CBBaron said, there's Honda's CB500X/F/R but I don't think DCT is available for it, so you'd wantto look to their NC700/750 or CTX line if auto-shifting is important.  They'll be even harder to find used.

FJR has no soul in my opinion, the concours 14 is where it's at. I'm sure the fjr's are great bikes it just didn't to anything for me. I actually test rode the fjr first and it almost turned me off to sport touring, but then I rode the connie and never looked back.

Your one of those guy's who trailer your ST bike to Deals Gap. Don't be dissin my Cock Hauler.
  • Upvote 2

FJR has no soul in my opinion, the concours 14 is where it's at. I'm sure the fjr's are great bikes it just didn't to anything for me. I actually test rode the fjr first and it almost turned me off to sport touring, but then I rode the connie and never looked back.

They are so close on paper, it is hard to believe you felt that way.

Fz6. Buy Corbin Street-fighter and lady seat. All set.

That's the winningest vote so far if my informal count is right. Take your gal with you to a dealer who has one and test the ergos.

1. ... passenger comfort is high on the list.
  2. I don't  think we'll be spending more than 2 hour on the bike.

The 2nd statement may offset the first one for you.  She may not

have time to get uncomfortable, especially if you stop for a small

break or some ice cream after an hour.  Pillion comfort may be

less important if she is going to be riding solo.

>>  Something lightweight that she could ride solo once in a while would be a bonus. <<

>>  I just can't bend my mind around buying a cruiser or cruiser gear.

Outside of a cruiser, bikes for shorter riders, and bikes suitable for

riding two-up seem to occupy two separate lists without crossing

paths.  I've spent some time browsing the internet in search of an

answer to your question. 

She is 5' 2"...

That's pretty close to the ground. 

5"2" lady learner and non-cruiser and occasional 2 up probably spells scooter.

And this is what I've read, seems to lean towards.

A bike she would be comfortable riding alone, in seat height,

and a bike for two-up riding is not coming up on the radar in

my Google search without leaning towards the cruiser category.

Here is one place I looked around.

http://www.visordown.com/features/10-best-motorcycles-for-women/22057.html

A bike she would be comfortable riding alone, in seat height,

and a bike for two-up riding is not coming up on the radar in

I am am leaning...

1st choice CTX700 - Kind of scooter/cruiser hybrid.  I'll bet you can buy them deeply discounted.

2nd 400-600cc scootor.  Who knows, it could even be fun.

3rd some crappy cruiser that isn't super heavy & with reasonable ground clearance.  M50, 883R, Shadow Phantom, etc.

Put her on the back of your sport bike and keep insisting that you will buy something more comfortable soon...and don't.  Not that I know anything about that.

But if you insist, there are bikes like the BMW K1200S or a VFR that would be the best of both worlds.  Those are really at the top of my 2-up list, along with the Sprint 1050's.

Edited by Triumph

VFR is a great suggestion except for the fact that she's only 5'2" and these bitches are top heavy. She wouldn't have a shot in hell to touch the ground as a rider

not sure why, but when i rode the fjr my thoughts were "i can live without that"

The bags are a little wider on the FJR making it harder to fit on the trailer. ST = Sport Trailering sorry Tim I couldn't resist. I rode the Connie & ST 1300 both and the FJR just worked best for me. Not to mention its so damn sexy lookin.
  • Upvote 2

not sure why, but when i rode the fjr my thoughts were "i can live without that"

The bags are a little wider on the FJR making it harder to fit on the trailer. ST = Sport Trailering sorry Tim I couldn't resist. I rode the Connie & ST 1300 both and the FJR just worked best for me. Not to mention its so damn sexy lookin.

They are sexy, love the look and I thought it was comfy as hell, just wasn't feeling it. I hate the ST, hate the look and the feel from the saddle, never rode one but I've heard they are not the most exciting either. I deserve the trailer comment, but after the sorebuttapaloza that will prob change. If you ever get the chance Paul you should check out PhilDo's FJ he had that thing set up nice.

Another thought is the Shadow 750RS. These are a sportster-type cruiser that borders on a standard. Low seat height, enough engine to do two up for short stints, and available as new non-currents at fairly low prices, I think.

YZF 600R. Aka Thundercat. Huge banana boat seat that is plush. Sportbike style. Great first bike. Great commuter bike (50mpg). Can lower an inch and not compromise handling too much. Can still have fun in the twisties. I think this meets all your requirements. One of the best model specific forums on the web. Can be had for $3k.

Again, not the torque curve I would find ideal for a 2-up machine, but I agree with the remainder of the assessment.

At that point though, a pre-'98 Katana can probably be found for less money, and be 85% as good... 

Here's my vote for an FZ6 with a Corbin seat & backrest.

Low and can be dropped a bit. Good ergos and very handle-able in the parking lot. Yes it's an I4 but its got good torque above 3k and doesn't get crazy power unless you take her above 8k and then you quickly get to 90+ HP. Quirks: The clutch friction zone is narrow and the FI makes the throttle a bit twitchy, but you get used to those things quickly. 

Quit the hand-wringing and go see this guy at OSU. This bike plus $750 for the seat & backrest and you're set - In RED. Bet you can get the bike for a bit under $3000.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4550483402.html

Don't forget about Vintage Days @ Mid-Ohio to demo bikes also!

Demo'd a BMW one year & had to get to the gates by 'o dark thirty to get a spot on the list though. The sign-up list was all full 15 minutes after the event was open for the day.