Deals Gap / Wheels Through Time Museum

Connie14

I know it will be a bad weekend, but I am going to ride near Deals Gap next weekend. I an leaving Cbus on Thursday after work. My intent is to stay in Williamsburg, KY on Thursday evening. I need to be in the OBX on Sunday evening. Everything else is open for suggestions. It is my intent to ride nearly all the suggested routes from this thread:

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/104871-deals-gap-roads-and-routes/

I currently have to decide whether to hotel it or camp, and I need to decide whether it is worth the kids off riding time to visit the Wheels Through Time Museum. I have heard that it is a must see, but there are so many routes to ride in 2 days. All of the hotels near Maggie Valley want your first borne child for the overnight rates. I am currently thinking about staying in a hotel in Clayton, GA or camping at Cherry Hill Campground in Mountain Rest, SC.

Should I take the time out from riding to visit the Wheels Through Time Museum, or should I ride everything that looks good in the area? Any input on the hotel near Clayton, GA vs camping in SC?

Riding twisties with camping & vacation gear loaded up doesn't bother me.

Not sure of my weekend work schedule now and i promised the man child to go trail riding at least one day. So maybe next time. Will have 5 days around Labor day off(not sure which days)thinking of a long trip somewhere. WTT is worth the trip and +1 on the trout.

Edited by 2talltim

The WTT is looking like a better possibility. I forgot about the campsites on BRP, and they tend to be a little cheaper. I am going to call tomorrow to check availability. If things work out, I will have Cafe Rel for dinner on Friday and White Family Diner on Saturday.

Ironically last year I rode half the BRP and a bunch of tourist sites before heading to the OBX. Prior to Sorebuttapalooza, those 16.5 hours were the most spent on a bike in a day.

Must visit. Fantastic place. A living museum where the bikes run. Definitely check the schedule as they close on a weekday. I failed to so this the first time I went. Where else can you hear 100 year old bikes?

Looks like I will hit the museum, but I am still not sure where to stay on Saturday night. I may go back to Clayton, GA for a 2nd night. The holiday weekend has Maggie Valley pretty booked up. The hotels that are available are pretty expensive. Has anyone stayed in Clayton, GA?

It will be a little over an hour ride from Maggie Valley. (Without any slow moving traffic).

Edited by Connie14

Not sure of my weekend work schedule now and i promised the man child to go trail riding at least one day. So maybe next time. Will have 5 days around Labor day off(not sure which days)thinking of a long trip somewhere. WTT is worth the trip and +1 on the trout.

You better be at my rally this year bitch!!!!

If you're going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway its just an easy jaunt from there.  I agree that its worth the visit if you like old American bikes.  And yeah, Dale and Matt are cool as hell.