Carpal Tunnel and riding?

granda080

So, I just got the news I have "severe carpal tunnel" and that will require surgery. I've always had some issues with my hand and strength/numbing issues, but this is dumb.

When I was down at The Gap I had a moment that I hit the white line and the bars sort of jammed up my wrist. It hurt then and the next day I had some tingling in my hand. It stayed the next few days but didn't really bother me. I then ended up riding back, due to unforeseen circumstances, and by the end of that ride my thumb and hand was in pain. That pain hasn't left and has just contined to get worse.

My reason of posting is twofold:

1: I'm pretty sure my riding season is over, as I will be having surgery soon, which sucks.

2: I wanted to know if anyone has had the surgery and if/how it did(n't) effect them riding.

This blows, but I'm hoping to hear some first hand accounts of it resolving the issue and not ruining riding.

I have ct in both hands but haven't had the surgery yet. I know people who have, and all they do is make a tiny incision and snip one tendon to loosen up the tunnel. I plan on getting mine done every winter, then I dont...kinda like the surgery I need for my deviated septum, or my thrashed shoulder....

If I knew I was gonna live this long I would have taken better care of myself...

Apparently it is more prevalent in bikers than not bikers. The average of non bikers is 5 percent of the population.

Based on the physical examination, history, and EMG results,3 15 (30%) bikers had evidence of carpal tunnel syndrome in the right hand and 6 (12%) in the left hand. Bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome was observed in 4 (8%) bikers.

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/journals/ortho/%7B629ba187-2e6d-4635-a737-09ed454174f3%7D/prevalence-of-carpal-tunnel-syndrome-in-motorcyclists

I was diagnosed with Ulnar Tunnel in both hands about 10 years ago which is sort of similar.  It causes wrist pain and numbness in the ring and pinky fingers.

Stretching out my wrists helped a lot.  I used to sleep in wrist braces that keep the wrists extended.  Even with lots of riding it has gotten better over the years.  I still get some numbness when I ride.  Riding gloves with gel in the palms seem to help.     

Thanks Tonik!

I really wanted to wait until after September, but our company is changing it's insurance due to the "Affordable Care Act".

If it get it done now it will cost me a total of $110.00. If I get it done after September 1, it will cost me $2500.00.

After reading those threads it makes me optimistic about my future riding.

I would do it either right now and only lose a few weeks or wait until just before the insurance change and call it a season. Tough call but still good news, clearly the have come a long way in treating this.

Stretch and more stretching...I have it real bad, along with my tendons knotting up from my neck, restricting oxygen and blood flow, to my arms and hands...numbness and slight lose of feeling in my hands (I drop things often, and getting worse) is an every day event for me...I do not do my stretches daily as I should, I am overweight, I smoke, and I consume caffeine daily, none of this helps!

Carpal Tunnel surgery is not, and never was, intended to be a permanent fix... if you do not do the proper stretches as instructed, it will eventually return.  My thought is, many people that has it return soon after surgery (1 year or 2) just assumed the surgery was all that they needed to do.

I had a similar incident as you explained, carrying a large box filled with full oil containers, a sudden pop in both of my thumbs and wrists, then pain and numbness soon followed, eventually I had very limited feeling in my hands for nearly 2 years...I went through all the tests, and was diagnosed with the symptoms I mentioned above.  Surgery was suggested by the Doctors, daily stretching was suggested by the Physical Therapist...I opted not to have the surgery, some days are tough, while others are not so bad.  Arm and hand fatigue is my major issue, but again, I do myself no favors when it comes to helping my issues go away.

Think hard when considering having the surgery, there may very well be other (better) options for you!

I am not a Doctor, nor am I in any way a professional consultant for carpal tunnel, I have just lived with it for many years is all.

Granda don't do surgery IMO. Go check out this place.

Integrative Health + Sports Performancemore infoAddress:Address:transparent.pngtransparent.png

Relocated from Relocated to  Not true? Show all edits Not true?
Placement on map is approximate
2955 Exchange Place Boulevard #103
Miamisburg, OH 45342
(937) 433-0909

Many years ago (like 20) when I lived in Dayton this Chiropractor saved me from surgery. Surgery is only attempting to fix the effect not the cause. The way it was explained to me is there are 3 little floating bones, kinda like little rocks that create this "tunnel" they can move making the tunnel smaller. Surgery cuts something in there that opens the tunnel up. This guy, cracked my wrists putting the bones back in place, then used physical therapy and gave me excercises that strengthen the muscles that hold the bones in place. This was not an overnight fix, but to this day I have not had to have surgery. I still get flare ups, but when that happens I'll do the excercises a couple of days and it really helps.

Anyhow I think he is definately worth checking out.

A friend of mines mother had the surgery and to this day one of her fingers is constantly numb, her wrist feels better though.

• Upvote 1

Clark Chiropractic in Englewood is really good, he also does joints other than backs.

I know a guy who was going to need surgery on his elbow (swelling, pain,etc.) Clark adjusted it and all was well. He also rides, a lot.

Timin8Tr I really don't want to do surgery but I will likely end up having to do so as my INS will suck after Sept 1. It will cover very few chiropractic visits.

Pauly, I am greatly disappointed in the result of ACA. It will cost me +150 a paycheck just to keep my insurance. Sadly we are told our insurance is on the top 22%ile in cost and benefits. Which is fine except I work at a school which doesn't pay the greatest. I feel extra bad for my staff. I make a bit more then them. I ended up forgoing the raise I was given so that it could be given to some of our other teachers.

It's just crazy.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear this Andy. This insurance crap is exactly that....crap. Props to you passing your raise down to others. A noble move on your part. Hopefully the surgery goes well and here's to a quick recovery. have some mild cts in my wrists as well, but it doesn't cause pain/numbness unless I put a lot of pressure on my wrists ( like pushups ) or play a lot of fast guitar. My riding doesn't bother it too much ( so far ) aside from some numbness, but a Throttle Boss helps me to open my grip and stretch my hand/wrist out now and then. A cruise control is definitely on my list of wants I need. Good luck man and please let us know how it goes

Years back I was diagnosed with my left wrist having 40% and my right wrist having 70% ct.  This really effects my riding as my right arm constantly goes to sleep even though I have my bar height below my heart which the Dr told me would make a big difference.

I have gone back and forth, get surgery, don't, but with this new insurance boondoggle I am going in in the late fall for both to be done.  A co worker had his done, one by laser, the other conventionally.  With the laser surgery he was back to running heavy equipment in just a few days, but with the conventional surgery it took nearly 2 months before he could go back to work.

I'm definitely going with the laser or whatever has the quickest 'cure' time, but it is getting done this time.

• 1 month later...

Just an update:

I had open carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand a month ago tomorrow.  Thus far it hasn't been as terrible as I expected it to be.  The surgery wasn't too terrible and the "pain" wasn't bad.  I only took about 12 of the pain killers and was finished with them by the third day.  The recovery thus far has been very odd.  There are days that it is very swollen and feels bloated, but mostly it seems alright.  At this point I can type easily with no issues.  I can hold and write with a pen but it will start to get sore after a few lines.  Recently I found that I can throw a dart, which is something that I was upset about not being able to do.

Occasionally, it will spasm and have some minor pain.  If I apply any type of bending of my wrist and pushing it is a more significant pain.  The thought of riding is truly laughable.  The decrease in my grip strength and stamina are severely depreciated.  The doctor said don't expect to hold a gallon of milk by December.  I can hold it now...I just can't move my wrist while doing it.

The numbness, which was the major reason aside from the reduced strength issues, was why I decided to have the surgery.  To this point my index finger is completely alleviated of the tingling sensation which has been great.  My thumb goes through spells of being numb and tingling, to bloated feeling, to actually feeling like a "normal" digit.

I haven't had any referral to OT as of yet.  My doctor seems pleased with my progression thus far.  I have seen our OT at work a few times to ask questions and get some exercises to try.  

Overall, I'm satisfied with my decision at this point.  If it changes I'll certainly voice that.  Again, it hasn't been terribly painful and a month into it I'm able to do most things without too much issues.  Just being cognizant of it and making good choices.

Cheers

• Upvote 2