Corbin Seat

wikiwiki750

I'm looking to buy a new seat. I have been looking into Corbin seats for the gsxr. Has anyone tried this brand of seat? I've read a lot about break in period and the seat being a lot firmer than the stock seat. I've noticed a lot of numbness and sliding around a lot on the stock 2005 gsxr seat. Thanks 

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/sgsxr754.shtml

I like Corbins.  I've had 3 of them.  I find them to be very comfortable for distance riding.  

If you get a Corbin, order it directly from them.  Not a dealer.  They will customize if free of charge, with different materials, color, height, etc.

I like Corbins.  I've had 3 of them.  I find them to be very comfortable for distance riding.  

If you get a Corbin, order it directly from them.  Not a dealer.  They will customize if free of charge, with different materials, color, height, etc.

does the seat help to keep you from sliding around and slamming into the tank? what about numbness for long rides? thanks

I thought they would do anything. Did they say that?

I looked on their page and there was no option for the gsxr series. I will call after work and see if they do custom work. Ideally I would like to have a center line cut out down the seat to help with numbness 

does the seat help to keep you from sliding around and slamming into the tank? what about numbness for long rides? thanks

It will help for numbness on longer rides.  

Corbin has lots of different textures for the seat surface.  Tell them you want one of the more grippy surfaces.  Oh, and don't order from their website.  Call and talk to someone.  They gave me some good ideas for customization that I wouldn't have though of.

Here is one I had custom made.  After about 30,000 miles, I sold it on ebay for about $50 less than I originally paid (after I sold the bike).

P1000042.JPG?psid=1

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

I have a Corbin on my ZX6R. I love it. The biggest difference is that the seat is wider in the back so when you're not pressed up against the tank for spirited rides you can scoot back a little bit and have your butt actually be spread over the seat instead of having it split your cheeks if that makes sense. As far as longevity, A+ so far. I've left it in the rain a couple times and it dries out fairly well as long as you leave it for a bit. Finish is still perfect after that as well. I got mine off of Ebay for about 80 bucks less than retail, still brand new.

It will help for numbness on longer rides.  

Corbin has lots of different textures for the seat surface.  Tell them you want one of the more grippy surfaces.  Oh, and don't order from their website.  Call and talk to someone.  They gave me some good ideas for customization that I wouldn't have though of.

Here is one I had custom made.  After about 30,000 miles, I sold it on ebay for about $50 less than I originally paid (after I sold the bike).

P1000042.JPG?psid=1

That buell looks amazing. Love those bikes. Thanks 

I have a Corbin on my ZX6R. I love it. The biggest difference is that the seat is wider in the back so when you're not pressed up against the tank for spirited rides you can scoot back a little bit and have your butt actually be spread over the seat instead of having it split your cheeks if that makes sense. As far as longevity, A+ so far. I've left it in the rain a couple times and it dries out fairly well as long as you leave it for a bit. Finish is still perfect after that as well. I got mine off of Ebay for about 80 bucks less than retail, still brand new.

I'm going to call and see if they might cut a line out kind of what you see on road bicycle seats to spread it out and allow more blood flow. 

I swore by Corbin's on all 3 of my super sports. Tried a different direction on the VFR and that was a mistake as it's not nearly as nice as Corbin route

I guess I'm going to have to give it a shot thanks 

I bought a used one for the FZ. It was awful.

It was smooth leather and I couldn't keep my nuts from mashing the tank.

It was hard as a rock and made me painfully aware of my ass bones after about 20 miles.

YRMV

I have a Corbin on my CBR and I love it.  I have had it since maybe March?  I also ordered one for the pillion seat, even though I have a solo cowl, because the plywood slab that came stock on the bike was just too much on longer distance rides for my GF.  I can say that it definitely looks far better than the stock seat, the fit and finish is superb and it was comfortable right out of the box.  Firm but still more comfortable than stock.  Corbin says that the seat doesn't break in until you have about 2000 miles on it.  I will say that it does keep getting better and better.

The seat makes me feel much more secure and there is no slippage.  This is obviously going to depend on what material you have put on it.  I chose the carbon fiber look with the asphalt sides.  Its just enough to add some detail but it doesn't look like bling either.  Subtle and tasteful.  They were expensive but I would certainly do it again.

• 2 months later...

So what's the difference between a Corbin seat (memory foam type if I read correctly) and a gel seat? Which is better for long distance rides and avoiding numbness and having to "switch cheeks" every hour or so?

"I miss America"

Edited by idodishez

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 2 Corbin seats in the past and they were...ok

Once I bought my Triumph which had a Sargent seat already on it I figured I would give it a try. So far I'm loving the gel of the Sargent a lot more than the Corbin. It's more pliable to my weight, supportive and a hell of a lot lighter. The Corbin to me looked nice, but was super hard and always had nasty pressure points even after it was "broken in". I did an 800 miler on the Sargent and only had minor discomfort. Opposed to only a 300 miler with the Corbin causing excruciating pain the whole ride.

Anyone ever tried being cheap and modifying a stock seat with a gel pad?

I was thinking of doing this with my stock seat. $30-40 for a good size gel pad then just take the cover off seat, shave some foam down til the gel fits nicely and recover. Don't have anything to loose really, and it's gotta be a little more comfy. Figured I'd do a little write up and post it whenever I get around to doing it.

I bought a second hand corbin for my vfr. I was very disapointed in the fit and finish, Much more sliding in the mounts than the factory seat. I could never get comfortable on it. I found the factory seat to be easier to ride with, especially long distance.  Basically it became a garage ornament and only put on if the wife wanted to go on a ride.

Edited by zx3vfr

hu2u2y9y.jpg

Before 3amehudu.jpg

After

As I've read elsewhere, the fit is not great. Rubs against tank more than I'd like. Holes for seat bolts are too small. Will need drilled out. Don't line up exactly either. Like the looks but for $300 I expect it to fit perfect. This weeks ride will tell on comfort if it gets broken in

"I miss America"

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're gonna hate it for this trip. It most likely won't be broken in completely

I loved my Corbin's on both my 600rr's but I bought em used for the exact reason they were already broke in