An Electric Harley? Whaaaaaat?

Tpoppa

628x471.jpg

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Harley-Davidson will unveil its first electric motorcycle next week, and President Matt Levatich said he expects the company known for its big touring bikes and iconic brand to become a leader in developing technology and standards for electric vehicles.

Harley will show handmade demonstration models Monday at an invitation-only event in New York. The company will then take several dozen riders on a 30-city tour to test drive the bikes and provide feedback. Harley will use the information it gathers to refine the bike, which might not hit the market for several more years.

The venture is a risk for Harley because there's currently almost no market for full-size electric motorcycles. The millions of two-wheeled electric vehicles sold each year are almost exclusively scooters and low-powered bikes that appeal to Chinese commuters. But one analyst said investment by a major manufacturer could help create demand, and Levatich emphasized in an interview with The Associated Press that Harley is interested in the long-term potential, regardless of immediate demand.

more here:

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/Harley-Davidson-introduces-electric-motorcycle-5563978.php

Aimed at IT guys in a mid life crisis? I can see it now, knee high socks in penny loafers with sleeveless Angry Birds shirts having bike nights at Starbucks

I can envision a Mods vs. Rockers -esque schism ensuing.  And a movie or two in 10 years - lol.

Nonsense. Just roll around screaming loud engine noises. No one will even know the difference.

Although I do really like the design. It is defiantly buellesque. And as a buell enthusiast I appreciate that. Anxious to see how it performs. With all these new bikes it almost looks like Harley is trying to sell motorcycles instead of t-shirts an leather lol. What has the world come to.

• Upvote 1

It should come standard with rear facing speakers and exhaust sounds stored within the ECM.

umm, I read it is supposed to make "sound like a jet landing".

(electric vehicles are so quiet the Feds require noise making under some low speed)

Sort of want to predict that less than 200 will be sold.

umm, I read it is supposed to make "sound like a jet landing".

(electric vehicles are so quiet the Feds require noise making under some low speed)

Sort of want to predict that less than 200 will be sold.

They gave it "90* bevel gears" which sounds like straight-cut gears to me.

So, it'll still be noisier and more obnoxious than it needs to be.

That said I think the thing looks gorgeous. If they can improve on the 50-mile range reports that I've been seeing, I'll probably continue to want one of these even though I won't be able to afford the doublessly-stratospheric MSRP.

• Upvote 1