Please talk me out of a Ninja 250!

Josh1234

There is no need to ever move up from a 600, most 600's now have as much hp and are faster than 1000 models less than 10 years old. Very few folks on this board that could ride anything over a 600 even close to its potential.

There is no need to ever move up from a 600, most 600's now have as much hp and are faster than 1000 models less than 10 years old. Very few folks on this board that could ride anything over a 600 even close to its potential.

Absolutely agreed, especially with fuel injection and lightweight suspension design.

My only gripe about the Ninja 250 is the weight.  I'm not sure what's in it that makes it weigh 379lbs, and so many 600's are only 20-40 lbs heavier with 5X the horsepower.  I think the buyer is getting cheated a little.  Of course the price makes that somewhat forgivable, and they are cheap to maintain/insure/own.

One gripe I read in reviews is the fact that you need to wind the hell out of the engine to get moving, which can be fun for a while but the reviewers say it gets old.  It all depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

You're taking the right approach however, better to start small and work your way up.  I learned on a 96 Bandit 600 and loved it, but again took it slowly and picked roads and scenerios where I would learn the most with the least risk to my personal safety.  Also avoided riding with a passenger for quite a while.  The GS500's mentioned wouldn't be a bad alternative provided you can find one that isn't thrashed.  EX500's are nice too, if you can find one that isn't stupid overpriced.  When I was looking for my first bike, the few that came up for sale were beat to shit and silly expensive.  Hopefully times have changed; my experience looking for one was back in 2005/6.

I'll throw in my vote for the GS500, I've always considered a 500cc twin a go anywhere do anything bike.  Started out 30 years ago at age 52 on a CB400T and traded it in on a CB750K six months and 6k miles later like most newbies do instead of learning how to really ride it.  A couple more bikes later I traded a tired CB650SC in on a new 97 GS500E and when it was totaled in 03 with 80k on the clock I picked up the 02 GS500 I'm riding now that just turned 100k miles late last year.  I've had more fun on those GSs than anyone ought to have on 2 wheels doing 400-500 mile Interstate days traveling yearly to the mountains to play riding with all kinds of bikes and riders up until about 10 years ago when I began winding down but am still enjoying shorter rides on my 02 GS.

• Upvote 1

I like the GS500, but it's a turd.  They're not much more powerful than the Ninja 250.   The only real advantage is that I feel the chassis is mildly better than the pre-2008 EX250, and the lack of radiator means you don't have to drain or flush coolant for winter and/or maintenance. 

talking liter bikes, I think more than 100hp is silly on the street, but I do understand that people want big torque.  I spun the rear today accelerating up a damp highway entrance ramp.  I wasn't even on it that hard, and I definitely short-shifted, but the tire let go a second before I pulled in the clutch to pick up 3rd gear.  That's on a bike making 95hp on its best day...  Something like the superhawk (big twin) is probably really my ideal street bike.

None of the options listed/suggested by everyone else have been "bad," and there is something to love about almost every bike.  It's just a matter of what you want to live with every time you go riding.  It can be really fun to wring out a 250 and drag-race all over town without breaking (m)any laws.  It's also fun to have gobs of torque and not care what gear you're in. 

If you won't get to ride frequently, I would always err on the side of cheap.  That's why I have the bike I do.  This is the first time I've gotten to ride to work, and it's hard to get out of parenting for long enough to really take longer rides.  I know my bike will do a lot of sitting, so I didn't make it a priority to have something super awesome.

If you won't get to ride frequently, I would always err on the side of cheap.  That's why I have the bike I do.  This is the first time I've gotten to ride to work, and it's hard to get out of parenting for long enough to really take longer rides.  I know my bike will do a lot of sitting, so I didn't make it a priority to have something super awesome.

Lots of wisdom in Chris' post, and the last paragraph really matched my logic until my kiddo got old enough to have her own activities.

I like the GS500, but it's a turd.  They're not much more powerful than the Ninja 250.   The only real advantage is that I feel the chassis is mildly better than the pre-2008 EX250, and the lack of radiator means you don't have to drain or flush coolant for winter and/or maintenance. 

talking liter bikes, I think more than 100hp is silly on the street, but I do understand that people want big torque.  I spun the rear today accelerating up a damp highway entrance ramp.  I wasn't even on it that hard, and I definitely short-shifted, but the tire let go a second before I pulled in the clutch to pick up 3rd gear.  That's on a bike making 95hp on its best day...  Something like the superhawk (big twin) is probably really my ideal street bike.

None of the options listed/suggested by everyone else have been "bad," and there is something to love about almost every bike.  It's just a matter of what you want to live with every time you go riding.  It can be really fun to wring out a 250 and drag-race all over town without breaking (m)any laws.  It's also fun to have gobs of torque and not care what gear you're in. 

Good post.  Yeah, I'm looking for cheap until I find out just how much I CAN ride.  I wish I still had my YZF-600, since it'd be a great commuter bike (And yes, I'm keeping my eyes open for good deals on another.)

Parma, huh?  I wonder how close you are to this:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4514028458.html

I'm considering that, but might end up on a ninja 500 instead.  Just not sure yet.  

I would buy this before the Bandit or the FZ6... http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4515470944.html (2004 Honda 599 for $2500 asking)

this also isn't bad, if it's in good shape... ('94 F2 for $1800 http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4506619426.html)

this is okay too, if you want something unique (triumph speed four $2500 http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4490110705.html)

I swear I wasn't looking for Hondas - just anything at a fair price that I would want to ride.

Here is the same bike I have, an '08 GS 500F.  (F=fairing)

It's not a turd bike if you don't have anything else to compare it to.  It sits upright and

does just fine on the freeway.  I've had it to 100 mph but fear and running out of road

made me decide to back it down.  Passing trucks on the freeway has never been a

problem.  I kick down one and buzz quickly ahead of them.  Many who have traded

these for something else do miss it for trips around town.

I put soft saddle bags, a top bag, and a tank bag on it.  They came in a set from I.P.

00303_9q5FEMGmBFJ_600x450.jpg

00505_lerO9WUB0Iy_600x450.jpg

Edited by JackFlash

Fzr 600 is a great bike too and you can usually find them pretty cheap. As for liter plus bikes, I like having the torque for riding around town, on a 600 you have to either constantly shift or just run it on boil all the time to have the power when you want or need it. Big bore, you just twist and go.

I would buy this before the Bandit or the FZ6... http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4515470944.html (2004 Honda 599 for $2500 asking)

this also isn't bad, if it's in good shape... ('94 F2 for $1800 http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4506619426.html)

this is okay too, if you want something unique (triumph speed four $2500 http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4490110705.html)

I swear I wasn't looking for Hondas - just anything at a fair price that I would want to ride.

Yellow.  Purple and yellow (and 20 years old).  Yellow.  

Sheesh, did you go looking for all the yellow bikes? :)  Good deals, but most hated color :(  I want a bike that makes me happy when I walk up to it, not just when I ride on it.  This means I probably won't ride a yellow bike, and I'll likely give preference to fully-faired bikes.  Some might think it's shallow, but for me, it's just an intangible joy of riding.  It's like when I had my very first Dodge Stealth, which was a 92 R/T.  LOOOOVED to drive it, since it was fun as hell, but also liked walking up to it and admiring it, as well as glancing over my shoulder while walking away. (by the way... it was NOT a yellow car! ;))

Here is the same bike I have, an '08 GS 500F.  (F=fairing)

It's not a turd bike if you don't have anything else to compare it to.  It sits upright and

does just fine on the freeway.  I've had it to 100 mph but fear and running out of road

made me decide to back it down.  Passing trucks on the freeway has never been a

problem.  I kick down one and buzz quickly ahead of them.  Many who have traded

these for something else do miss it for trips around town.

I put soft saddle bags, a top bag, and a tank bag on it.  They came in a set from I.P.

I like GS500F's.  If I could find one cheap, I'd pick it up for sure.  But they don't make them any more, and most seller's don't seem to realize that 2 years after they stopped making them, you could STILL get a dealer leftover for 4,000 out the door.  most 500F's, sellers seem to want at least 3K for them, or 2500 for beat up ones.  They're just not  that much BIKE, though.  Like someone said earlier... fully-faired bike command a premium, though, and for obvious reasons :)  I'd consider one, but I think an EX-500 seems to be more available and for cheaper, too.

Fzr 600 is a great bike too and you can usually find them pretty cheap. As for liter plus bikes, I like having the torque for riding around town, on a 600 you have to either constantly shift or just run it on boil all the time to have the power when you want or need it. Big bore, you just twist and go.

That's okay, I like shifting.  I even own a manual transmission car.  For me, shifting is part of the fun of riding, too, so I don't mind needing to downshift to pass.

I don't need a liter bike, and don't want one.  They're heavy, more expensive to purchase, more expensive to maintain, and more expensive to operate (gas).  Also, they're harder to ride, and I'd really prefer to develop my skills first.

And I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on this bike!  I'll save it for the next :) 

That's why I love my V4 so much. Not a liter but all the torque!

I don't need a liter bike, and don't want one.  They're heavy, more expensive to purchase, more expensive to maintain, and more expensive to operate (gas).  

I'm not trying to sell you on a liter bike by any stretch, but I would bet you that a modern 1000cc bike is negligibly heavier than a Ninja 250.  Within 30 lbs. is my guess.  They will cost more to insure, more for tires, and not be as frugal at the pump, but oil changes cost the same amount regardless of the bike.

I don't need a liter bike, and don't want one. They're heavy, more expensive to purchase, more expensive to maintain, and more expensive to operate (gas). Also, they're harder to ride, and I'd really prefer to develop my skills first.

And I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on this bike! I'll save it for the next :)

Not entirely true. Maintenance is going to be the same as any other bike. Weight is negligible, as far as fuel economy, my 1200 is jetted to the moon and back and gets 40 mpg if I don't hoon around on it like a madman, and older liter bikes aren't much more than older 600's.

Not saying you should get one, you obviously don't have enough confidence in your abilities and that's good. Just pointing out some glaring inaccuracies in your post.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

I will say this about the 250s-- hopping on them and just going doesn't require crossing the same mental barrier that larger bikes require. There is something about the 600s, etc, that just demand a little more of your mental resouces, a little bit of niggling anxiety is always tucked away somewhere in your brain stem.

I can just grip and rip the 250, errands, commutes, whatever. It's friendly transportation. Going somewhere on the 600 is more of an event.

If your riding tends toward utilitarian uses in a city, hard to beat that 250.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I love the Ninja 250's. I've owned two pregen (1993 and 2003) 250's and plan on buying another in the future. For the record, I'm 6'1" and was 260 lbs when I owned them. Of the 12 bikes I've had in the last two years, they were the most fun.

I've had mine up to 94 miles/hour, ridden at 70 MPH for 250 miles in one go (on a bike that wouldn't idle that I picked up for $800 the day before).

I just love being able to rail on the little engines, screaming away at 14,500 rpm.

My vote goes for the older generation though. The newer version is much less comfortable for taller folk in my opinion, and the engines don't rev as high!