Please talk me out of a Ninja 250!

Josh1234

My Buell Blast was fun, but i would like to try another bike.  The guy with the 500 that Tpoppa posted has texted me back, and says the bike is still available.  He sent some pictures, and it looks VERY clean.  It's listed for 2300, and if I could get it for 2K, I'll be all over it. A 500 would be a nice improvement over a 250, and they're listed at the same price... I know the 250 won't take less than 2300, and this 500 guy might take 2,000 since it says 2300 OBO, and it's been for sale for a month.  Only downside is color, but i'll probably buy that 500 if I can snag it for 2K.  I'd probably buy it for 2300 also, for that matter.  Have to see it in person & ride it.

Wish I didn't have to wait until next week or next weekend before having time to look at a bike :(

^^

He should be ready to deal if it's been for sale for a month.

Yep.  Also, I've found with CL sellers that cash and a fast, drama-free sale can make great deals happen.  Come prepared with a bill of sale doc (one copy for each party), knowledge about the title transfer process, where to find nearby notaries (banks and libraries usually have them but call ahead) and specific plans for taking possession of the bike.

Found this on CL:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4514028458.html (2001 GS500)

Asked if they'd take 1500 instead of the requested 2000, and got a TXT back that the lowest they could do is 1800.  I said I was interested, gave e-mail for more pics.  Got a couple and it's a nice-looking bike.  Googled the sender's name (Lisa) and found her twitter account.  Her twitter avatar has her sitting on the bike, leaning on her helmet, with her helmet sitting RIGHT ON THE TANK.

Sigh.  

meonmotorcycle1.jpg

I'm your size and that me on an '06 Ninja 250R that I owned for a year.

I do not like the newer ones as well because the fairings are shaped poorly for someone with my inseam. 

However power and size was good until I got on the freeway. The 250 will do the freeway but it is wrung out so acceleration at freeway speeds is very slow.

Stay out of rush hour on the interstates and its a great bike with excellent fuel economy.

And if I still owned my '06 I could easily sell it for what I paid 5 years ago. Used versions definitely hold their value as there is always someone looking for a good starter bike for cheap.

Craig

Thats about $1k over priced. 

I paid $1600 for my low mileage, clean '06 5 years ago.

That Bandit looks nice. If Paul says its clean then I have to imagine it is pristine.

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

if 2500 is your range, I'd highly consider IP's bandit... If you can't get passed the red color then you may be able to talk this guy down a bit. 

http://chautauqua.craigslist.org/mcy/4477072911.html

or maybe this 

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/4502645577.html

Edited by DerekClouser

That FZ6 is the ticket. Buy that bike. Fuck the Bandit.

I've owned that same model and year FZ6. It's a great bike. Injected. 97 hp. Comfort for 500+ mile days. It's a no brainer. Mine had 42k miles when I sold it.

Damn that's a good looking FZ6.

Fz6, bandit or ex500. The gs500 is a 3 legged dog, and this is coming from a suzuki fan.

Buy a grown up bike dude. You know how to ride, you're not a stupid kid, you probably won't try to out ride your abilities. Get something with power you can use for a few seasons.

Sounds like he's already made up his mind. :) I have to sell my Ducati Diavel. It will be available 7/1 or a day or two later. It's the Diavel Carbon Black, 7500 miles, powder coated exhaust, high intensity high and low beams, Ducati tail bag, Ducati headlight fairing, never wreaked, never tipped over excellent shape, put it on Cycle Trader for $16,500. Will take less just want to make a few bucks before repo after bankruptcy.

Don

Man, for someone who already has multiple personality disorder when it comes to bikes, you guys aren't helping!

(j/k, you are helpiung greatly, and I def appreciate all the time spent on your parts).

That Fz6 is a leeeedle more then I want to spend just yet.  And he does say he's firm on the price :(

RedKow, have you ridden both an EX500 and a GS500?  and you recommend the ninja over the gs500?  With those two quick responses about a gs500 being a little underpowered, it's making me second-guess myself.  Darn shame, since the gs500 for 1800 is the cheapest 500 I've found so far.  

I wish I wasn't so schizophrenic about deciding on a bike to buy.

Having owned a cbr 250 until recently I would like to point out that on such a bike you must rely on the kindheartedness of any driver you decide to overtake. Good for commuting but not as your only bike or for sport riding imho.

I'm a firm believer that any bike I buy at this point will NOT be my last bike. 

I won't be doing any track days, and I won't be doing any racing.  I don't need to go fast.  

And yes, I know I'll look like a monkey humping a football, with such a big guy on a small bike

.... I have SOME experience with a larger bike... my YZF-600...

Anyway, that's where I'm at.  Thoughts?

With experience on a 600, you will be eager to move up in no time.

After a long winter I'm somewhat apprehensive about jumping on

my little GS 500 for the first ride.  That lasted until I pulled out of

the driveway.  Then I was like a duck taking to water.  It felt so

natural, like it was a part of me.

So, I don't think think it matters which starter bike you get.  You

might have fun with it for a season or two, then you will have a

strong itch to upgrade.  You won't be married to the starter bike.

With experience on a 600, you will be eager to move up in no time.

After a long winter I'm somewhat apprehensive about jumping on

my little GS 500 for the first ride.  That lasted until I pulled out of

the driveway.  Then I was like a duck taking to water.  It felt so

natural, like it was a part of me.

So, I don't think think it matters which starter bike you get.  You

might have fun with it for a season or two, then you will have a

strong itch to upgrade.  You won't be married to the starter bike.

I'm comfortable with that scenario, though... I can sell it for what I paid for it, and I'll be reassured that I actually do want to ride and get a chance.  Biggest downside of a starter bike is that I want to use it to commute, and it's faster to take the highway :(

But I DON'T want to be dependent on the goodwill of other drivers, in order to pass, like jschaf said :(

Edited by Josh1234