It may be time...

ScubaCinci

I think it may be about time that I sell my beloved Z1000 :(

After my third knee surgery, the last being in late April, I've had issues sitting for moderate periods of time with my leg bent at acute angles without having a fair amount of pain that creeps in. The greater the bend, the quicker it begins to hurt. Surgery was done to repair some cartilage and it prior to the surgery, I was having severe pain so surgery did help. It just wasn't a cure.

I've been commuting the last month or so on my Z (~35-40 min ride) and about halfway through, I get serious a knee ache. I'm going to give it a little more time to see if it improves (it has, a little) but I have quite a bit of arthritis in my knee thanks to age and numerous injuries and that's not going away. It has bothered me for years but now it's worse to the point that it makes me not want to ride the Z at all.

I had planned on getting something more comfortable anyway (i.e. maybe a Super Tenere) but I was going to keep the Z for those times when I wanted something sportier. Now, I'm not so sure.

Maybe I should've titled the thread, 'what a drag it is getting old'.

Sorry to hear.  After a neck/back injury, a knee injury is my biggest fear for reasons you mention. 

I don't know much about the Z's, but would it be possible to reposition the rearsets into a position that would be more comfortable?  I realize it may change the dynamic of the bike a little, but if it keeps you riding it may be worth considering. 

At least the market has just about every sort of bike you could imagine with all sorts of riding positions, so if you have to change it out, you'll still be able to find something you like riding. 

Yeah, alternate rearsets aren't going to be enough. I have test ridden a Super Tenere and that riding position is fine so I know there are a number of bikes out there that will work but I'll really miss the Z...it's one of the best all around bikes I've ever ridden.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it may be about time that I sell my beloved Z1000 :(

After my third knee surgery, the last being in late April, I've had issues sitting for moderate periods of time with my leg bent at acute angles without having a fair amount of pain that creeps in. The greater the bend, the quicker it begins to hurt. Surgery was done to repair some cartilage and it prior to the surgery, I was having severe pain so surgery did help. It just wasn't a cure.

I've been commuting the last month or so on my Z (~35-40 min ride) and about halfway through, I get serious a knee ache. I'm going to give it a little more time to see if it improves (it has, a little) but I have quite a bit of arthritis in my knee thanks to age and numerous injuries and that's not going away. It has bothered me for years but now it's worse to the point that it makes me not want to ride the Z at all.

I had planned on getting something more comfortable anyway (i.e. maybe a Super Tenere) but I was going to keep the Z for those times when I wanted something sportier. Now, I'm not so sure.

Maybe I should've titled the thread, 'what a drag it is getting old'.

How much would you consider selling the bike for if you don't mind me asking?

Good on ya for looking at the ADV bikes - they do offer the least leg angle of any bike I've sat on.  My 'Strom 650 with lowered pegs, Rox pullback risers and ATV handlebars is nearly perfect for my prematurely-aging neck, back and knees.  The Tenere would probably be even better but I'm too short for it.

How much would you consider selling the bike for if you don't mind me asking?

It's posted in the Bikes for sale section (see link in my signature) but I have a sale pending payment.

Edited by ScubaCinci