HVAC advice needed

smashweights

The wife and I just bought our first home and on day 2 of ownership, the AC isn't working. Had an HVAC company come out and determined the compressor was shot and we needed a new AC unit.  AC unit and furnace are both 20 years old and it's been recommended we just replace the furnace along with the AC unit.  We also have an addition on the house that has no ductwork installed and needs probably 2 duct lines run (almost 400sqft with 1 vent in the rear).  Anyone have recommendations on:

-Good HVAC company in Dayton area.

-Good brand of HVAC equipment. We've gotten quotes for Rheem, Ameristar, Trane, and Payne equipment so far.

-If we should even bother replacing the furnace too or are we just getting suckered by people looking to make more $$$ off us.

Honestly, I'm lost. The free estimates are piling up and I have no effing clue how to even begin to make a decision on this stuff.  All the equipment is different, all the installers/contractors are different, all the prices are different.  How do I decide who to work with and what to have put in?

I'm not going to be super helpful, but do they spec out the size of the equipment in the quotes? 

Yeah, 3 ton 13 SEER AC unit (1900sqft home) and furnace BTUs from 75k to 90k (80% AFUE) in the estimates.

Edited by smashweights

Oh, and I guess my other question is: can I still buy a homeowners warranty after we already have a problem with this thing?  My realtor failed to ever mention this option that apparently EVERYONE else in my life knew existed when I told them the AC unit was out.

So, my unprofessional thoughts... I'm of the idea that you keep big equipment like a furnace, water heater, whatever, until it can't be repaired or you are specifically trying to save $ by installing a more efficient unit.  But, keep in mind, that when you need the furnace, if it does fail, getting it repaired/replaced is going to take more time and you might end up being chilly for a few days.  I would think this would be simply how much money you have and how much of your convenience you're willing to risk for it.

I've seen people have their equipment slightly oversized which is a more expensive than what it should be, so just make sure that nobody is trying to sell you oversized equipment.

From what I was recommended from a friend, I would not go below 16 seer in Ohio. I just went through this last month with replacing both of our units. I'm a fan of over kill, and went with a 4 ton ,19.6 seer, but I wanted features and energy efficiency. We went with Trane and are very pleased with it for our 2200sqft. 

We paid and joined Angies list. It has helped a ton for things in our area. I don't know any place in Dayton to recommend. I can tell you Trane is doing 1-5 years same as cash, which we used. It's just one of those things I don't want to mess with for a long time.  

An insurance claim won't cover this because it is normal wear and tear. Had your house been hit by lightening and that fried it, or some other act that killed it, you might be able to.

Edit:

This is what I meant to say about the warranty.

With you not having it, then getting it, and filing a big claim right away, I would think they are going to be suspicious. 

Edited by Mojoe

I'm still learning about the home warranty stuff myself. However as I understand it, the home warranty would cover your situation, although since you don't have it yet it may not. You may contact your realtor and try to get it added on then put the claim in.

Sent while riding

I'm still learning about the home warranty stuff myself. However as I understand it, the home warranty would cover your situation, although since you don't have it yet it may not. You may contact your realtor and try to get it added on then put the claim in.

Sent while riding

Yeah, just dont know if it will cover it since we already have the problem now, before it takes effect...

From what I was recommended from a friend, I would not go below 16 seer in Ohio. I just went through this last month with replacing both of our units. I'm a fan of over kill, and went with a 4 ton ,19.6 seer, but I wanted features and energy efficiency. We went with Trane and are very pleased with it for our 2200sqft. 

The higher seer seems like a good idea for lower operating costs, but I'm not sure if it will result in a long term cost advantage. 

The reason that I mentioned not oversizing, from what I understand, is that if you end up with an oversized unit you may end up with loud 'air' noises, short cycling - which can reduce the life span of your furnace, and it is generally just more costly both to initially purchase and to operate.

I'm pretty sure we have a resident OR HVAC person though.... *edit* tim got it :)

Edited by OsuMj

The higher seer seems like a good idea for lower operating costs, but I'm not sure if it will result in a long term cost advantage. 

The reason that I mentioned not oversizing, from what I understand, is that if you end up with an oversized unit you may end up with loud 'air' noises, short cycling - which can reduce the life span of your furnace, and it is generally just more costly both to initially purchase and to operate.

I'm pretty sure we have a resident OR HVAC person though.... *edit* tim got it :)

You are correct with most units out there and short cycling. There are units out there that are a bit smarter now, and don't have to chase the temp setting so hard to run as often. It's as you said before, what's your budget and are you going for efficiency?

Edited by Mojoe

Mj hit it on the head with over/under sizing. Options are limitless on systems. From basic heat and cool to over the top communicating variable speed units.

Hey stranger. I have some work for you if you want.

Sorry for the dumb question, but did your home inspector make any notes concerning the HVAC system? The timing seems a little fishy.

Then you had the same thought as me! Literally day we moved in it wasn't right. Inspector claims it was working but I was there at inspection and he couldn't even figure out how to use the programmable thermostat.

Mj hit it on the head with over/under sizing. Options are limitless on systems. From basic heat and cool to over the top communicating variable speed units.

We're not looking fancy as we're only expecting 5 years in the home.