Deals Gap - Roads and Routes

Tpoppa

Little FYI - watch out by Fugitive Dam on 129.... it's full of tar snakes right over the bridge on the north side. About watched the Goldwing and HD in front of me both lose it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2016 at 6:32 PM, snot said:

His sack will be in the back pack next to the sammiches, not bringing the purse.

Just want to make sure that is clear.

:lol: NOW who wants a sammich?  :D

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Anyone heard of the Devils Whip? NC State Road 80?

21 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Yea huge elevation change. Prob be fun to go up but I wouldn't want to go down lol.

20 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

2000' in 12 miles? Pfft.... I'll do that shit on my bicycle. 

Not sure if that's 80 in NC you're all talking about.  I've ridden 80 in both TN and the NC portion and there isn't a huge elevation change.  I'm guessing what you're referring to is called Devil's Drop, which is NC151 off the BRP between Asheville and Waynesville.  About 2200' drop in under 4 miles.  Not scary steep but very tight and technical.  Fun to ride down from the pkwy to the bottom and then turn around and ride back up.  Hope you don't get stuck behind a car either way 'cause there ain't no way to pass!  I was with a group of riders on a week-long tour a few years ago and a guy on Triumph Rocket managed to boil his rear brake (mostly due to poor technique) on the run down.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/35.4341584,-82.7300936/35.4571432,-82.7340182/@35.4457513,-82.7368543,15.25z

12 hours ago, Tonik said:

Just north of 40 near Asheville.

Tonik:  Yup.  I've ridden the whole section of 80 from 226A south.  Pretty great road with lots of technical corners, altho not a lot of higher speed sweepers.  Only issue I have is that sections of it are fairly "built up" as far as houses and driveways, so lots of slower residential traffic and many opportunities for pucker moments in blind corners and hill crests.  Ride accordingly.  We almost always do the Roan Mtn run on 143/261 (Great little ride!) and then either head south on 80 or turn west to Burnsville and run 197 (Note:  There is about a 3 mile section of gravel at the top of the mtn) or do some goat paths over to hook up with 63/209 and on into Waynseville.

52 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I will ride it Tuesday and report back. It's the least I can do.  I was going to check out 226A anyways so ill make a loop out of it.

Love 226A! I have rode it a couple times.