Deals Gap - Roads and Routes

Tpoppa

I gotta say, the ride from Fontana to the triangle was terrible. I probably won't do the triangle again unless I'm just passing through. Triangle was OK but I'd rather ride 28 back and forth all day long than ride to the triangle again.

I do the Triangle on the way in and skip the bottom of it. Just grab 116 off of 75 at exit 129. Run 116 then drop down 62 to 140. That drops you right by the airport/Marysville. Nice easy ride across foothills pkwy then to get into the mountains.

Edited by Tonik

I do the Triangle on the way in and skip the bottom of it. Just grab 116 off of 75 at exit 129. Run 116 then drop down 62 to 140. That drops you right by the airport/Marysville. Nice easy ride across foothills pkwy then to get into the mountains.

Sounds like a good route to me! Thanks

• 1 year later...

45 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Since we're getting close to Gap time, figured I'd revive this to put some good route options back up top.

Would like to run UPs route above to the end, then take 28 all the way back to Fontana Village by dinner time.  Looks like a good ride

That is similar to what I do, but I run down 28 first.  Keeps you off the Skyway in the morning which can be wet, damp, foggy in the mornings.  I skip 19 and toss in 348 and 180/wolf pen gap.

https://goo.gl/maps/fgbbuk5zcn72

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Tonik said:

That is similar to what I do, but I run down 28 first.  Keeps you off the Skyway in the morning which can be wet, damp, foggy in the mornings.  I skip 19 and toss in 348 and 180/wolf pen gap.

https://goo.gl/maps/fgbbuk5zcn72

Valid point.  Better to give the higher elevations time to warm up and dry out a bit.  We'd like to try and hit GA19 @ Blood Mtn, but it's all weather pending of course.  If it rains much there can be quite a bit of sediment washing over the roads off the mountain = treacherous.

Edited by Hellmutt
Apparently I cant make my fat fucking thumbs spell

Valid point.  Better to give the higher elevations time to warm up and dry out a bit.  We'd like to try and hit GA19 @ Blood Mtn, but it's all weather pending of course.  If it rains much there can be quite a bit of sediment washing over the roads off the mountain = treacherous.

Been on it twice already this year and its clean. The section of 60 between Suches and 129 are getting a little rough but not bad if you do it uphill or northbound. Problem is I like to do Blood Mountian and Hogpen gap north bound as well. You just have to do some kind of figure 8 in that area to hit it all. And you MUST hit it all.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Been on it twice already this year and its clean. The section of 60 between Suches and 129 are getting a little rough but not bad if you do it uphill or northbound. Problem is I like to do Blood Mountian and Hogpen gap north bound as well. You just have to do some kind of figure 8 in that area to hit it all. And you MUST hit it all.

Did you happen to run 348 or 180 at all?  Just wonder if we shouldn't take 28 to Franklin, to 64, jump 175/75 down to 180 and 19?

35 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Did you happen to run 348 or 180 at all?  Just wonder if we shouldn't take 28 to Franklin, to 64, jump 175/75 down to 180 and 19?

64 west if Franklin sucks, plus you miss 28 south of Highlands and War Woman road. Doing it all in one day on a sportbike is pretty ambitious. Bust it up into two days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Bitch, please. 

Can you read? He is already trying to shorten the route. I am trying to help. You on the other hand have offered nothing helpful.

Not trying to shorten it, but add Blood Mtn to the mix and then pick the route back up.  Wife and I are good for 500ish miles a day as long as we get off the bikes every 1-2 hours

15 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Not trying to shorten it, but add Blood Mtn to the mix and then pick the route back up.  Wife and I are good for 500ish miles a day as long as we get off the bikes every 1-2 hours

The changes you suggested...going out 64 from Franklin shortened it by 50 miles.  If you want the original route plus Blood Mountain I would do the below:

https://goo.gl/maps/tSjyCoAyGiP2

Then where you see that marker that says 'Wolf Pen Gap'.  Just round trip Wolf Pen from there, you won't be sad.  But stick with it, half way across you will wonder WTF I sent you down that road, it doesn't get great until you go across the crappy bridge by a river and a small park.

There is a big gas station on the corner, you can't miss it.

You really don't want to skip 348 man, I promise.

• Upvote 1

Yes, yes yes...do not miss those roads. If you go down to that area and fail to hit 348 (Hogpen Gap) and 180 Wolf Pen Gap I'll slit your sack and put your leg through it. Hogpen Gap is one of my top 5 roads of all time.

Now between Clayton and that area I can tell you 357 and 197 are FRESH Tar Snake heaven and sucked ass. We jumped of off 197 and hit Burton Dam Rd. And Charlie Mountain Rd. they were much cleaner. 76 is okay mostly 4 lane, it is senic and has some bends but not a road you can speed on at all kinda like a freeway.

I'll post up the route I take when I go down there when I get to my computer.

• Upvote 1

Here is my route, you may think "only 265 miles?" But I'm telling you that you will be whooped by the end of the ride. I route avoids some of the BS areas and bypasses some of the tar snakes i mentioned.  Take the route counter clock wise and plan for dinner or late lunch at Cafe Rel and you will have a wonderful day. 

https://goo.gl/maps/ASwxR7ghA2N2

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

The changes you suggested...going out 64 from Franklin shortened it by 50 miles.  If you want the original route plus Blood Mountain I would do the below:

https://goo.gl/maps/tSjyCoAyGiP2

Then where you see that marker that says 'Wolf Pen Gap'.  Just round trip Wolf Pen from there, you won't be sad.  But stick with it, half way across you will wonder WTF I sent you down that road, it doesn't get great until you go across the crappy bridge by a river and a small park.

There is a big gas station on the corner, you can't miss it.

You really don't want to skip 348 man, I promise.

I was planning to roll back north from 19, some backtracking planned but wasn't sure about 180 or 348.  Both looked good on arial view and thought we may have ridden 180 last year, but I wasn't leading so I've no clue of our exact route.  We did run Blood Mtn though.  Both of those routes look like keepers Jim n Tim.  

18 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I was "bitch, please"-ing your comment about sportbikes. Some of us are harder riders than others. :)

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were taking the Multi on this trip.

I'm what you'd classify as a sport bike wimp and even I would do 450+ mile days with minimal complaining.

Except the first year it was just me Pauly and Matt. I complained a lot that year but every single mile was glorious 

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

I'll slit your sack and put your leg through it.

WHOA, Whoa, whoa.....you'd better be ready to stab my wife's purse full of holes if you plan to slit my sack fella!   And THAT'LL piss her little ass off something fierce....she loves that purse

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 3