Deals Gap - Roads and Routes

Tpoppa

Never been there before...what are the 'must ride' roads that are within a day's ride of Deal's Gap?

Foothills parkway, Cherohala skyway.

28 all the way to Highlands NC. And beyond if you have the time. But time it so you are in Franklin NC for lunch or dinner. Cafe Rel for Blue Crab Bisque. A bowl, not a cup. Cash only. If there is a line to get in wait.

Below are my go to routes for two days of hard riding down there....but I don't stay in the same place. You can pick them apart and get the roads to hit.

http://goo.gl/maps/wKjIl

http://goo.gl/maps/XW75H

• Upvote 1

Blue Ridge Parkway

Watch your speed on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is 45mph, and it is patrolled by federal park ranges. The southern end of the Blue Ridge Pkwy has really scenic overlooks. The road is also in good condition.

Edited by Connie14

War Woman Road is one I think we've hit every time down there riding with Pauly

28 South is an absolute must. It is a very close tie to being my favorite next to Cherehola

Edited by Bad324

Tonik, watch your one route(http://goo.gl/maps/XW75H)  The middle section of RT197 (N Fork Rd) is not paved for looks like around a mile or more.  If you zoom in and drop the google man just East of Dodd rd or at the intersection of N Fork and Ogle Meadows Rd you can see where the google car stopped when it turned to a dirt road and didn't map that section. 

Tonik, watch your one route(http://goo.gl/maps/XW75H)  The middle section of RT197 (N Fork Rd) is not paved for looks like around a mile or more.  If you zoom in and drop the google man just East of Dodd rd or at the intersection of N Fork and Ogle Meadows Rd you can see where the google car stopped when it turned to a dirt road and didn't map that section. 

Longer than a mile, and very rough and sketchy, saves a bunch time versus going back around though... The good part (paved section), is getting pretty rough too, still a challenge, and fun though.

Tpoppa, I will make a list of roads and send it.

• Upvote 1

Some of the lesser known roads are WAY better than the Dragon.  To note:

281-Canada Rd from Tuckasegee to Lake Toxaway

276 from Waynesville to 64 (crosses the BRP) and very easy to make fun loop with 215...

215 from Waynesville to 64 (crosses the BRP)

107 from Cullowee to 1001/Tilley Creek/Elijay Rd to 64 (near Highlands)

out of Hiawassee, GA, the loop of 76/197/356 into Helen, then 17 to return, or...

if you have the time (since you're already down there) include 348, 19, 180 (WolfPen Gap Rd), and 60

IMHO, War Woman is an OK ride but overrated, since the only REALLY good part is the eastern first few miles.

FYI:  If you get to GA, remember they now have the super speeder law, which doubles the fine for 20+ over--gets DAMN pricey!!!

Edited by Bubba

Some of the lesser known roads are WAY better than the Dragon. To note:

281-Canada Rd from Tuckasegee to Lake Toxaway

276 from Waynesville to 64 (crosses the BRP) and very easy to make fun loop with 215...

215 from Waynesville to 64 (crosses the BRP)

107 from Cullowee to 1001/Tilley Creek/Elijay Rd to 64 (near Highlands)

out of Hiawassee, GA, the loop of 76/197/356 into Helen, then 17 to return, or...

if you have the time (since you're already down there) include 348, 19, 180 (WolfPen Gap Rd), and 60

IMHO, War Woman is an OK ride but overrated, since the only REALLY good part is the eastern first few miles.

FYI: If you get to GA, remember they now have the super speeder law, which doubles the fine for 20+ over--gets DAMN pricey!!!

It would be you that already knew the routes I would say... Lol!

War woman is very over rated, and keep in mind it is where the movie deliverance was filmed.

60 is hands down my favorite road. 180 is a bit rough, but kinda fun especially on the right bike.

Basically: find Helen, GA.

28 from the gap to pretty much South Carolina is fun too.

;o)  

I can't take credit for finding any of those.  I was introduced to all of those by Rob Giles (Dice32 on OR) and the hard core riders from the LocalRiders site.  I have hooned thousands of miles of sweet twisties with that crew and never had an issue with anyone in the group being irresponsible….well, OK, except for the speeding part.

• 1 month later...