Who here has a bmw s1000rr

red1993sol

Hey guys like the title says I'm looking for some s1000rr owners. I'm looking to order one in the next few weeks and would like to ask a few questions pertaining to the bikes. If you have any insight into these please let me know and I'll pm you some questions if your willing to help. It's much appreciated thanks

I don't own one, but a dealership in the Cleveland area was advertising one on their facebook page for a decent price.  It only had 1800 miles or something stupid like that.  2011 model, I think.

And when I say "decent price," I mean I think you could get it down to a decent price based on what they're asking.  It was also at a car dealership, so the sales people probably aren't very familiar with bike values.

There is one memeber here that had one. kzz1997479611 something like that. Name is Keith. He's not on here much, cuz he's old, and living in Florida.

I know that with less that 500 miles the motor seized, exploded, and locked up the rear tire. All while spraying oil and motor pieces all over the effing road. 

Luckily he managed to keep it upright, and was able to walk away without injuiry.

He then had to fight with BMW and the dealership to replace the entire bike, not just the motor. Eventually they replaced it.

was there a diagnosis as to what caused catastrophic failure?

That kind of failure from a major motorcycle manufacturer is so rare, I am generally disinclined to believe it, and I would think if it did happen, BMW would be very on top of making things right for the customer to avoid a media firestorm.

I talked to a customer when I worked at iron pony who had a fucked up riding jacket.. Asked what happened.. His BMW was new (forgot what model, it was in 06) and the swingarm somehow broke in half while riding down the road and he slid on his back down the freeway... Welds must have let go or something.. But he said he was having a hard time getting the bike replaced by them and ended up having to just file on his insurance

Edited by Steve Butters

Check out Consumer Reports. (seriously). They say that BMW bikes are the worst for reliability, followed by Harley.

I met a guy on one of Hutch's rides that had a 2012 (I think) s1000rr that's engine had siezed. The dealer replaced the engine under warranty but in doing so neglected to secure the kickstand properly, causing the bike to fall over when the guy got it back. Personally, I don't think I'd want one. Good luck.

I like my boringly reliable Japanese machines, and with all of the many accessories and upgrades available for most models, they can be made to be quite pricey "yet still reliable" by the time the dust settles.

I ride with a Columbus guy with one, and he loves it. It's a pretty badass bike. I can hook you up with him, if you're seriously inquiring.

Edit: never mind.....looks like Lenko has you covered.

Edited by Blitz

was there a diagnosis as to what caused catastrophic failure?

That kind of failure from a major motorcycle manufacturer is so rare, I am generally disinclined to believe it, and I would think if it did happen, BMW would be very on top of making things right for the customer to avoid a media firestorm.

I was there. It happened. It was on one of Hutch's rides. Oil sprayed everywhere in front of me. Luckily the guy kept it up, but we were all in awe that that beautiful brand new machine squirted itself out the back end for seemingly no reason.

But my other friend with one rides the piss out of it, I think his is a year newer.

• Upvote 1

I've put almost 15k on my 2010 with no issues.. Just shy of 5k, mostly track miles on my 12. I have read a handful of stories of engines going south, mostly older 10s.

All bias opinions aside.. It's an amazing bike and haven't ridden a bike that compares to it. The abs/traction control is smoother in the 12s and up. As well the suspension changes alone are worth getting a 12 or newer.

I have a 2013 and have had no issues but it still has very low miles (~2500).  This bike puts out a lot of HP and has a lot of electronics, so don't expect Honda-like reliability (if I wanted that I would have bought one).  That said, I think the new bikes are a little more reliable than the early models which I believe had a lighter crankshaft?  But I could be wrong.

My previous bikes were mostly 600RRs (2003 & 2007).  I'd say the ergos on BMW are somewhere between a 2006 600rr and 2007 600rr.  Brakes and engine are great.  Transmission was notchy at first but once broken in it's not bad, not Honda smooth though.  I've hit a couple false-neutrals, but other S1000rr owners find it to be more of a problem.  Mine have mostly come when I've been a lazy shifter.

Feel free to shoot me a PM...I'll try to remember to sign on and check my inbox.

I've put almost 15k on my 2010 with no issues.. Just shy of 5k, mostly track miles on my 12. I have read a handful of stories of engines going south, mostly older 10s.

All bias opinions aside.. It's an amazing bike and haven't ridden a bike that compares to it. The abs/traction control is smoother in the 12s and up. As well the suspension changes alone are worth getting a 12 or newer.

Have to agree, it is an amazing bike and the traction control has saved my ass a couple times when I was pushing my luck on cold tires.

AJ! I already tole ya all of the above : ) yeah, Keith from Warsaw was one, I forget who the second guy was that windowed his motor....

nice to see ya still lurking on bd., yah, and loved the picture of the new bike ya showed me.

Smiles all around.

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles

• 3 weeks later...